Famous Five, TV comeback?

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Famous Five, TV comeback?

Post by Pippa-Stef »

Just through a random Twitter search, I came across this article about a rumoured TV come back for the Famous Five. And this one.

As you can read in the article the idea appears to have George as a modern girl, who travels back in time to solve mysteries with the rest of the Five.

I assume it will be aimed at Children, but the article doesn't really state that. It does state that they want it to be a bit like Dr Who, so can we assume that it might be 'family' orientated?

Any news from up on high- Tony?- Just wondering if we might have another "Famous Five on the Case" catastrophe. :|
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/
Dick Kirrin
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Julian, Dick

Re: Famous Five, TV comeback?

Post by Dick Kirrin »

There were similar rumours that a tie-in with the 1970s TV series was planned in which the now grown-up Five (or rather Four, as Timmy won't be around any more I suppose) fell into a situation that requires action in the familiar way. Nothing more was heard of it - and so I'm rather sceptical that this is going to happen.
The idea of time-travelling has already been used slightly too often, so it might just as well never be produced or aired.
But it could be great - if it was to happen. The article says that it'll be 45' episodes, which is better than the 25' they had in the 1990s and (with the occasional two-parter) in the 1970s, so there might be some in-depth plot and storyline.

Cheers

Dick Kirrin
"You just never knew what would happen. It made life exciting, of course - but it did spoil a cycling tour!"
Miss Pepper

Post by Miss Pepper »

Thank you for posting those links.That sounds fascinating.Thank You
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Thanks, Stef. I'm glad you provided two links, because when I clicked on the first one I got a message saying I'd have to pay £225 if I wanted to read the article (and all other articles on that site for a year)!

It sounds odd to me to have George and Timmy as time-travellers. I'd prefer it if a child/teenager from the future went back into the past and met all the Five - a bit like Amanda going back to the time of Jane Austen's characters in Lost in Austen.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Post by Jack400 »

That's odd as it let me read it -however was not able to see any FF relevance.Took a second look (after reading Anita's post) and the message that Anita must have seen was displayed!

Jack
Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I can't help but wonder how nobody's going to notice a modern girl with no home and no parents suddenly hanging around.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Wayne Pyer
Favourite book/series: adventure/find outers
Favourite character: Bill Smugs/Kiki/Fatty

Post by Wayne Pyer »

And if George is travelling back to meet Aunt Fanny and Uncle Quentin, I'm assuming they are not her parents, so what's her connection to the others.
Wayne, living in an Enid Blyton world.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:Thanks, Stef. I'm glad you provided two links, because when I clicked on the first one I got a message saying I'd have to pay £225 if I wanted to read the article (and all other articles on that site for a year)!
Me too! I remember thinking that if Stef can afford to pay such an amount to have access to this site, I hope she is a fully paid up subscriber to the Journal! :wink:
Society Member
Dinah Cunningham
Favourite book/series: Adventure Series and the Famous Five
Favourite character: Everyone of the Adventure Series, George, Timmy

Post by Dinah Cunningham »

I think that it does sound strange with the time travel and meeting only Anne, Dick and Julian in the original time.
Wayne Pyer wrote:And if George is travelling back to meet Aunt Fanny and Uncle Quentin, I'm assuming they are not her parents, so what's her connection to the others.
The only way I see that this could work is, that George is somehow "replaced" with the time travelling George but then the question is: what happens to the original George?

I can't really see how that could work...
Bill: "I don't know what to say. You're only kids — but you're the finest company of friends anyone could have. You know the meaning of loyalty already, and even if you're scared you don't give up. I'm proud to have you for my friends."
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

It's all about the books!
Society Member
Dinah Cunningham
Favourite book/series: Adventure Series and the Famous Five
Favourite character: Everyone of the Adventure Series, George, Timmy

Post by Dinah Cunningham »

Moonraker wrote:It's all about the books!
Mh? I don't understand the meaning of what you're saying.
Bill: "I don't know what to say. You're only kids — but you're the finest company of friends anyone could have. You know the meaning of loyalty already, and even if you're scared you don't give up. I'm proud to have you for my friends."
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Nor do I Dinah, but with Nigel it's not unusual! :lol:
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Zar Quon

Post by Zar Quon »

to develop The Famous Five for today's audience while retaining the core values of the original stories
To do the former probably negates the latter (Ain't I the cynic!)

and:
it's the perfect time to introduce a fresh new take
Radical idea, but why not just take the book(s) & make a (period set) tv series? Too easy I guess....
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Daisy wrote:Nor do I Dinah, but with Nigel it's not unusual! :lol:
:D
Enid Blyton is all about reading her books. Don't worry about film/tv versions, they don't count. The phrase, "It's all about...." is an English expression which enables one to express an opinion without a contradictory reply. Unless it's "No it isn't!" :twisted:
Society Member
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Post by Pippa-Stef »

Moonraker wrote:
Anita Bensoussane wrote:Thanks, Stef. I'm glad you provided two links, because when I clicked on the first one I got a message saying I'd have to pay £225 if I wanted to read the article (and all other articles on that site for a year)!
Me too! I remember thinking that if Stef can afford to pay such an amount to have access to this site, I hope she is a fully paid up subscriber to the Journal! :wink:

When I clicked on it, there was nothing about paying at all. Maybe you have to enter it through twitter or something, I don't know, but I got no such message about £225.
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/