Five Find-Outers TV series?

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Re: Five Find-Outers TV series?

Post by Eddie Muir »

Fiona1986 wrote:Indeed, Spitty.
Agreed! Sunfortunate! :)
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Personally, I am rather relieved that this project never got off the ground. My relationship with the Find-Outer series is so special, and the settings and characters are unique, I feel, to my own mind, that to see someone else's ideas on the magical qualitites of these books would be in the least upsetting. I cannot really understand this urge to see one's favourite books portrayed on a screen. I have just watched Angels & Demons, and the plot changes were considerable. Last week's Marple (ITV) was a travesty. It was based on a book that didn't even feature the grande dame! In fact, apart from the central theme, it bore almost no resemblance to the book.

Incidentally, getting back to the Peterswood 6, as the setting and characters are so firmly planted in my mind, I would like to look into other's minds to see what they see. I wonder if it would differ much? I imagine it would, as Peterswood is heavily influenced by the streets and lanes where I was born.
Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I think I am inclined to agree with you Nigel. I have never been particularly keen to see stories I have loved put onto either the big or small screen either! I have seen one or two adaptations of children's books in the past and have usually been disappointed because they were not in keeping with my mental images. I have reached book 14 in the Find-Outer series in my latest re-read and as always I am so familiar with the road layout which I "saw" when I first read the books as they were being written, that to see another scenario would be quite off-putting I think! Long live our imaginations!
However, if filming the stories introduces our beloved characters to other people who would otherwise not ever meet them, then maybe there is a place for them - but not on my shelves!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I know exactly what you both mean, Daisy and Moonraker, as you say, in our mind's eye we all have our own images of Peterswood, and Fatty and Co. But I also have a curiosity to see them on TV. The series is the only one I've read where I feel the children were so real, and I feel very close to them, even now. (I guess this is why I wanted them to still be alive in my own mind and at the age they would all be now). Everyones versions of Peterswood would no doubt be intirely different, and I feel that even if I did see it on the TV screen, and would love watching it, those special memories of the 'Peterswood 6', as Nigel referred to them, would always remain special and undisturbed in my own mind.

Long live Fatty and Co. :P

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

On reflection, I'm inclined to agree too. It would be very difficult to accept someone else's depiction of the 'Peterswood 6'. Like, Nigel, my relationship with the Five Find-Outers and Dog and their environment is so special that I am sure I would be disappointed with any television adaptation. I have some of the books on cassette and CD and even these failed to live up to my expectations! :cry:

As Julie says, Long live Fatty and Co, but our own interpretation of them! :)
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

I guess I'm in the minority here, but regardless of how I imagine the FFO to be like in my own mind, I would love to see them on the silver screen, set in the proper period. Watching movies happen to be a favourite pastime of mine, and if a good adaptation of an FFO mystery is filmed, then I'll of course be watching them, and they'll be on my shelves.

Society Member
Wayne Pyer
Favourite book/series: adventure/find outers
Favourite character: Bill Smugs/Kiki/Fatty

Post by Wayne Pyer »

Ming wrote:I guess I'm in the minority here, but regardless of how I imagine the FFO to be like in my own mind, I would love to see them on the silver screen, set in the proper period. Watching movies happen to be a favourite pastime of mine, and if a good adaptation of an FFO mystery is filmed, then I'll of course be watching them, and they'll be on my shelves.
I agree Ming.
I will always see the find outers in my own way, in my minds eye but I am also fascinated to see how others see them and to see their interpretations.

So I am pro TV series on the whole. :D
Wayne, living in an Enid Blyton world.