Where is "Kirrin Cottage"?

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Gary Russell
Favourite book/series: FF
Favourite character: well duh...

Post by Gary Russell »

BlackSomething Cottage... suddenly popped into my head. Blackwater perhaps?

Folks, don't fret too much - I do have all this info in London and I will definiately get it next time I'm home.
Poxy

Post by Poxy »

Hi ya all!

@ Gary: now we are getting closer! Hope you will give us more details when you're back in London! Thanks!

@ pinkmoon + Andya: I guess will visit some locations at the weekends in July. Maybe we can meet somewhere!? Anyone else interested for a "Meet and greet at one of the locations"? :) Maybe the meadow at the river of "Go off in a caravan"?

Have a nice time and thanks again for making this a really interesting topic with so many people involved!
André
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

"BlackSomething Cottage...Gravel Lane...Outbuildings...Gary knows..." :wink:
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Andya

Post by Andya »

This is fun, almost like a race with treasure hunt clues. So, in the spirit of trying to work it out for ourselves, I've just scanned all the way along Summer Lane on MSLive. The only even reasonable match is indeed at Otterwood, the drive is the right shape but the outbuildings are missing (possible), the chimney is in the wrong place (unlikely) and the dormers don't show up. Under those circumstances even I'm not mad enough to walk out there, to check it, although if we pass it on the way to somewhere before Gary gets home we'll detour.

Speaking of which, a quick perusal of the nfdc structure plan places a 'Blackwater Farm' at SU 295098, north of Lyndhurst - rings a bell for some reason - maybe we camped there with one of the Morris sides on tour, but doesn't at first glance look right on MSLive. However, it's a huge complex and as such more likely to have changed than an individual cottage.

There's nothing remotely like Kirrin Cottage at Cadland, and I think in any case there's about 270degrees of arc in the Cottage shots in 'Kirrin Island', so I can't see how you'd avoid getting some of Fawley in shot (in another 'small world' moment I realised that I was working on the two enormous ethylene tanks (978 and 979 if I recall correctly) there when the filming would have been happening.

There are a couple of houses at Sowley that are big enough, but nothing like the gravel lane.

Was Kirrin station really Marchwood as the German site suggests? I don't know that area very well, but there are some big houses south of Marchwood proper - I'd guess, however, that there might be the same problem as on the Beaulieu river, that casual visitors with cameras attract a lot of attention.

I must go and do some real work now. More later.
regards
Andy A
pinkmoon

Post by pinkmoon »

Hmm.. darkwater is the stream that runs through the Exbury, gatewood area...there is a darkwater cottage somewhere. There is also blackwell common near blackfield :? .
Just re-reading Andya's post about Kirrin island, do you mean the bit where George calls timmy from the dog kennel?
If so that is in Exbury next to the old shop, the house opposite they have made up to look like a pub.
It gets quite confusing as theyve mixed and matched all sorts of areas together.
Must check out this MSlive thing Andya....and also otterwood when I get the chance.
Poxy

Post by Poxy »

Hi Andya,

the "Kirrin Station" is definitely in Marchwood. I just compared the screenshots with some pictures on the German Fanpage. No doubt.

Take care,
André
Gary Russell
Favourite book/series: FF
Favourite character: well duh...

Post by Gary Russell »

Kirrin Station was a disused platform at Marchwood (for some reason I'm thinking it was MoD property) possibly a single track. I know we used another part of it for the spook trains depot.

Oh and yes, my god we mixed and matched wholly different interiors and exteriors all the time. Indeed in Series II we still used the elusive Kirrin Cottage for main exteriors but also used Gatewood Cottage (qwhere we lived) for closer exteriors and all he interiors (in Series I, xbury was used for the Kirrin Cottage interiors).

I hope they do get FF out on DVD, cos I shall insist on doing commentaries on each episode to highlight this sort of thing.

And get it all wrong.

Probably.
peppermint peppy

Post subject: Re: Where is "Kirrin Cottage"?

Post by peppermint peppy »

Don't know if this could help you!Few sentences out of Gary's
retrospections.........

...Anyway, we turned Kirren Island Again into our introductory story. Kirren Cottage was a nice little place with rabbit hutches about twenty minutes from Exbury and the bay looking towards Kirren Island was Leape, also near Exbury. The island was painted on a sheet of glass and thus we could not walk behind it, or the illusion of this island floating on the waters of the Solent would be destroyed. Easy for us to understand, not so Toddy, who frequently would run the wrong way round this important prop and necessitate retake after retake.....................
Wouter

Post by Wouter »

pinkmoon wrote:Im glad people liked the photos, the bike is a yamaha fj1200, Wouter
Well, I thought it was a FJR, but I didn't want to make a wrong guess on this forum... :wink:

Gary Russell wrote:I hope they do get FF out on DVD, cos I shall insist on doing commentaries on each episode to highlight this sort of thing.
Felix from the German site was/is trying to release the 70ties series on DVD. On his site he describes his quest to find the rights of the series, unfortunately - even for me - it is all in German...

Gary, do you know if there are still plans to bring out the DVD?
Thanks - Wouter
pinkmoon

Post by pinkmoon »

Found it!!! it is indeed called Blackwater house and is near St leonards....more info coming after Ive had my tea :D
peppermint peppy

Drink faster!!!....Please.
pinkmoon

Post by pinkmoon »

Well we have Jim champion from http://www.geograph.org.uk/ to thank for this one.
When I emailed him the other day Blackwater cottage hadnt even been mentioned...this is the email ive just received

"I am confident that the building in those screenshots is Black Water
House. It is next to Warren Farm on Warren Lane, a private (gravel) lane
on the Beaulieu Estate that leads from St Leonards to Needs Ore Point.
The grid reference is SZ413973 and you can view a fairly detailed aerial
photograph at the following link:

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=50.77375 ... =0&src=msl "

I actually went down the lane on Saturday...goodness knows how I missed it.
I knew it was somewhere in that area!
I`ll try and have a scoot down there at the weekend and take some photos.
Mystery solved!
peppermint peppy

Thanks a lot PinkMoon.Afterwards Gary has mentioned Blackwater..lala I found also a stately home in Warren Ln..But it's at the end of the road and has got too much smokestacks.Probably it's Warren Farm as you mentioned.I had no idea to scroll left.
Aarrggh!
Well...close,but no cigar!
Last edited by peppermint peppy on 10 May 2007, 21:25, edited 2 times in total.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

That's brilliant, Pinkmoon! :D
[Pinkmoon:] I`ll try and have a scoot down there at the weekend and take some photos.
That would be great if you get the chance.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

many thanks for the detective work pinkmoon. Yes some pics would be great if you can.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member