Island Of Adventure 1982

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Phil

Island Of Adventure 1982

Post by Phil »

Hi
Does anyone know if this has been released or where to obtain it?

I need tthe 1982 'Island of Adventure' film starring Normal Bowler, Wilfrid Brambell and Eleanor Summerfield for a research project but can't seem to find it anywhere!!

I would be greatful for any help!!

:)
Tony Summerfield

Re: Island Of Adventure 1982

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Yes Phil, it was released on video both here and in America but it certainly isn't available now. Occasionally secondhand copies come up on ebay, but it is pretty scarce and you would be unlikely to find a copy in a hurry.
Phil

Post by Phil »

Thank you Tony.

At least there has been a release, I will do my best to find it and I know it is not currently available, that saves me looking around for it. Ironically, I only need to view a small part of it for a research project.

Thank you again.

Phil
Naureen

Post by Naureen »

Here is the link to get it: DELETED

Sorry, but the link led to details of an illegal DVD copy so I removed it because we don't want to promote illegal copies on the website. It is frustrating that there hasn't been an official DVD release, though. - Anita
Clare
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers
Favourite character: Buster

Post by Clare »

Phil wrote:I need tthe 1982 'Island of Adventure' film starring Normal Bowler, Wilfrid Brambell and Eleanor Summerfield ...
I haven't seen that for decades, but I videoed it off the TV and must have watched it over and over again, because I still remember the theme tune!

And, that fellow who took the cyanide capsule at the end (surely that didn't happen in the book??), wasn't he in The Lord of the Rings films?
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

I remember that! Bill had a full head of hair, Jack was bespectacled, Philip and Dinah were blonde.

As for Jo-Jo...
Ed Fulcrum

Post by Ed Fulcrum »

I remember being very excited about watching this adaptation when it was first released on TV as 'The Island of Adventure' was one of my favourite Enid Blyton books.

I seem to remember being very disappointed as the characters weren't at all as I had imagined them, especially Jack!!!

I happen to still have one of those companion books that was released with the film, (probably for the Christmas market that year I would imagine).
I must hunt it out of storage the next time I'm home to remind myself exactly how it looked!!
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I have a companion 'annual' to the film of 'Island of Adventure', too. It features plenty of photographs from the film, but none of the children really look as I imagined they would. There are some good pictures featuring Wilfred Bramble as Uncle Jocelyn, and Norman Bowler as a (none bald) Bill. In the front of the book is a statement telling us ' the main story of this colour illustrated edition remains unchanged from Enid Blyton's original book 'The Island of Adventure' but the setting and dialogue have been brought up to date' 8) Jo, of course, has been 'whitened' for the film, as for the modern reprints of the book... :roll:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member