1970s FF Series Incidental Music.

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Marc

Re: 1970s series incidental music.

Post by Marc »

Morgan Jones wrote: 01 Jan 2024, 10:40 I wish I could identify that tune. It’s used a lot in Series 1, but I haven’t heard it anywhere else (unlike most of the other tracks which have cropped up in other productions).
It sounds a bit like out of the hands of Barry Ainsworth regarding the last chord progression of that tune.
Unfortunately, Barry passed away some time ago but when I was in contact with him some time before he passed, he was happy to answer me that it was most likely to be Barry Morgan who played drum kit on the Famous Five title track, Reg Guest on Keys and Vic Flick OR Jimmy Page on guitar.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Morgan Jones wrote: 01 Jan 2024, 10:40 I wish I could identify that tune. It’s used a lot in Series 1, but I haven’t heard it anywhere else (unlike most of the other tracks which have cropped up in other productions).
Morgan, do you know by any chance who was responsible for putting in the music onto the series back in the day?
I wonder whether these people are still around. As Southern TV closed down in 1981, someone at ITV might know about it :?:
Morgan Jones
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five

Post by Morgan Jones »

I think asking ITV is a long shot, Marc, but you never know. The most useful thing to get access to is what’s known as a PasB (Programme as Broadcast) document or Music Cue Sheet, which should be held by whoever now has rights to the series. The producers would be required to make a record of every track used in the series, for rights purposes. It may be worth contacting the company who released the DVD box set and enquiring about this - be specific, and explain you are after details of the musical cues used in the series.

As for the actual post-production of the series, I’m not sure if this was done in-house by Southern or by Portman Productions - editing in the musical cues would be part of this process. Perhaps Gary would know more about that side of things - who was involved in this editing and if they are still around.
Last edited by Morgan Jones on 05 Feb 2024, 19:55, edited 1 time in total.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult...
Marc

Post by Marc »

Thanks very much Morgan. I think you're right, the best option would be contacting the company that released the DVD.
I will try and do that tomorrow.
I will post the results on here....
Is Gary still regular posting on here.....you´re right he might be of help.
I just watched the Mystery Moore episode and they play almost the full track at the end. Such a lovely tune....I will try hard to find out who composed it.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Funny.......Leonine Germany published the DVD box. I am a drummer for the library music of an audio series they publish so I will send a request with that info.
As being part of their family, may it won't be that hard to ask for the music cue sheet :-)
Morgan Jones

Post by Morgan Jones »

That is a stroke of luck!! Let us know how you get on.
Marc

Post by Marc »

I am happy to have received the original cue sheet list of both seasons and every episode. WOW.
Morgan Jones

Post by Morgan Jones »

That’s amazing Marc! Can you help us plug the gaps?
Marc

Post by Marc »

Absolutely. Let's get started:
There was no time codes back in the day, only Title, Composer, Publisher, Record Label, Description of Use and duration.
Here´s the Kirren Island tracks:

Kirren Island Part 1

Famous Five Theme
Soft Haze
Halycon Days
Snoopy Around
Halycon Days
Foiled
Papillon
Foiled Again
Strange 3
Moody Slow
Strange Goings On
Place to Place
The Plot
Montego Bay
-do-
KM4A
Zap II
Zap I
Jolly
-do-
Foiled Again - Tag
-do-
Underwater Beauty
Foiled Again
Foiled
In Suspense - Link
Creepy I
-do-
-do-
Horror II
Famous Five Theme

Kirren Island Part 2

Famous Five Theme
KM4A
Horror II
Creepy I
Foiled
Still Motionless
Zap II
Rusty Menace
Foiled Again
KM 4A
Suspense
Zap II
Zap I
Jolly
-do-
Foiled
Chase I
Rusty Menace
Fight - Nasty
-do-
Foiled Again
Speak Your Mind
Five Alive
Famous Five Theme
Morgan Jones

Post by Morgan Jones »

Thanks Marc. It looks like that jolly number is Five Alive. Possibly specially composed for the series? Unless it states otherwise? What info does it have for that track?
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Marc wrote: 30 Dec 2023, 12:17 Does anyone know about that tune in the meanwhile?

"22:51/13:04 Unknown, upbeat jig, also used in Smuggler's for the drive to stay with Sooty"
Have you tried using Shazam? Providing there is no speech over it, it usually names the music.
Society Member
Marc

Post by Marc »

Morgan Jones wrote: 03 Mar 2024, 10:27 Thanks Marc. It looks like that jolly number is Five Alive. Possibly specially composed for the series? Unless it states otherwise? What info does it have for that track?
That’s right, it is called “Five Alive” by R. Andrews, L. Spurr and T. King and the sheet says that it was published on Bruton BRT 050. That must be false information as those three were also responsible for composing the title track and that one was released by Portman. I am sure “Five Alive” was also released by Portman.
neilryan8881

Re: 1970s FF Series Incidental Music.

Post by neilryan8881 »

Hi Marc,
Thanks so much for posting all of this information.
From the ‘Kirrin Island’ episode it looks like there are several tracks that have mystified me for years that are not to be located on any of the Bruton LPs.

Tracks like you’ve named above like Snoopy Around, Strange 3, Moody Slow, Strange Goings On, Horror II, Creepy I, Still Motionless, Zap II, Rusty Menace, Zap I, Jolly and Speak Your Mind.

Would you be able to share the album/artist for some of these tracks at all? Chances are a lot of them are on the same LP.

Thanks again!
Marc

Post by Marc »

Hi Neil,
yes sure!

Snoopy Around - Rob Andrews and Les Spur - Bruton BRT 028
Strange 3 - Rob Andrews, Les Spur and Tony King - BRT 074
Moody Slow - Rob Andrews and Les Spur - BRT 021
Strange Goings On - Rob Andrews, Les Spur and Tony King - BRT 032
Horror II - s.a. - BRT 052
Creepy - s.a. - BRT 037
Still Motionless - s.a. - BRT 070
Zap II - Brian Bennett - BRT 019
Rusty Menace - Rob Andrews, Les Spur, Tony King - BRT 056
Zap I - Brian Bennett - BRT 019
Jolly - Rob Andrews, Les Spur and Tony King - BRT 029
Speak Your Mind - Les Hurdle and Frank Ricotti - BRT 116

This is what the sheet says but as for tracks written by Andrews, King and Spur I think the sheet is wrong. These guys haven’t released anything on the Brutons as far as I know,
When it comes to the title track “We are the Famous Five” it is said: Portman Productions and I think they produced the other tracks as well.
I am trying to track down the music library as we speak but the last company that own the copyrights now only received the plot masters of the series not the separate music. It might be interested to find out where Balthazar got the permission to release the soundtrack from.
This is where the music library might remain.
Tony King and Rob Andrews have sadly passed I heard but there’s a Les Spur somewhere up in the country. It might be interested to find out if that is the same lad!
neilryan8881

Post by neilryan8881 »

Thanks so much again Marc for listing all that info.

I’d agree it’s doubtful whether the Andrews/Spur/King tracks were on any Bruton releases - none that I’ve seen anyways.

My fear is that they might just be internal tracks created for the series and owned by Portman and not featured on any release - hopefully not!

Did you say you got cue sheets for every episode? I suppose it’s the same situation (artist/album) etc listed as ‘Kirrin Island’?