Enid Blyton Biopic on BBC 4 - 'Enid'

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Re: Enid Blyton Biopic on BBC4

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Well, what a read? I wonder how true it is that Enid played tennis nude. :shock: I see they've spelt Barbara Stoney's name incorrect, they left off the Y.

Reading that article, I expect the programme will be watched by thousands now. :lol:

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

The Independent article churns out the same old hackneyed comments that are always used in articles about Enid Blyton, and jumps to a few conclusions, but I suppose it will generate some interest in the Enid Blyton film (not necessarily for the right reasons as you suggest, Julie! :wink: ) I've heard before about the nude tennis matches and wondered whether there's any truth in the rumour.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

First time I've heard of nude tennis! :shock:

I'm not sure what to make of the article. It sounds interesting, but will it be interesting? I wonder how they'll rate it!

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

An interesting article. I wonder where they got the figure of 753 books from since nobody can seem able to agree exactly how many books Enid wrote. At least the project is attracting media interest which bodes well for its success.

The photo of Enid and Gillian accompanying the article is a lovely one. They both look so youthful and fashionable (for the time). How strange to reflect that they have both now passed on. :cry:
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Lucky Star wrote:An interesting article. I wonder where they got the figure of 753 books from since nobody can seem able to agree exactly how many books Enid wrote.
I was wondering that too. Perhaps they counted up the books in the bibliography in the latest edition of Barbara Stoney's Enid Blyton - the Biography? Haven't time to check whether there are actually 753 titles listed there, but in any case it's debatable what counts as a "book" - eg. some of the picture books have very little text, many short story collections are made up from (or at least include a few) stories which appeared elsewhere earlier, some books have been reprinted several times with different titles, etc. And what about all the magazines which Enid Blyton either wrote in their entirety or contributed to?

Anita

Society Member
Enikyoga

Post by Enikyoga »

There is an Internet listing that I read several years ago and it put the numbers of books that Enid
Blyton published at 746. However, I am in agreement that no one will ever know the exact
amount of books she published.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:The Independent article churns out the same old hackneyed comments that are always used in articles about Enid Blyton, and jumps to a few conclusions, but I suppose it will generate some interest in the Enid Blyton film (not necessarily for the right reasons as you suggest, Julie! :wink: ) I've heard before about the nude tennis matches and wondered whether there's any truth in the rumour.

Anita
I thought that too: why is it that journalists always have to talk about being 'a brick' and using the words 'golly' and 'gosh' and 'lashings of ginger beer'!! :roll:

The first half of the article just reads like any of the articles about Enid that have been written since her death: just churning out the same old facts, and I just found myself wishing they would get on with telling us about the TV drama rather than the old rumours and innaccuracies (such as suggesting that 'The Three Golliwogs' are muggers!! :? )

The second half of the article is a little more interesting, and it will certainly make people want to watch the programme when it airs. I'm looking forward to it, though one feels it might be full of nude tennis scenes and passionate love-making!!! :shock: It should be interesting, except that since seeing 'Sweeny Todd' last year I can't get the image of Mrs Lovett out of my mind when I think of Helena Bonham Carter!! :lol:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Lucky Star wrote:I wonder if there will be a DVD release?
Perhaps, but maybe only in 'adult shops'!!?? :wink:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Enikyoga

Post by Enikyoga »

In fact in The Three Golliwogs, the gollies are victims rather than villains.
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

There is a short piece in next week's Radio Times, stating that a 90 minute EB biography is being filmed staring Helena Bonham Carter as Enid, Mathew Macfadyen as Hugh pollock and Denis Lawson as Kenneth Darrell Waters. 8)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Belly

Post by Belly »

Just commenting on the nude tennis thing. This is something I've heard Jilly Cooper interviewed about and certainly in Riders I think Rupert Campbell-Black plays tennis in the nude! :D

She seems to suggest it is/was a common pastime amongst the louche upper classes. Not sure if this was the case but guess if you are lucky enough to have a tennis court that is not over looked and it is a balmy summer evening then why not??! :D
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Belly wrote:Just commenting on the nude tennis thing...but guess if you are lucky enough to have a tennis court that is not over looked and it is a balmy summer evening then why not??! :D
I guess it could improve my swing somewhat, and it certainly gives a different meaning to "New balls please"! :oops:
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Tony and I were lucky enough to be invited for a set visit yesterday and we thoroughly enjoyed seeing all the hard work and attention to detail that goes into each and every scene as it is rehearsed and then filmed from several different angles. Helena Bonham Carter, petite and svelte, looked wonderful in the 1940s costumes and she captured perfectly Enid Blyton's energy and vivacity. And Denis Lawson was so much like I'd always imagined Kenneth to be that it was almost uncanny.

I don't want to say anything specific about scenes and settings because that might spoil the film for people, but we were delighted to get to talk to Helena Bonham Carter despite her busy schedule. She said that she had not known a great deal about Enid Blyton's life before working on the film but had found our website useful in preparing for the role, as well as a number of books and television programmes about Enid Blyton (in particular she mentioned Barbara Stoney's Biography and Imogen Smallwood's A Childhood at Green Hedges.)

Amusing things that happened included Denis Lawson being repeatedly overcome by laughter while filming one of the scenes and (off camera) "young Imogen" (she and "young Gillian" were lovely girls) pointing at "Enid's" stole (which looked like a fox draped round her neck) and squealing, "Ugh - what's that?!"

Among other things we were able to see the set for Enid's study, which was furnished with Timmy-the-dog's books and other interesting items.

All the people involved with the film were very friendly and made us feel welcome, especially Claire from Carnival who spent a lot of time showing us round and talking to us about the production. Also Simon, who drove me partway home, and Monique, who was very helpful in providing us with directions to the studios and other information.

I'm looking forward to seeing the finished film when it is broadcast!

Anita

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

WOW! Anita, you and Tony must be the luckiest people in the world. How exciting. Your heads will be buzzing with that experience for weeks and weeks. I'm so looking forward to seeing the finished drama. I will definately record it so I can watch it again and again.

Speaking of filming, it's so fascinating to watch. I remember back in the late 90's when they used to film Wycliffe, down here. Sarah and I watched them filming an episode over at the Wadebridge show ground. And I got all the autographs of the cast and got to chat to them. But when we watched the episode on TV that we'd watched being filmed all afternoon, it was only for about 2 or 3 minutes on the TV.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I also got one or two signatures on my copy of the script, Julie. Helena Bonham Carter also did her version of the Enid Blyton signature for me! 'Young Imogen' who also signed my script is surely going to be a star of the future, she is played by Ramona Marquez who has already starred in two series on TV, 'Outnumbered', which some people may have seen.

As Anita says, it was a good day and the crew couldn't have been nicer, from producer Lee Morris and director James Hawes downwards. I found it incredible that they are producing a 90 minute film in just two and a half weeks, I admire their stamina!