Marchwood/Kirrin Station

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Petermax

Marchwood/Kirrin Station

Post by Petermax »

Marchwood railway station has been mentioned before on this forum as being used as Kirrin station in the 1970s Famous Five TV series. It featured in two episodes of the second series, Five are Together Again and Five Go Down to the Sea. I have recently located a useful webpage giving a brief history of the station and also showing many past and present day photographs.

Marchwood Station

Marchwood station is today a private residence, therefore anyone intending to view this location please show due respect for privacy.

A piece of trivia perhaps only of relevance to the railway enthusiasts on this forum is that the diesel locomotive featured in the Kirrin station scenes is preserved on a private railway in Lancashire.
Moonraker

Re: Marchwood/Kirrin Station

Post by Moonraker »

Very interesting, Petermax. I clearly remember the Hamshire DMUs advent. It was 1957, and they ran from Salisbury to Portsmouth & Southsea. They had the most wonderful sound, a glorious whining and throbbing noise as they accelerated away. They also ran from Portsmouth to Andover and from Wareham to Swanage, through Corfe Castle (the village. not the monument!)

I have taken hundreds of photographs of trains in the Salisbury area (mainly in the 80s), and the Hampshire sets (and of course, the wonderful Class 50s) were splendid.

[takes off anorak]
Last edited by Moonraker on 18 Sep 2007, 15:38, edited 1 time in total.
Society Member
RDMorrell
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Secret Seven, Adventure
Favourite character: Anne

Post by RDMorrell »

Many thanks for that link, Petermax.

I can think of few things more thrilling than actually living in a house with an old railway line and station in your back yard. What an awesome setting! :D And of course, this particular old station is even cooler because of its association with the 1978 Famous Five TV series. 8)
Best Regards

ROWAN M.

A room without books is like a body without a soul - Cicero
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

We've moved house several times....

....and almost every time we're near the trains.

[listens out for the next train to rush by] :D

Society Member
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

Moonraker wrote: I have taken hundreds of photographs of trains in the Salisbury area (mainly in the 80s), and the Hampshire sets (and of course, the wonderful Class 5os) were splendid.[takes off anorak]
Great picture Moonraker, Southern Region green is such a good livery, you can't beat the old "Thumpers".

It would be nice to see passenger trains running through Marchwood again but this is very unlikely even though the Fawley branch is still open for freight. (Ok, enough anorak talk!)
manzanita
Favourite book/series: Five Find Outers, Barney, Secret and Adventure!

Post by manzanita »

Moonraker wrote: I have taken hundreds of photographs of trains in the Salisbury area (mainly in the 80s), and the Hampshire sets (and of course, the wonderful Class 5os) were splendid.

[takes off anorak]
No need to take the anorak off with me! There's nothing like the sound of a diesel locomotive :)

I'm also bit of a train anorak - the London Underground is just fascinating to me!

Manzy
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

We're going to have to start a Trains' Thread!!

The Tube - what a wonderful system. I love the smell, sounds and atmosphere down below!
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I love travelling by Tube. It's not just the trains that I like but the tiled walls, the posters, etc. There are some excellent buskers too. A few years ago I saw a TV programme about disused Tube tunnels and stations, which was fascinating. I once heard that guided tours were available of some of the disused areas of the London Underground - does anyone know whether they're still going?

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Yan

Post by Yan »

Petermax wrote:Marchwood railway station has been mentioned before on this forum as being used as Kirrin station in the 1970s Famous Five TV series. It featured in two episodes of the second series, Five are Together Again and Five Go Down to the Sea.
And in Five run away together.

The station scenes from "Run Away Together" and "Go down to the sea" were shot on the same day, I suppose (look at the cars and the puddles in front of the station). But I may be wrong.
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

How could I have forgotten the brief Kirrin Station scene in "Five Run Away Together? It is highly probable that all the railway scenes for series two were shot on the same day otherwise the logistics would have been very expensive. A suitable time interval would also have had to be found between the oil and military trains passing through Marchwood Station.
manzanita
Favourite book/series: Five Find Outers, Barney, Secret and Adventure!

Post by manzanita »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:I love travelling by Tube. It's not just the trains that I like but the tiled walls, the posters, etc. There are some excellent buskers too. A few years ago I saw a TV programme about disused Tube tunnels and stations, which was fascinating. I once heard that guided tours were available of some of the disused areas of the London Underground - does anyone know whether they're still going?

Anita
I think since September 11th these sorts of tours have largely stopped. If you look online, there's some fascinating shots of the Kingsway Underpass from the past. It's not the tube, but fascinating to see tram stops underground. Also some fascinating shots of Down Street IIRC, which was used as a bunker during WW2.

Subterranea Britannica is also a good site for disused parts of the tube and has links to other great sites.

For me, I love the history of the Tube and the sheer manpower it must have taken to construct the system. I'm impressed at modern tunnelling methods, but when you think the Tube was largely dug by hand, it's absolutely mind boggling!

Actually, I love the idea of any abandoned building - http://www.simoncornwell.com/urbex concentrates on the Victorian hospitals in England largely but it is just fascinating and so sad to see these beautiful buildings falling to wrack and ruin or chopped up into flats.

If you can Anita, try to see "Under Night Streets", an old black and white short film about London Underground workers. It's well worth it :)

Manzy
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

Moonraker wrote:The Tube - what a wonderful system. I love the smell, sounds and atmosphere down below!
Have you ever wondered what all the pipes that run along inside the tunnels are for?

Spike Milligan had a theory that somewhere there was The Central London Curry House, and that the pipes were full of curry going to all the Indian Restraunts around the city.

Sounds plausible to me!

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Thanks, Manzy. Yes, the history of the underground system is fascinating. I did a spot of Googling and found the following very interesting website about the Tube:

http://underground-history.co.uk/front.php

I'll also have a look some time and see whether "Under Night Streets" is available online.

Anita

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:I'll also have a look some time and see whether "Under Night Streets" is available online.Anita
Come up and see me sometime, Anita, and we'll watch it together. Image
Last edited by Moonraker on 20 Sep 2007, 10:23, edited 1 time in total.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

You're talking about "The Ghost Train," Nigel, and I was talking about the short film "Under Night Streets." But I'd like to see both in any case! :)

Anita

Society Member