Confused about various DVDs of FF series - pls help

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
carina

Confused about various DVDs of FF series - pls help

Post by carina »

Hi all, I'm new and joined specifically to ask this question! Having read through posts here and endless online searching I am so confused about the Famous Five dvds available. Is someone able to give me a concise rundown on the various DVDs available please!!! I know that there is a Dutch version where the show itself is in English (not sure if its the 1978 series or 1996) and there is a German version too (is it in english? which series is it?) and I heard that there is one that has the 1996 characters on the cover but actually has the 1978 episodes plus a few of the 1996 series :? and I've heard is that there is some missing episodes that can be bought individually too. Problem is, when I'm searching to purchase none of this is clear..ahhhhh. Your help would be greatly appreciated as I'm wanting to get the set for my son to watch once he graduates from Secret Seven books to Famous Five books. I watched the 1978 series as a girl and would love to relive it all with him. Never seen the 1996 series but have heard good things about it too. Anyway any help would be so welcomed!! Thanks in advance. :D
Moonraker

Re: Confused about various DVDs of FF series - pls help

Post by Moonraker »

Hallo and welcome, carina. I will leave the answer to your question from our more knowledgeable members of the Southern Television series. I know there is a German edition on sale, but I believe with German subtitles onscreen. Enjoy the forums! :D
Society Member
Wayne Pyer
Favourite book/series: adventure/find outers
Favourite character: Bill Smugs/Kiki/Fatty

Post by Wayne Pyer »

Hello and welcome carina. :D
Wayne, living in an Enid Blyton world.
Timmylover
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Five Find-Outers, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Have a guess

Post by Timmylover »

Hello Carina and welcome to the forums.

I have the Dutch DVDs and they are of the 1996 series. They include every story except Five Go To Smuggler's Top. I can't tell you much about the 1978 series except that I can't stand it! :lol: There is, apparently, a pirated set of DVDs of that series, which shouldn't be touched with a barge-pole.

Although I prefer the 1996 series aesthetically, I must admit that I'm not a great fan of either of the TV series. In most cases there have been annoying changes to the plots and I don't think that they capture the spirit of the original books at all.

I do hope that your son enjoys the Famous Five books - they are my favourites.
"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers".
Charles W. Eliot, The Happy Life, 1896.
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

The only official proper release of the 1978 series is the German set released last year. We are still hoping that it gets a British release. The German set is completely remastered and looks very good indeed. You can buy it on Amazon's German site. As previously mentioned you can view the episodes in Englisg but there will be German subtitles on the screen.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

If you look on this page, both series seem to be available. Interestingly, the 70s series is said to play in English without subtitles.
Society Member
Lucky Star

Post by Lucky Star »

Moonraker wrote:If you look on this page, both series seem to be available. Interestingly, the 70s series is said to play in English without subtitles.
So it does. Thats interesting. The subitles are the main reason that I have held off from buying the set. I was waiting for a release without them as I had understood that they could not be turned off. Curiouser and curiouser. :lol:
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Moonraker wrote:Interestingly, the 70s series is said to play in English without subtitles.
That is interesting. I thought that set had been produced for the German market, and that the German subtitles couldn't be turned off?
Lucky Star wrote:The subitles are the main reason that I have held off from buying the set. I was waiting for a release without them as I had understood that they could not be turned off.
Same here.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I was tempted to buy the 90s series, but a comment said the sound was low, and if you turned it up there was a slight hissing noise. It only costs £16 which makes me wonder if they are pirated. That, with the sound issue, rather puts me off. The 70s series is £80, which also put me off!
Society Member
Lucky Star

Post by Lucky Star »

Moonraker wrote: The 70s series is £80, which also put me off!
Yes that is also a factor at the moment. :cry:

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Moonraker wrote:I was tempted to buy the 90s series, but a comment said the sound was low, and if you turned it up there was a slight hissing noise. It only costs £16 which makes me wonder if they are pirated.
I keep meaning to buy the 1990s series on DVD but have never got round to it. I've got some episodes on video, but not the whole lot. Does anyone know whether the set on the link is genuine? And if you own the 1990s series on DVD, have you had any problems with the sound?

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I wouldn't have thought a company such as Amazon would sell pirated copies, but you never know... At £16, you could always buy them, you can send them back if they're not up to standard! :D
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Moonraker wrote:I wouldn't have thought a company such as Amazon would sell pirated copies, but you never know...
It appears that both sets are currently only available from "sellers" rather than directly from Amazon, so it's hard to be sure.

Society Member
Timmylover
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Five Find-Outers, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Have a guess

Post by Timmylover »

I haven't had any problems with the sound on the Dutch DVDs. They certainly don't appear to be pirated - sound and picture perfect.
"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers".
Charles W. Eliot, The Happy Life, 1896.
Zar Quon

Post by Zar Quon »

Lucky Star wrote:
Moonraker wrote: The 70s series is £80, which also put me off!
Yes that is also a factor at the moment. :cry:
35 quid via Amazon.de plus P&P probably, but it's the same set as on t'other link.