I'm feeling queer

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
ingots

I'm feeling queer

Post by ingots »

I've recently returned to NZ and of late been going through my old Famous Five VHS tapes that I've collected over the years.

Of course that led me to catch up (again) with the latest news of the goings-on of what I think is the best 'Five'. It was the Southern TV series that I would run home to after school each Monday afternoon as a six year old. Some people have lambasted the series as it was set in somewhat cheesy modern times but I think that is why it is still so popular all these years later. Being kids of the 70s we identified with the five and their adventures each week - it was us on television too! :)

It was years before i managed to see the series again but that theme song is always a fond memory.

Reading the posts of the last 10 months has made me feel amazed, nostalgic and a quite sad. In fact my stomach is turning at the knowledge of Michele's death. I'm so happy to see Gary posting here too - I knew he was in my homeland working on LOTR, would have been fab if I had the chance to chat with him about the series AND other things beyond secret tunnels of course!

As a journo and professional in the media industry there are sooo many production questions I wish to ask. I'd also love it if Gary relaunched his site and his stories of the summers he spent in Exbury. It was such a treasure to find your memories online a few years ago.

I really hope the DVD release is in the pipeline and like the Robin of Sherwood series someone spends a bit of dough and do some extra features and a doco tracing the series origins, our fav five actors and more from the directors etc before it is too late.

As a filmmaker I volunteer!:)

I'm still feeling a little queer. Reading about the 'Five' is like discussing our own family members.

It would be great to hear from Jennifer also at some point. At least the internet allows that convenience without the public spotlight.

Cheers for the updates. I hope there is more... and hugs to Michele. Always our George xxxx

Marc
Always be ready for an adventure. :D
"Dick he said"
"He didn't mean YOU!"
--Five On A Hike Together--
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Welcome, Marc.
[Marc:] I really hope the DVD release is in the pipeline
So do I. It's long overdue.

Have plenty of fun and adventures on the Forum!

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Yan

Re: I'm feeling queer

Post by Yan »

ingots wrote: I'd also love it if Gary relaunched his site and his stories of the summers he spent in Exbury. It was such a treasure to find your memories online a few years ago.
Hi, ingots

A German fan saved Gary´s site. You can find it here and read his memories as often as you like:

http://abl.ab.funpic.de/gary/index.html

I hope Gary does not mind. :wink:
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

Well spoken Ingots, I too am a fan of the 1970s Southern TV Famous Five series. I was 12/13 when the two series were first screened and 1970s setting of the series was quite an innovation. Whether this was done for budget or artistic reasons I do not know but it worked well. I used to wear very similar clothes to those worn by Dick and Julian although I still maintain that they should have been wearing Doc Marten boots just as I used to!

The series reminded me very much of the Childrens Film Foundation films shown on Saturday mornings in cinemas all over the UK. "Saturday Morning Pictures" were very popular until the mid 1970s. In those more innocent times parents would be quite happy to allow their children to visit the local town cinema unaccompanied, I used to take the bus into town alone at the age of eight, a different world back then!

A DVD release of the 1970s series is long overdue, much as I enjoy my VHS copies, the picture and sound quality leaves much to be desired. Interviews with the surviving actors and perhaps the Southern TV production staff who worked on the series would be a great bonus. However, would such a DVD release sell in sufficient numbers to cover production costs?
Poxy

Post by Poxy »

Dear Petermax,

good question, if there would be enough buyers to cover the production costs. I really think so. There is a very popular homepage in Germany called http://www.wunschliste.de which also features hundreds of TV-series for children. You can vote for your favourites and the Famous Five-series is still at No. 2! Especially in Germany there are a lot of devoted fans that would love to buy the DVD-box! Hope that it will be released asap! I guess the Robin of Sherwood-DVD-boxes sold quite well here and if there are also such brillant Extras on the FF-box, as well as at least two languages to choose, I am sure it will sell in sufficient numbers.

Bye André
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

It would seem that I have under estimated the popularity of the Famous Five 1970s series outside of the the UK. It was of course a co-production between Southern Television and a German television company. The series was also popular in France and Portugal I believe.

A DVD box set complete with extras and language/subtitle options could prove to be a winner after all, although I suspect that the main market would be nostalgic thirty/fortysomethings such as myself. However, my eight year old niece enjoys watching the Famous Five although she was very puzzled at the "funny clothes" that the cast were wearing! You don't see many girls wearing flared denim dungarees these days!
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

petermax wrote:However, my eight year old niece enjoys watching the Famous Five although she was very puzzled at the "funny clothes" that the cast were wearing! You don't see many girls wearing flared denim dungarees these days!

Therein lies the problem in updating stories to a modern era. Flared jeans may have looked good in the 70s, but look rather stupid now. If the clothes had been left in the 50s' style (as the 90s' series sensibly did), then they wouldn't have looked so odd.

I bet your niece wouldn't watch Jane Eyre and think the clothes were funny, she would realise that the story was set in a time in the past.
Society Member
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

You have raised a good point there Moonraker. The 70s series was of course an adaptation of the Famous Five books and deviated from the original storylines many times for various reasons. However, I remain fond of this series as it was part of my regular TV viewing back in 1978/79.

The 1990s series was certainly very well done and closer to the original books. Jemima Rooper was an excellent choice to play the part of George and of course she is now a very well established actress.
peppermint peppy

Post by peppermint peppy »

....and anyway I'm waiting for this DVD box set with extras and language/subtitle options.I have no VHS copies and I don't wanna comfort myself with the 1990 series (have seen it once and forgotten-sorry- )and YouTube videos for a continuance.I think there are a lot of "older" people who are interested in to buy a DVD-collection of the 70's series.It's a piece of their youth they can get back if you understand what I mean.