Television series to show the Famous Five in middle age

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Moonraker

Re: Television series to show the Famous Five in middle age

Post by Moonraker »

Keith Robinson wrote:Unlike Tony, this is first time I've been contacted by the BBC and it just feels quite good to throw into conversation, "Oh, by the way, the BBC phoned me this morning..."
Oh and by the way, I have just been phoned by Channel 4. They are making a documentary about paramedics, and wanted to know if I would be interested in taking part. They wanted to know if I had any unusual interests! Okay, I will mention the Society at some point....! (That's if I go ahead with it!)
Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Moonraker wrote:Oh and by the way, I have just been phoned by Channel 4.
You just told me that the person who contacted you via a message in MySpace contacted you by email, as you did not wish to give him your phone number. :wink:

Trying to show off by making out that he found you through the telephone directory? :wink:

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Tremendous stuff. :D The Times article also has some nice pics of the original Famous Five bookcovers. I wonder if we will get any flood of new members as a result of this? Poor Tony it sounds like you are being driven mad.

BTW there is an interesting comment left under the online article to the effect that we should not revisit childhood memories as it spoils the memories. I can see where the author is coming from but for me at least my return to the Blyton world has been a joy, a sort of homecoming if you like and certainly not a disappointment in any way. What do otheres make of this?
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Viking Star
Favourite book/series: Mystery, Adventure and Secret series.
Favourite character: Fatty, Mrs Hilton and Philip

Post by Viking Star »

Ming wrote:
You just told me that the person who contacted you via a message in MySpace contacted you by email, as you did not wish to give him your phone number. :wink:

Trying to show off by making out that he found you through the telephone directory? :wink:
Watch out Ming. You could be living dangerously! :wink: :)
This is a Green Knight Book which means that it is a book by one of the most popular authors of all.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Ming wrote:

It would be difficult to find me in the phone book, as I am ex-directory. The producer sent me a message to my MySpace inbox. After researching the company on the Web, and satisfying myself that the company was genuine, I emailed the producer as she gave me her email address. I finally gave her a contact telephone number when I was satisfied she was genuine.

Satisfied?
Society Member
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

I quite enjoyed the Times article but was rather surprised to see my quote about "Five Go Mad in Dorset" published in full. Perhaps I should have posted under my real name!

Let's just hope that if and when the new Famous Five series is made that the whole thing will be treated with respect. It may turn out to be a hit, witness the success of "Life on Mars" very much a tongue in cheek series based on "The Sweeney" made thirty years earlier.
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

Tony Summerfield wrote: Now every Tom, Dick and Harry is jumping on the bandwagon and I am stuck on the receiving end of this. As I write I have just had another call from a radio station in Dublin (yes, I did pick up the phone!) so I have passed them on to Viv who seems to enjoy publicity, I just hope that occasionally she mentions the Society!
I wouldn't like anyone to think that I don't promote the Society. :shock:

I hand out thousands of bookmarks every year, each with the Society details on the back.
There is a leaflet dispenser right by the F5 carousel containing membership forms. Keen adult readers are directed to it.
The Society is promoted heavily at my events in the grounds of Corfe Castle.

If I accept an interview that the Society has turned down, it has to be with my Ginger Pop hat on. I am an ordinary member, not an officer of The Society, and cannot speak on behalf of the Society.

In a 2 minute interview there is very little time to answer questions intelligently, and it is not easy to include a reference to The Society when I'm trying not to sound as if I'm speaking on their behalf!

Having said that, I'm always pleased to promote Blyton, and since the shop opened just over 3 years ago, Society membership has risen.

When I do a radio interview it promotes Blyton positively, Ginger Pop gets a good plug, and as more adults realise that they are not alone in loving Blyton they will feel more inclined to join The Society.

So Tony - thanks for the leads with BBC Radio Newcastle and Wales; tomorrow I do the Dublin station. If any more journalists bother you - please send them my way! :D

Best wishes

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Viv of Ginger Pop wrote:If I accept an interview that the Society has turned down, it has to be with my Ginger Pop hat on. I am an ordinary member, not an officer of The Society, and cannot speak on behalf of the Society.
I wasn't in any way implying that you don't promote the Society, Viv - I was actually talking specifically about radio interviews. After 18 Blyton related phone calls yesterday and the effective loss of a full day's work I was feeling more than a bit frustrated.

Your quoted paragraph above neatly sums up both the media and general public attitude to the Society. When you talk about accepting an interview that the Society has turned down - you mean me! There is nobody else, yet everyone seems to think that this is a well-staffed office. Occasionally I even get apologies from people as they have rung outside office hours, one yesterday funnily enough, wanting details of all Blyton video and dvd releases.

You talk about 'officers of the Society' - me again I suppose, there isn't anyone else. The question I normally get asked is - "Do you have any members of the Society, who would be prepared to say something about it" - and I pass them on to you. :roll:

I didn't realise what you say in your last quoted bit - 'I cannot speak on behalf of the Society'.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Tony Summerfield wrote: Your quoted paragraph above neatly sums up both the media and general public attitude to the Society. When you talk about accepting an interview that the Society has turned down - you mean me! There is nobody else, yet everyone seems to think that this is a well-staffed office.....You talk about 'officers of the Society' - me again I suppose, there isn't anyone else.

So, the secret is out. Officer Summerfield is Head Cook and Bottle Washer of the SS Blyton! I must say, on my frequent visits to the Officer's headquarters, I am slightly puzzled by the apparent lack of staff. There is an old butler there, Barney is his name, but other than that, I have seen no-one.

It sounds akin to a Sherlock Holmes story - "The Lonely Officer". It tells of a poor Londoner who is left running an large company, with just one humble servant. There is a rival firm some 40 miles away, that makes great use of his surplus. This rival even bends the truth somewhat, using his location as the source of the product, when in fact, it was manufactured miles away.

Ah well, as somebody once said, "It's a lonely place at the top!"

Society Member
Belly

Post by Belly »

I'd like to see Marcus Harris (Julian), Gary Russell (Dick) and Jennifer Thanisch (Anne) playing the characters again.

They've all grown up as I would imagine the originals might have. Marcus in his role as Mayor (?) or Councillor, Gary as a funny, witty, script writer for Dr Who and similar.

Jennifer content aand very happy at home baking with family etc which is I think roughly how Marcus described her during the FF day.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I would really love to see an adult version of the famous five, and to find out what they were all like as grown-up's, but unlike some of the contributors to this subject I think I would prefer to see something without flashing lights, tunnels, secret panels etc. maybe they could feature very slightly, but if they were put in then it would immediately make the plot less serious and more spoofy, surely?

They would have to investigate something more 'Agatha Christie', I feel - a murder mystery with twists and turns,rather than the writer trying to pile in all the cliche's of a typical Famous Five novel.

I think the settings could be true to the books, and the characters - maybe Uncle Quentin is in an old people's home, aged about ninety, and Kirrin cottage is now a guest house - but the plot would definately have to be more adult, in a fun kind of way - like Miss Marple for example? :)

The pity of it is, it will probably all come to nothing, and then there will be a load of disappointed Blyton fans! :(
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

Robert Houghton wrote:I would really love to see an adult version of the famous five, and to find out what they were all like as grown-up's, but unlike some of the contributors to this subject I think I would prefer to see something without flashing lights, tunnels, secret panels etc. maybe they could feature very slightly, but if they were put in then it would immediately make the plot less serious and more spoofy, surely?
You have a point, Robert! But on the other hand, I sort of feel that an adventure without the traditional Famous Five elements would be just a drama about four people and a dog getting into a scrape, rather than the Five Plunging Into Adventure. If the story had no traditional elements, then I think that once you got past the reunion there wouldn't be anything to distinguish it from any other BBC drama.

I see what you mean about the danger of spoofing it though; it probably would fall dangerously close to being a satire if they ended up finding treasure in a tunnel under the sea. I think the writers would have to be VERY careful to get the balance just right. Even if the production went ahead, I somehow doubt fans would be overly impressed. I don't see how it can be done to the satisfaction of a majority of fans without turning it into a series. (Now there's a thought...)

Love the idea of Marcus and Gary and Jennifer reprising their roles! But I think that would be hard for the actors without Michelle, and probably hard for die-hard 70s TV fans too.
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

They are talking about a series, Keith - I have seen the official Chrorion release about this. What perhaps isn't fully realised by the various discussions on the subject is that the characters are going to have to fit in with the forthcoming cartoon series about the Famous Five children - in that, George is married with a child!
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

Bah, humbug! How can the live-action version tie in with the cartoon? Isn't the cartoon supposed to have younger relatives of the Five, not the actual Five? How can the two tie together then? Anyway, doesn't matter either way, it's always interesting to discuss in theory. :D
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Hmm yes thats odd about the two versions having to tie in with each other. I had been under the impression that the cartoons would be for kids and the proposed middle aged series would be for, well, middle aged people. :lol: Probably just my mistake.

If the series does go ahead it would have to incorporate some traditional FF elements. It would be a little ridiculous to have them finding gold in a tunnel under the sea as someone pointed out but the ideas of train travel, hiking, huge meals and camping could all be realistically utilised. Middle aged people do all those things too. Also the characters would have to be reasonably true to Blytons originals. I don't see too much of a problem if George has had a child. She can still be tomboyish while revealing that she is married and now divorced (hubby got fed up of her borrowing his underwear? :wink: ) and living alone. Her child couold be away at college or something.

I would actually be quite intrigued to see what they would do with such a series, what a pity some people here could'nt get jobs on the scriptwriting team. Even if it does'nt happen this time its still an interesting idea which could well come up again.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member