"Chorion" is walling up!!!

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.

Would you like to buy a DVD-collection of the great FF 78/79 series?

YES
89%
NO
8%
DUNNO
3%

Total votes: 37

Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Memories?
Society Member
peppermint peppy

Post by peppermint peppy »

Tony Summerfield wrote:I have always felt that it was unlikely that Chorion would have any objections to DVDs being released - they have nothing to lose and everything to gain. The problem all along has been trying to find out who has the current rights and this couldn't possibly be Chorion as they didn't own Enid Blyton rights in the 1970s.

I know that this has been explained to Karl by Nick James the MD of Chorion as I have been sent a copy of the email. I quite understand the enthusiasm and also the frustration with all the delays, and I certainly wasn't trying to call anybody stupid - I was merely saying that it would be foolish to keep sending emails to Chorion when they are doing their best to sort things out and are not the cause of the current problem. Apparently ownership of the rights has changed hands several times over the last 30 years and the current ownership is in dispute.
Yes,I know the rights changed several times but I don't understand why several companies could still produce this series between 1999 and 2003. Chorion spoke of old videorights and contracts and therewith associated problems.
If they are really stuck in negotiations now...Good!!!
But when will they be finished...those negotiations?
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

Memories indeed, what a logo! Recently watched Out of Town visits the Appleby Horse Fair, what a dangerous expedition that must have been! Jack Hargreaves and crew got away miraculously unscathed!

Ahem, let's get back on topic, does anyone know what the complexities are in releasing a TV series on DVD? Presumably the actors involved will receive royalties of some sort or would this be outside of their original contracts? The sheer logistics of tracing every surviving actor who appeared in the FF series would be enormous.

Peppermint Peppy, I think that patience is the answer, these negotiations could drag on for months or even years, we will just have to sit it out.
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

As Nicholas James has asked Karl Kolar to post his email on the German website, I am sure that he would also feel that it would be helpful if I posted it on our website as well:-

Dear Karl,

As I'm sure you are aware, I have recently received several emails from Famous Five fans in Germany who are frustrated at the length of time it is taking to give you any news about the 1970s Famous Five series being made available on DVD for fans to enjoy. I am sending our response to you directly, and I hope you will not mind posting it on your website, or forwarding it on to all the other fans so that they receive it. Thank you.

First of all, I want to sincerely thank you all for your continued interest in the Famous Five brand. It is heartening to see your loyalty and passion for the Famous Five and I only hope we can inspire a similar fan base for the new Famous Five show amongst children of today. Chorion are very aware of your desire to enjoy the 1970s series again on DVD and I want to assure you that we are doing all we can to make that happen.

When Chorion acquired Enid Blyton Ltd in 1996, we inherited the rights positions that the previous owner (the Blyton family) had entered into over the years. The television and film rights position we inherited for the 1970s series specifies that these rights can only be exercised with the agreement of the producer and the owner. This means that nothing can happen to these rights without the agreement of both the television company and Chorion.

Our legal team is, and has been for several months, working very hard to ascertain exactly where the rights to the TV show lie so that we can clear them for video release. The rights have changed hands several times over the last 30 years, as the original television company was bought by another company and this has happened several more times since, making the rights status complicated and difficult to trace. I cannot share details with you as we are in legal negotiations and cannot make these details public. I cannot say how much longer this will take, however, we are committed to resolving this and I believe we are making progress.

When we have some news that we can share, please believe that we will certainly do so. Until then, we will continue to focus our attentions on clearing these rights so that you can all enjoy this series again.

Kind regards,

Nicholas James

Chief Executive
peppermint peppy

Post subject: Re: "Chorion" is walling up!!!

Morning folks,
Thank you Tony for sharing this letter but I can't see really news in it.
Alright, Chorion seems to be very interested to renew the rights indeed.
Inherently I'm a very patient human but patience is always interwoven with the factor time.I hope to show my daughter this fantastic old series
one day.I hope you noticed the discussion about bootlegs in another threads.
Therefore my friendly invocation to Chorion and Mr. James himself.
Please negotiate faster...... :)
I don't wanna argue that Chorion practises stalling tactics.
Last edited by peppermint peppy on 22 Jun 2007, 23:12, edited 1 time in total.
Yan

Post by Yan »

Tony Summerfield wrote:As Nicholas James has asked Karl Kolar to post his email on the German website, I am sure that he would also feel that it would be helpful if I posted it on our website as well:-

Dear Karl,

Our legal team is, and has been for several months, working very hard to ascertain exactly where the rights to the TV show lie so that we can clear them for video release.

Kind regards,

Nicholas James

Chief Executive

Sorry, Tony, but it´s hard to believe that Chorion does not know where the rights lie. They lie with Southern Star and Chorion knows this.
This proves a letter which Karl Kolar got from Southern Star in 2006 (it can be found on the German website):

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Karl,

(...)
Whilst Southern Star own the television and video rights to the 1970's series of FAMOUS FIVE in perpetuity, the video rights are subject to a license from the Enid Blyton Estate. Our license to exploit the home video (and DVD) rights expired in 2003 and we've been trying since then to renew the license to exploit these rights.

Chorion (on behalf of the Estate) said that they did not want to renew the license for the time being as they wanted to keep these rights out of the marketplace at the moment, and they were reviewing the brand position.

We have contacted them several times since then (and again last week) to see if their position has changed.

Should their position change and the rights are approved for exploitation I can assure you that I will be speaking with distributors throughout Europe to have this series released.

Very kind regards
Kirsten Cargill
kcargill@sstar.uk.com

Sales Executive - Video & Licensing
Southern Star International
A Southern Cross Broadcasting Company
---------------------------------------------------------------

So I think Choion really is walling up.

And it seems that they do have something to loose because (as far as I know) they´re involved in the producing and airing of the new FF cartoon series. Surely they don´t want competition between the old and the new series. And that´s why they keep us waiting.

That´s my believe in this moment.
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Sorry Yan, but I think you are wrong. I particularly asked if there was a clash with the new series and the reply I got was 'absolutely not!'. So many people don't seem to realise that the new series is not about the Famous Five, but about their children and Chorion are hoping that this will introduce a new audience to the original Famous Five in all its forms.

Remember Chorion only took over Enid Blyton in the 1990s, so there is no reason at all why they should know all about the ownership of a 70s series. I can tell you through conversation that the ownership is not as cut and dried as you think - there are two companies currently in dispute over the ownership and this is where the problem lies - not with Chorion at all.
Gary Russell
Favourite book/series: FF
Favourite character: well duh...

Post by Gary Russell »

FWIW, I also think Tony is spot on with his assessment. Patience is a virtue...or summat like that.
peppermint peppy

Re: "Chorion" is walling up!!!

Oh yes,patience is a great virtue.But to make investigations is one as well. :wink:
Eljay

Post by Eljay »

A company called Delta Music has released two series from Southern Television on DVD, including that old favourite, 'Worzel Gummidge.' Might it not be worth contacting them to ask from whom they obtained the rights to release those programmes? After all, it must be the same company that owns the rights to 'The Famous Five', seeing as they were all made by Southern.

Delta's contact details are on their website: http://www.deltamusic.co.uk/about_us.php?sb=" rel="external" target="_blank

And why not also suggest that they consider releasing 'The Famous Five' in the future?
Last edited by Eljay on 08 Jul 2007, 17:28, edited 1 time in total.
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

Hmm, probably best to wait for the current situation with Chorion to settle down.
Timmy

Post by Timmy »

Hallo,

Ich bitte um euer Verständnis das ich in Deutsch schreibe meine Englischkentnisse sind zu schlecht um Sie euch zuzumuten :oops:

Ich hoffe sehr das es in absehbarer Zeit die alte 78 `er Fünf Freunde Serie als DVD herauskommt. Jegliche Arten von Fernsehserien werden auf den Markt geworfen warum ist es gerade bei dieser Serie so schwierig ! :cry: :cry: :cry:

Ich hoffe doch sehr das die Firma "Chorion" ein einsehen hat und diese Serie als DVD auf den Markt bringt. Viele Fans und wie ich auf dieser Website sehe Weltweit möchten es gerne !!!

So wie ich gelesen habe beabsichtigt Chorion ein neue Fünf Freunde Serie auf den Markt zu bringen und zwar mit Schauspielern die um die 40 (!) Jahre alt sein sollen :shock: ? Stimmt das und wenn ja gibt es eventuell schon Fotos von dieser Serie ???

So das war es ersteimal :lol:

Bis dann

"Timmy"
peppermint peppy

Hi Timmy Please let me help you a wee bit . Hope you are content with my skills in translations German/English.

Sorry folks that I'm writing in German in here.My English is too bad to expect you to put up it.
I hope sooo much that a DVD collection of this old 78 series will be published soon.
There are a a lot of TV series which are dumped on the market.Why is it so difficult to publish this old 78 series in a DVD collection? :?
I hope Chorion realized the problem and endeavour to bring this old series onto market.
Many fans all over the world as I am one are impatient for the release of this good old series .WE wanna watch it in our language.
As I have read Chorion intends to bring up a new series of FF onto market with actors who are around 40 years old.
Is this true and if yes are there pics available of this series?
So that's it for now!!!
See you,
Timmy
Last edited by peppermint peppy on 04 Oct 2007, 19:27, edited 2 times in total.
peppermint peppy

There are no news of the release of a 78 FF Dvd collection briefly.Next important event is the MIPCOM in Cannes (8.10-12.10) where agents of Chorion and Moviemax will meet each other.Hope it will arise a positive sign from there......
Timmy

Post by Timmy »

Hallo,

vielen Dank für die Übersetzung. :lol:

Gruß

"Timmy"