Enid Blyton Biopic on BBC 4 - 'Enid'

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Red Tower
Favourite book/series: Adventure series/FF/Secret Series/R Mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Re: Enid Blyton Biopic on BBC4

Post by Red Tower »

On again on BBC4 at 21.00 tonight, followed by a repeat at 01.35.
Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

I'm beginning to feel that this film has been shown more times than The Sound of Music...

Each time it is shown it has the same effect as Gerald Ratner describig his stock as C@*P. It is the main thing that people are heard discussing as they go around the Ginger Pop Shops.

sigh....

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

As nearly all of the digital-exclusive channels seem to show nothing but repeats, I'm thinking of renaming Virgin Media as Slapper Media. The only thing that is constantly new is the money that goes out of my bank account each month to pay for them!
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Moonraker wrote:As nearly all of the digital-exclusive channels seem to show nothing but repeats, I'm thinking of renaming Virgin Media as Slapper Media.
:lol:
Moonraker wrote:The only thing that is constantly new is the money that goes out of my bank account each month to pay for them!
We only have Freeview, but much of the time there's nothing to view on any channel except a sign saying "No signal". :(
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:
Moonraker wrote:As nearly all of the digital-exclusive channels seem to show nothing but repeats, I'm thinking of renaming Virgin Media as Slapper Media.
:lol:
Moonraker wrote:The only thing that is constantly new is the money that goes out of my bank account each month to pay for them!
We only have Freeview, but much of the time there's nothing to view on any channel except a sign saying "No signal". :(
I know the feeling Anita, although things have improved recently. Still not perfect though. A week or so ago I tried watching 'This Happy Breed'. It was rather frustrating as once or twice the sound disapeared. Then after one set of adverts the sound and picture timing was wrong, so the dialogue didn't match the mouth movements, it didn't rectify itself until the next break.
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

That is exactly what I get when I try to watch BBC iplayer on my computer!!
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I actually haven't seen this before!

Edit: I'm actually watching the Bookmark programme about Enid that started at 10.25. It's truly bizarre.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Fiona1986 wrote: Edit: I'm actually watching the Bookmark programme about Enid that started at 10.25. It's truly bizarre.
I've searched for Bookmark on iPlayer, but it says, "Not available." How annoying. :|
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I watched the drama, Enid, again last night as it was on once more, (even though I do have the DVD) and each time I watch I think it's rather sad. Enid was a troubled lady I feel but a genius.

I also watched the Bookmark after it, and that was very good also. Barbara Stoney was narrating parts of the programme, Enid's daughter Gillian was saying what a happy childhood she had, but Imogen didn't appear, an actress was on quoting parts of Imogen's book, A Childhood at Green Hedges. This I thought was very well done and told the story of Enid better that the drama. Still sad in a way! :(

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Moonraker wrote:
Fiona1986 wrote: Edit: I'm actually watching the Bookmark programme about Enid that started at 10.25. It's truly bizarre.
I've searched for Bookmark on iPlayer, but it says, "Not available." How annoying. :|
I quite agree. I've seen 'Enid' a couple of times so didn't bother to try and watch it again. I've never seen the Bookmark programme and would have liked to. I just hope that's one repeat that does come up again. :cry:
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I didn't realise that the Bookmark programme was in fact the Maureen Lipman drama that I had on DVD! The BBC repeat showing was heavily edited - up to 50%, I believe. I seem to remember that it was so badly edited that much of it didn't make sense!
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Moonraker wrote:I didn't realise that the Bookmark programme was in fact the Maureen Lipman drama that I had on DVD! The BBC repeat showing was heavily edited - up to 50%, I believe. I seem to remember that it was so badly edited that much of it didn't make sense!
Please can you tell me the name of the Maureen Lipman drama? I've had a quick 'google' and couldn't find a relevant DVD.
Society Member
Red Tower
Favourite book/series: Adventure series/FF/Secret Series/R Mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by Red Tower »

Katharine wrote:Please can you tell me the name of the Maureen Lipman drama? I've had a quick 'google' and couldn't find a relevant DVD.
I am not sure if the dvd is available, but this the programme:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1082284/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Katharine wrote:I've had a quick 'google' and couldn't find a relevant DVD.
I think the programme (Bookmark - Sunny Stories) was only ever available to buy through the Enid Blyton Society (as a video, not a DVD) and that only about 50 copies were made, produced by writer/director Ken Howard.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Any time I've noticed the Enid Documentary on the bbc4 listing, it's been followed by the bookmark documentary. It was certainly interesting, though the acted parts were certainly odd.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member