Gary and Marcus on the move......

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Re: Gary and Marcus on the move......

Post by Lucky Star »

Timmy254 wrote:
Lucky Star wrote:I wonder which episode they will show.
The event took place last Saturday, so it's already over :wink:
Oops. :oops: :oops:
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Gary Russell
Favourite book/series: FF
Favourite character: well duh...

Post by Gary Russell »

Oh and it was Run Away Together...
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Gary Russell wrote:Oh and it was Run Away Together...
Thanks , good episode to choose. Hope the event went well. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Lucky Star wrote:
Gary Russell wrote:Oh and it was Run Away Together...
Thanks , good episode to choose. Hope the event went well. :D
A good episode? It was probably the worst one in the 1970's series - a travesty of the original story, bearing little resemblance to the original plot!
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Moonraker wrote:A good episode? It was probably the worst one in the 1970's series - a travesty of the original story, bearing little resemblance to the original plot!
Have to agree with Nigel (Moonraker) here, I'm afraid. I was really looking forward to that episode when I collected the videos as an adult (I couldn't remember it from childhood) but the storyline had been changed completely and I consider it to be the most disappointing adaptation of the whole series.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Dick Kirrin
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Julian, Dick

Post by Dick Kirrin »

I don't like "Five go adventuring again" too much either, but as I dislike the book, too, I can hardly be fair on that episode.
The whole idea of a father/uncle trusting a complete stranger more to tell the truth than his own daughter/nice and nephews is hard for me to swallow.
OK, in questions about balls just breaking a neighbour's window due to a "lack of gravity" I might go for my neighbour's explantion of a game of football, too :) , but in any serious matters I'd rather believe my own people. It has happened to children and it will happen in the future, sadly, so I can see why it might appeal to kids, but from an adult's view it isn't sound.
Cheers

Dick Kirrin
"You just never knew what would happen. It made life exciting, of course - but it did spoil a cycling tour!"
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Have to agree here. Some of the episodes were not as the books, but the worse had to be Run Away Together.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Dick Kirrin

Post by Dick Kirrin »

I actually like "Run away together" for some strange reason. Maybe it was because they left exactly the parts out which I always hated when reading the book. The childish mimicking of animal voices to scare Edgar or Julian's behaviour as "Lord Kirrin" (he spoke up to Hunchy and Rooky in "Trouble" in a much better way) to name just two.

Cheers

Dick Kirrin
"You just never knew what would happen. It made life exciting, of course - but it did spoil a cycling tour!"
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Dick Kirrin wrote:I actually like "Run away together" for some strange reason. Maybe it was because they left exactly the parts out which I always hated when reading the book. The childish mimicking of animal voices to scare Edgar or Julian's behaviour as "Lord Kirrin" (he spoke up to Hunchy and Rooky in "Trouble" in a much better way) to name just two.
Unfortunately they also left out Jennifer Mary Armstrong and the entire kidnapping plot! :wink:

If by Julian's behaviour as "Lord Kirrin" you mean the way he always has a ready answer for Mr. and Mrs. Stick, I love those parts! I do wince at the children's mocking of Edgar though (calling him "Spotty Face" etc) and I wince even more at their treatment of Tinker (or "Stinker" as they refer to him), who can't help belonging to the Sticks and surely deserves sympathy rather than derision!

Society Member
Timmy254
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five
Favourite character: Dick, Timmy the dog

Post by Timmy254 »

Oh, Run away together! That’s the only episode I missed when I watched the series as a child. I was not at home that day and our video recorder was probably daydreaming or how else could it “forget” to do its job?! I was devastated! :lol:
Last summer I watched Run away together for the first time. It really is quite different from the book. But I didn’t mind because I never liked the kidnapping plot anyway. Although I must admit it would have probably made this episode a bit more exciting :wink:.
"A true friend is someone who thinks that you're a good egg even though he knows that you're slightly cracked."
Dick Kirrin

Post by Dick Kirrin »

Yes, Anita, it's exactly Julian's answering back at the Sticks, that I dislike. For one thing, it makes him look not like a boy but like a spoilt young man who hasn't ever had to do any house work (or, other work, come to that). It doesn't fit, especially as the children don't really give the Sticks a chance. They wouldn't have taken it if they'd done, but anyway.
The next thing that is hard for me to swallow is that if I were up to mischief and needed a base or a safe house, the last thing I'd do is antagonize the people I'm working for. The more I please them, the less they'll keep tabs on me.

In "Five get into trouble" there is a very good reason for answering back, namely the "Don't show any fear" attitude that the Five very often take on when dealing with crooks. Nowadays police might advice against it, but at the time the books were written, it may have seemed a reasonable thing to do. So Julian as the oldest and normally leading character, has to set a good example.

Another kidnapping in the 78s version of "Run away together"? It could have given some more action to the plot if the Sticks hadn't hidden a convict, but had held a kid to ransom. But as Dick and George get locked up in the dungeons, there is some kidnapping, too. All in all, I like the story as it is. I must admit, however, that I see it as an "independent" story, of a "Five run away together MK II"- kind. :)

Cheers

Dick Kirrin
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

I must admit the children do come across as spoilt when they apparently can't even make their own sandwiches for a picnic! However, conversations like the following are classic. My sister and I would read them aloud to one another as children with immense enjoyment, thinking Julian was great for standing up to the mean and miserable Sticks the way he did:
"My word!" said Julian, admiringly. "You do know how to stock a larder, I must say, Mrs. Stick......what a perfectly marvellous treacle tart! I must say you're a good cook, I really must."

Julian picked up the chicken, the dish of tomatoes, and then balanced the plate with the treacle tart on the top.

Mrs. Stick yelled at him.

"You leave them things alone! That's our supper! You leave them there."

"You've made a little mistake," said Julian, politely. "It's our supper. We've had very little to eat today, and we could do with a good supper. Thanks awfully!"

"Now look 'ere!" began Mr. Stick, angrily, furious at seeing his lovely supper walking away.

"You surely don't want me to look at you again," said Julian, in a tone of amazement. "What for? Have you shaved yet - or washed? I'm afraid not. So, if you don't mind I think I'd rather not look at you."

Society Member
Kiki's new mam
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/Malory Towers

Post by Kiki's new mam »

i too, think it is a bit of a disappointment about five run away together as it is one of my three favourites, i would have loved to see Julian standing up to sticks, and watching Julian, George and Dick (Marcus, Michele and Gary) make their animal noises in order to scare the sticks - i bet they would really enjoy doing that! :lol:

i rather liked five go down to the sea, the part where Julian and Dick get dressed up in clopper the house, and how the girls come into it too :D

Leila.
Clopper
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Clopper »

Kiki's new mam wrote: i rather liked five go down to the sea, the part where Julian and Dick get dressed up in clopper the house, and how the girls come into it too :D

Leila.
I liked that one,as well,though they were a bit rough with my zipper. :lol:
Its never too late to have a happy childhood.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Clopper wrote:though they were a bit rough with my zipper. :lol:
That's women for you! :oops:
Society Member