Malory Towers Dream Team

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Tilda
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Malory Towers, Adventure

Malory Towers Dream Team

Post by Tilda »

Okay, so if a TV series or film was made of Malory Towers, which modern day actors would you choose for what roles?
dolly
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers, St. Clares
Favourite character: Carlotta, Alicia

Re: Malory Towers Dream Team

Post by dolly »

I am not familiar with the British actors at all ...

Hopefully, the story Malory Towers movie would reflect the spirit of the original books - the story MUST take place in the forties, I really DISLIKE modernization of books, I know I am a little conservative and narrow-minded concerning this topic.

Last year the German version of "St. Clares" were produced - I expected a modernized story, but it did not find my approval!
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I'd be rather nervous about any TV or film versions of the books. I looked forward to Ballet Shoes which was filmed a couple of years back and was extremely disappointed. :cry:

I can't think of any actors to suggest for the parts, hopefully not the ones from High School Musical though!
Society Member
Tilda

Post by Tilda »

Of course it would be a shame if the story was modernised, but using modern equipment and techniques, the film could be fantastic. Katharine, what were your main problems with Ballet Shoes?
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Tilda, where do you want me to start?

If I remember correctly there was swearing in the first scene or two - totally unnecessary for a programme based on a children's book. 'Uncle Vernon' who played the part of GUM wasn't portrayed at all the way I thought he should be, ie pompous not wanting his neice to stay, rather than vague and kindly as in the book.

Although I think Emma Watson is a fantastic actress in Harry Potter I thought she was totally wrong for Ballet Shoes, apart from fact she didn't seem to be able to dance she was far too old for the part of Pauline. In fact all the girls seemed a bit too grown up, especially bearing in mind the era it was set when girls didn't mature as quickly as they do today. Theo came across as a crazy drug taker, the Doctor's relationship was hinted at being more than just friendship - I certainly never picked up either of those impressions from the book. Sylvia did not have a relationship with Mr. Simpson in the book - he was married - so no need for the suggested love triangle between them and Theo.

I'm sure there were other examples too, but I only watched it the once and was so disgusted I wiped it from my VCR. In fact it's the closest I ever came to writing to the BBC to complain. Shortly afterwards I managed to track down a video tape of the original BBC series and was pleased to discover it was as good as I'd remembered it from my childhood. Which just goes to show it is possible to make a programme which sticks largely to the book.

I realise I'm probably in the minority with my views as it seems to have been highly acclaimed. The only point the programme had in it's favour was that the clothes, furniture etc appear to be accurate for the period.
Society Member
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Post by Pippa-Stef »

I think Jemima Rooper would have made an excellent Darrell, starting from the age of twleve and working up of course. She could still make a very good Grown-up Darrell. :)

A blonde Emma Watson with her long hair (not her new pixie do) might pass for Sally, she's got the poise after all.

Eileen Atkins would possibly make a Good Miss Grayling or Miss Potts. Or Miss James. To be honest any of the old school actresses would make good school teachers for the Misstress.

Could Carey Mulligan pull off Mary-Lou? Or as a brunette would she better as Bill? :P

Talullah Riley (from St Trinnians(the remakes)) as Alicia?
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/
Tilda

Post by Tilda »

Wow, yes, I can really imagine that cast!