"Chorion" is walling up!!!

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.

Would you like to buy a DVD-collection of the great FF 78/79 series?

YES
89%
NO
8%
DUNNO
3%

Total votes: 37

famousfiver
Favourite book/series: All Famous Five books & '78 tv series
Favourite character: Anne

Re: "Famous Five DVD"

Post by famousfiver »

Hi there, I have voted 'Yes' to purchasing the DVD when eventually the 70's series is released. The information you all have provided has been very enlightening as to what is going on with the rights issue. I only hope that when it is released it will be available in Australia or on a format that can be played on DVD's here (PAL Region 4)!
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Re: "Chorion" is walling up!!!

Post by Lucky Star »

I too look forward still to this although I have the feeling it may be a long wait. :roll: If it ever does appear and is not in a suitable format you could try buying a multi region DVD player. They are not usually that expensive (at least in the UK) and can play DVDS OF ANY FORMAT.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

Most DVD players now are multi region or multi region capable. It is usually a simple matter to "Google" the model number in order to locate a four digit handset hack code. Region codes in any case are only usually applied to the latest film releases in order to regulate distribution worldwide.

I too await the official DVD release and the day that I can consign my Ebay bootleg to the bin!
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Lets hope they get them out on DVD sooner, rather than later.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Timmy

Post by Timmy »

Hallo Ihr,

wie ist der aktuelle Stand bezüglich einer Veröffentlichung der alten 1978`er Famous Five Serie ? Hat die Firma Chorion endlich ein einsehen und beabsichtigt Sie nun endlich zu veröffentlichen ?

Freu mich auf Antworten !!!!

Schönen Dank :D

"Timmy"
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

May we have a translation please?! :|

Society Member
Timmy

Post by Timmy »

Sorry :oops:

Hello you,
how is the current state with regard to an issue old in 1978 ` he(it) Famous Five series? Does the firm Chorion have, at last see and intends to publish you now, at last?

Please me about answers!!!! :D

To beauties Thanks to
"Timmy"
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Thank you, Timmy. :D Finally this makes sense. :oops:

Society Member
peppermint peppy

Post by peppermint peppy »

Sorry Timmy I haven't really understood your lines.But I can surmise your matter.

At the moment I haven't a clue how far efforts have been prospered.
Sorry I really dunno because I abandon this project for 3 months mentally.

Perhaps Tony or the webmaster of the German FF -Fanpage could have an idea.
If and when you have more questions you are invited to pm me.

Yours sincerely(MfG)

P.P
Eljay

A development!

Post by Eljay »

I wasn't sure whether to start a new thread for this or to revive this old one. In the end, I decided not to create a new one, as there's nothing concrete to report yet. However...

There has been a significant development with regards to getting the 70s Famous Five series on DVD. A company called DD Home Entertainment (owned by Simply Media - http://www.simplymedia.tv" target="_blank) has bought the distribution rights to the Southern Television back catalogue. Three titles are due for release this year, including a children's serial called 'Midnight is a Place' (based on a book by Joan Aiken) - and these are already available to pre-order on sites like Amazon.co.uk. I understand from a reliable source that they have *every* Southern production under consideration for future DVD release - and I guess we can assume that would include The Famous Five - but perhaps any further releases would depend on the success of these initial three.

I don't want to raise any hopes, but it seems we might be getting a step closer! In the meantime, feel free to contact Simply Media with persuasive (and polite) requests... :wink:
peppermint peppy

Well, we will see.Thanks for the moment. :D
Petermax

Re: A development!

Post by Petermax »

Eljay wrote:There has been a significant development with regards to getting the 70s Famous Five series on DVD. A company called DD Home Entertainment (owned by Simply Media - http://www.simplymedia.tv" target="_blank) has bought the distribution rights to the Southern Television back catalogue.
Thanks Eljay, this is very good news indeed. DD Home Entertainment are an excellent company, their DVD products are very carefully put together. An example of this is the mid 1970's series Survivors. As well as the usual directors and cast voiceovers on selected episodes, there are also interviews with many members of the cast in addition to the usual deleted scenes footage.

Let's hope that the Famous Five footage now has a safe home and in due course will be released at long last on DVD. Naturally, as well as a bonus disc, I will expect a full restoration job on the episodes complete with 5.1 surround sound! :wink:

While on the subject of Southern TV, an earlier comment of mine about the Southern TV studios being demolished was incorrect, they still stand. Blame it on the beer goggles! :oops:
peppermint peppy

Hi Petermax,
do you think there are valid reasons for hope? I don't know the British film scene like you do. But I will stay very sceptic regarding premature elation.
I'm sick of this preceding "rollercoasting".One day we have solutions-one day they're gone.
In a letter from July ,7th, Mrs.Esra Cafer(Chorion) wrote that Chorion has discontinued efforts to acquire DVD rights.
.....We have put a lot of investment(both in terms of man hours and money)into it over the last 12-18 months.After all the time and effort ,I'm afraid we can't see any way of moving forward now.In short, we've reached a dead end.There's nothing more we can do.....
You can read the whole letter on http://ff5.lgfb.de/" target="_blank
Use the German entry...then click "07.07.2008(in red colour), "Chorion bekennt nach 3 Jahren Vertröstung endlich Farbe."

Do you think that this letter is fake or subterfuge? I don't!

I will wait ...and buy this DVD-Collection with all chitchat if available on Amazon etc. :D
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

peppermint peppy wrote:Hi Petermax,do you think there are valid reasons for hope?

That letter certainly does make disappointing reading, but is the paper trail regarding the video/dvd rights that complicated? Perhaps the aquisition of the Southern TV back catalogue by DD Home Entertainment can add fresh impetus. My feeling is that this could take years, it's frustrating just to think of all those cans of film in a vault somewhere awaiting digital restoration. :(

In the meantime, you may be interested to know that there are now German language versions of the Famous Five series on Youtube posted by username hurzhape.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

In my experience of satellite channels (Simply tv is one), I would say, "Don't hold your breath."
Society Member