70's series new dvd release!

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Kirrin

70's series new dvd release!

Post by Kirrin »

I have found a website that is selling a release of the 70's series!
is this legit then? :?:

Edit: I've removed the link because we don't want to promote bootleg DVDs, though it is very frustrating that it doesn't look as if there's going to be an official DVD release of the series any time soon. - Anita
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Re: 70's series new dvd release!

Post by Lucky Star »

Kirrin wrote:I have found a website that is selling a release of the 70's series!
Sadly there are no legit DVDs of the 70's Famous Five series....and it may be a long time (if ever) before there is one. The only legit copies around are old VHS videos which crop up on ebay fairly regularly. Inevitably however, these tapes are old and some of them are not very good quality any longer.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
auscatherine

Post by auscatherine »

I so wish this series was available on dvd. My brother is in the dvd importing business so maybe I will ask him how we would go about petitioning someone to release it. I am sure there would be a sufficient potential market for it. There was an Australian series of Seven Little Australians made about the same time and even that is available on dvd now, despite the market being pretty much limited to Australians.
Jeffery Greyling
Favourite book/series: Secret Mountain, V. of Adventure, FF and Barney M.

Post by Jeffery Greyling »

Haven't seen that series Catherine, although we have the book with the cover from it. I also have an audio book of Seven Little Australians, read by Judy Morris (remember Mother And Son?). Have you read all the sequels? Judy And Punch is a lesser known sequel, but well worth the read if you come across it.
"I gave half a crown to a beggar because I saw him yawn; he was a fellow-sufferer."
(The Thirty-nine Steps)
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

Kirrin wrote:I have found a website that is selling a release of the 70's series!
I personally think that as long as nobody knows who has the rights for the show nobody will sue them so they can make their profit out of it. At least TV rights seem to available again in Germany, although at least some of the episodes are shortened, or some of my friends may call it PAXed ;-)
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
auscatherine

Post by auscatherine »

It is probably still available in ABC shops, John. Ruth Cracknell played the house keeper in it and there are a few other familiar faces. I think my mum still has my nana's old copy of Punch and Judy which I also read as a kid. Judy was the best character. We live quite near Ethel Turner's old home in Sydney and I think the series was filmed in the same area (as was Skippy, funnily enough). There is a Seven Little Australians park we have taken our kids to.

What does PAXed mean, Wolfgang?
Last edited by auscatherine on 23 Oct 2009, 23:37, edited 1 time in total.
Jeffery Greyling

Oh, you just gave it away Catherine!
"I gave half a crown to a beggar because I saw him yawn; he was a fellow-sufferer."
(The Thirty-nine Steps)
auscatherine

Post by auscatherine »

I will edit that out, John.
Jeffery Greyling

I just didn't want to spoil the story for all the people on the forum who are planning to read it. :wink:
(The Thirty-nine Steps)
Jeffery Greyling

1939 Film of Seven Little Australians

I just remembered I have the VHS of the 1939 film too. I don't think I've watched the whole thing yet, but will in the hols.

I do think some of the people on the forums would enjoy the book, so I've posted a link to a copy on eBay UK which seems to be quite cheap.
(The Thirty-nine Steps)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I remember watching Seven Little Australians on TV when I was quite young. A particularly sad episode was shown when my auntie (then in her late teens) was staying with us and I think even she shed a few tears!

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

auscatherine wrote: What does PAXed mean, Wolfgang?
There's a US-American station called PAX. When they made a rerun of a TV show some of my friends complained that they were removing parts of the show to make room for more commercials. They called this "PAXed" versions...
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
MysteryOfTheGreatAuk
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Jack (Adventure)

Post by MysteryOfTheGreatAuk »

hi everyone. Is FF 1997 DVD worth buying? Thanks.
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

MysteryOfTheGreatAuk wrote:hi everyone. Is FF 1997 DVD worth buying? Thanks.
I would say yes. The 1990's HTV series is set in the very early 1950's and therefore in keeping with the time period in which many of the Five books were published. Official DVD box-sets are available but not in the UK. This situation is easily remedied if you look on Amazon or Ebay.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Petermax wrote:
MysteryOfTheGreatAuk wrote:hi everyone. Is FF 1997 DVD worth buying? Thanks.
I would say yes. The 1990's HTV series is set in the very early 1950's and therefore in keeping with the time period in which many of the Five books were published.
I definitely echo Petermax's answer. In my opinion, the 90s series is far superior to the 70s adaptations. I know the majority seem to prefer the TVS versions, but I was lucky enough not to have been introduced to Blyton in this era, so much prefer the more 'costume drama' style of the HTV programmes.
Society Member