TV locations for the Famous Five series

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
JustMatt

Re: TV locations for the Famous Five series

Post by JustMatt »

Does anyone know where this 'curve' location is? I hav been wondering for a while now.

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/ ... VxXNSkALTg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JustMatt

Post by JustMatt »

I have found the curve location on google maps

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie= ... kipedia.en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you zoom out and go towards the bottoom left, there appears to be a large area blanked out.... I wonder what that could be
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

JustMatt wrote:I have found the curve location on google maps

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie= ... kipedia.en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you zoom out and go towards the bottoom left, there appears to be a large area blanked out.... I wonder what that could be
Hi, "the curve" is around a mile east of Exbury village and is situated at Blackfield heath. It can be reached by road within a few minutes, as you can see on the google map of the area. I, personally, like to walk. This is more interesting if you like to view the 1978 FF TV locations. I suggest you start at the car park at Exbury Gardens. Exit the car park and turn left. Follow the road for 100 yards, then turn right onto a rough track. In 10 mins you will pass farm buildings on your right. This is Gatewood Farm and, just behind it, is Gatewood House. The House is where Gary, Jennifer, Marcus, Michele and Toddy resided during the filming of series two. At the end of the track turn left onto the road and follow this for around 60 yards. You will reach a bridge that crosses a small stream. This is Gatewood bridge, which is where Nobby washes the elephant in "Five go off in a caravan". The curve is seen as you arrive at the bridge. The circus camp, from the same episode, was sited on your left on the heath as the road curves right. Also, if you've time, exit the car park and turn right and follow the road to Exbury village. On your right you will see the entrance to Richard's aunt's cottage in Five get into trouble. Continue along the road till you come to a building on the corner to your left, just after the church. This is the pub in Five on Kirrin Island again. Opposite this, on the corner of the road junction, is the tree that was used in the ice cream scene in Five go off in a caravan. You will also notice a wooden pannelled building just a few yards away. This is the shop where George purchases the ice cream from and is seen running to the tree to join the others in the same episode.
Well worth a visit if you are in the area.
Regards
No6
Timmy254
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five
Favourite character: Dick, Timmy the dog

Post by Timmy254 »

Here are two maps that show the locations:

http://www.fuenffreundefanpage.at/de_a-drehort.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gatewood Bridge
"A true friend is someone who thinks that you're a good egg even though he knows that you're slightly cracked."
Gary Russell
Favourite book/series: FF
Favourite character: well duh...

Post by Gary Russell »

number 6 wrote:
JustMatt wrote:The House is where Gary, Jennifer, Marcus, Michele and Toddy resided during the filming of series two.
Just to clear up a common misconception, Toddy didn't live with us at all - ever. He stayed elsewhere with Ben, his trainer.
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Gary Russell wrote:
number 6 wrote:
JustMatt wrote:The House is where Gary, Jennifer, Marcus, Michele and Toddy resided during the filming of series two.
Just to clear up a common misconception, Toddy didn't live with us at all - ever. He stayed elsewhere with Ben, his trainer.
Thanks for the info, Gary. I did know that Toddy stopped with his owner, not at Gatewood House as I suggested. It was an oversight on my part! :oops:

Regards

No6
Scott

Post by Scott »

Gary,

or anyone else for that matter. Where was Finniston Farm filmed please? Do you remember the name of the farm Gary?

Thanks
Scott
Timmy254
Favourite character: Dick, Timmy the dog

Post by Timmy254 »

Hi Scott, welcome to the forums! :D

I think “Finniston Farm” was filmed in St Leonard’s, Beaulieu, Hampshire.
Here are some photos of the ruined St Leonard’s Tithe Barn and the “Philpot house" (it could be the wrong house but it was closest to St Leonard’s Barn):
http://www.fuenffreundefanpage.at/de_a- ... urgverlies" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And this is a nice shot of the barn that was built within the ruins of the older Tithe Barn:
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/346841" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"A true friend is someone who thinks that you're a good egg even though he knows that you're slightly cracked."
Scott

Post by Scott »

Thanks Timmy
ingots

Post by ingots »

It's great having all this info so readily available and of course a translation of the German fan site!

My partner and I will be traveling next year for a few months and plan to do a cycle trip in the south of England. Still considering adding a tent to our pack ;)

Accommodation in Exbury easy to come by?

Will no doubt play the incidental music from the 70s series while we ride ;)

If anyone has cycled this area/region would love to hear tips and info. Cheers again.

Marc
A kiwi in Singapore x
"Dick he said"
"He didn't mean YOU!"
--Five On A Hike Together--
petejt

Post by petejt »

This is great!

I have always found it fascinating to track down the locations of the 70s TV series. It's a dream of mine one day to visit at least some of the locations. Most of all I'd love to visit the many secret passageways that the Five clambered through, such as those in Smuggler's Top. I did read somewhere that a very old downstairs kitchen was dressed up as a secret passageway and cave, covered with dirt & clay.

I have recognised a set of stairs that often shows up whenever the Five are travelling through a secret passageway. I'd love to visit that as well.

Another location that has interested me are the marshes in Smuggler's Top, and the lighthouse of Demon's Rocks. And with the help of Google Earth I think I have found them! While the marshes have changed a little, it looks remarkably similar.

I believe that the marsh location is the Keyhaven Marshes.
Google Earth says that it is part of the New Forest National Park, so this would fit the description of being "shot on location in the New Forest" as stated in the credits.

And that the lighthouse is next door to Hurst Castle, which is located on the sand spit on the southern edge of the Keyhaven Marshes.
Poxy

Post by Poxy »

Hi petejt,

first of all happy new year to everyone. Haven't been here for a while.

In 2007 I have seen most of the FF locations myself. You can see dozens of my photos (before and after-comparison) on the German fanpage:

http://www.fuenffreundefanpage.at/de_a- ... 2007-b.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You are right, the lighthouse is next to hurst castle. It is a nice 30 min. walk from Keyhaven to the lighthouse.

However I am 99% sure that the marshes in Smuggler's Top were filmed at the riverside next to Exbury Gardens. Just enter "Exbury gardens" in Google maps and have a close look at the area left of "Witchers Copse". I have had a walk there and it looks exactly as in the series (in particular the scenes in which the children come out of the tunnel or the one in which Ronald Fraser is looking at the marshes).

If anybody else needs some tips for a trip to the New Forest or anything else regarding the FF-locations just let me know. I am glad to help (guess I have gained some useless expertise in the field of FF-locations :D ).

Best regards,
André
ingots

Post by ingots »

Hello Poxy!!

I sent the original message here a couple months back. My partner and I cycling through and staying in this area in May this year!

I'd love more info from what you posted already.

Share? :P

Please do PM me if easier, as I will you.

My message /post above Pete.

Cheers and hoorah!

Marc
"Dick he said"
"He didn't mean YOU!"
--Five On A Hike Together--
Scott

Post by Scott »

Hello,

I payed a visit to the New Forest last year and spent a lovely two days exploring and cycling.

My favourite book cover from the 70s published series is Five on Finniston Farm. This is a bit obscure, but the one place I couldn't find is the blue corragated metal barn that is on the front cover of the book with Michele, Gary, Jennifer and Marcus walking in front. It is not part of the farm where the actual episode was filmed. Does anyone know where this is?
number 6

Post by number 6 »

HI Scott. I think the barn in question was demolished many years ago. You have to remember that the series was filmed over 30 years ago and things have changed dramatically since then. :cry: Did you get the chance to visit other locations whilst you were in the New Forest?