Actors from the 78 Famous Five Series

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Re: Actors from the 78 Famous Five Series

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I did watch. It was lovely to see Julian and Anne, all grown and chatting. Pity it wasn't on for a bit longer.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

I finally managed to watch the Thames Valley Tonight feature about the Famous Five series after yet more difficulties with the ITV.com website. Marcus Harris and Jennifer Thanisch came over very well indeed and we were even treated to a tantalising glimpse of behind the scenes footage of the actual filming. What other goodies lurk in the Southern TV vaults? Potential items there as extras for a DVD box-set, should that ever happen.

My only complaint is that the feature was far too short, we could done with at least 10 minutes, preferably 30! :) Also Gary Russell should have been included, I assume that he was occupied elsewhere.

Thames Valley Tonight

Overseas forum members will probably be unable to view this. I may be be able rectify this situation later on. :wink:
Last edited by Petermax on 29 Aug 2008, 15:36, edited 2 times in total.
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Post by Pippa-Stef »

Thanks Petermax!

I didn't realise it was on the news though!

Edit:That was very nice to see! I really enjoyed that!
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/
Wouter

Post by Wouter »

Indeed, the following message appears (here in Belgium):
"Sorry the video you have chosen is only available to users in the UK" :(

Looking forward for a solution... :wink:
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Thanks, Petermax! It really was a treat to see that. I was surprised to learn that Jennifer Thanisch hasn't watched the series since it was first broadcast in the 1970s.
Petermax wrote: Marcus Harris and Jennifer Thanisch came over very well indeed and we were even treated to a tantalising glimpse of behind the scenes footage of the actual filming. What other goodies lurk in the Southern TV vaults? Potential items there as extras for a DVD box-set, should that ever happen.
I was thinking that too! :)

Hope Petermax is able to help you, Wouter!

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Post by Pippa-Stef »

Could someone, use a web cam to record it and put it on Youtube? :?
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

Wouter wrote:Indeed, the following message appears (here in Belgium):
"Sorry the video you have chosen is only available to users in the UK" :(
Looking forward for a solution... :wink:
As a temporary measure pending a more satisfactory solution using software, I have filmed the screen of my PC with a camcorder. The results are as expected, quite a bit of strobing and high contrast. Anyway, it now means that our overseas members can at long last view the programme. Here is the link.

EDIT I have now linked to a flicker free, higher quality version.

I note with interest that Marcus Harris mentioned that the cast appeared at book signings and Saturday morning TV shows. I presume that he was perhaps referring to the Saturday Banana, a Southern TV childrens show hosted by Bill Oddie. I used to watch this occasionally, but I do not recall the Five being interviewed.

I do however, remember the giant yellow banana planted outside Southern TV studios. Sadly, the Saturday Banana ended after a few months due to industrial action.
Last edited by Petermax on 30 Aug 2008, 16:52, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Russell
Favourite book/series: FF
Favourite character: well duh...

Post by Gary Russell »

Petermax wrote:
I note with interest that Marcus Harris mentioned that the cast appeared at book signings and Saturday morning TV shows. I presume that he was perhaps referring to the Saturday Banana, a Southern TV childrens show hosted by Bill Oddie.
It was indeed. We were stunningly awful on an amazingly disorganised show - a truly amusing-with-hindsight-but-at-the-time-godawful experience. I seem to recall that Michelle and I (oh, quelle surprise) did most of the talking.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Very interesting, and good to see Jennifer Thanisch again after all these years. :D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Many thanks for posting those links Petermax. A very interesting segment, as others have said, its a pity it was'nt longer. I'm amazed that Jennifer has'nt seen the show since it was broadcast and that her children have not see it either. If my mum had been in a TV show I know I would be consumed with curiosity to see it.

Hopefully someday we will get all three of them to the annual EBS day to talk in depth about their experiences. And also hopefully we will get a DVD release of the series. It was really interesting to see glimpses of the filming process.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Lucky Star wrote: Hopefully someday we will get all three of them to the annual EBS day to talk in depth about their experiences. And also hopefully we will get a DVD release of the series.
Yes, that would be really lovely L.S. Looking forward to that day, and the hopefull DVD's :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

Gary Russell wrote:It was indeed. We were stunningly awful on an amazingly disorganised show - a truly amusing-with-hindsight-but-at-the-time-godawful experience. I seem to recall that Michelle and I (oh, quelle surprise) did most of the talking.
If only the Saturday Banana show had been archived, it was common practice back then for broadcast video tape to be re-used due to the fact that it was rather expensive. This fate also befell many early Dr Who episodes.

With regard to the Thames TV interview, I have now linked to a higher quality version posted to Youtube by a fellow 70's series fan. Enjoy!
Wouter

Post by Wouter »

Petermax wrote:As a temporary measure pending a more satisfactory solution using software, I have filmed the screen of my PC with a camcorder. The results are as expected, quite a bit of strobing and high contrast. Anyway, it now means that our overseas members can at long last view the programme. Here is the link.
Thank you Petermax!
Great to see Marcus and Jennifer again, and I wished that Gary was also in the show.
Ed Fulcrum

Post by Ed Fulcrum »

Absolutely fantastic, thanks for youtubin 'the clip!!

Just goes to show that there must be loads of archive footage somewhere.
I wonder where Thames tonight sourced it. It looks to be in quite good shape too!

I wonder when they showed Jennifer the episode was it just a VHS or did they dig the original film out of the vaults?
Yan

Post by Yan »

Petermax wrote: Marcus Harris and Jennifer Thanisch came over very well indeed and we were even treated to a tantalising glimpse of behind the scenes footage of the actual filming. What other goodies lurk in the Southern TV vaults? Potential items there as extras for a DVD box-set, should that ever happen.
Thank you so much for putting this on YouTube !!!
I was absolutely thrilled to see behind the scenes footage. I never thought this would still exist today !!! It really would be excellent to see more of it. Let´s pray it will be served for us.

Yes, it really was strange that Jenny had not watched the series since it's first broadcasting. But that fits to the fact that she didn´t appear in the public or on the Enid Blyton Days all the years before. I think that was because she was not much interested in the series anymore. But I´m really happy that she obviously changed her opinion now. :)