Famous Five '78 series Memorabilia - UPDATED 130507 Page 3

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
George@Kirrin

Re: Famous Five '78 series Memorabilia - UPDATED 130507 Page 3

Post by George@Kirrin »

Lucky... Yes, I am, however some of them cost a pretty penny, and I used to finance my buying by tutoring (not like Mr Roland though!!)

I still find the odd gem now, and do keep an eye out for things

I'm away now till Friday on a course but when I return I'll try and update this page now that people have re visited it... I can bring the odd thing to EB day too if people want a better look....
Image The definitive '78 series nut.
Dick Kirrin
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Julian, Dick

Post by Dick Kirrin »

Thank you very much Zoe. It would be lovely to see some more items. :D
Excessive collecting of whatever stuff it is can leave you with a small fortune, but only if you had a big one before. :) Bidding against Gary on ebay might turn into a costly habit, too.

You did tutoring? In which subjects if I may ask? I just wonder, you are the first member of the police that I know to do tutoring, and I have yet to meet a teacher doing police work. Except catching pupils cheating at tests, smoking underage and such stuff, that is.

About that disgrace of my profession, Mr Roland, he is the exception from the rule, you can trust teachers as a rule. (Especially whenever they call another teacher a liar :D - Just kidding. )

Cheers

Dick Kirrin
"You just never knew what would happen. It made life exciting, of course - but it did spoil a cycling tour!"
George@Kirrin

Post by George@Kirrin »

I'll pm you Dick or I'll end up having to tell myself off for going off topic :)

Stand by...
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

Dick Kirrin wrote: The TV Times photo made me smile or rather grin. :lol:
Marcus with body protectors, well, safety first they say. Beats me, however why he didn't wear a seat belt in "Five get into a fix".
Am I alone in finding that TV Times photo shoot to be very surreal indeed? Poor old Marcus in that skateboarding gear! As regards seatbelts, it was not compulsory to wear them back in 1978, the UK seatbelt law came into effect a few years later in 1983.
Dick Kirrin

Post by Dick Kirrin »

No, you are not the only one, Petermax. That's what partly made me smile. :) It is a cool picture though and some aspects of the character as I know them from the episodes are in it. Quite a lot of others are missing, however.
Jennifer is a lot more of an adventurous type, for example. The mischiefous way Michelle is portrayed looks right to me. Marcus in the skateboarding gear which looks like he's going to do a car chase with Body and Doyle from the "Professionals" instead of skateboarding looks a bit strange indeed. But as the responsible leader of the Five he just wants to set a model... . Gary, well, isn't he actually meeting fate in the person of Doctor Who?

Cheers

Dick Kirrin

PS:
As regards seatbelts, it was not compulsory to wear them back in 1978, the UK seatbelt law came into effect a few years later in 1983.
About the same time in Germany, too. But I take it that skateboarders were not obliged by law to wear that much protection gear either. :wink:
"You just never knew what would happen. It made life exciting, of course - but it did spoil a cycling tour!"
Timmy254
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five
Favourite character: Dick, Timmy the dog

Post by Timmy254 »

Thanks for all the pictures of your collection, Zoe! I'm looking forward to seeing more of them :D
The TV Times photo made me smile, too. :) I'd really like to know what they were saying :wink:
"A true friend is someone who thinks that you're a good egg even though he knows that you're slightly cracked."
Kiki's new mam
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/Malory Towers

Post by Kiki's new mam »

Timmy254 wrote:Thanks for all the pictures of your collection, Zoe! I'm looking forward to seeing more of them :D
The TV Times photo made me smile, too. :) I'd really like to know what they were saying :wink:
yes i'm looking forward to seeing more of your collection, its very interesting.
i say, imagine if michele gallagher was the real george, how would they get her to get in that dress? :lol: :wink:

Leila.

PS what does the clothes their wearing have to do with the famous five? :?: :D
Dick Kirrin

Post by Dick Kirrin »

The staight answer is probably "nothing!" :D

My interpretation would be that the clothes and situations they are photographed in are meant to say something about their character or at least the way the producers wanted to present them.

Cheers

Dick Kirrin
Kiki's new mam

Post by Kiki's new mam »

Dick Kirrin wrote:
The staight answer is probably "nothing!" :D

My interpretation would be that the clothes and situations they are photographed in are meant to say something about their character or at least the way the producers wanted to present them.

Cheers

Dick Kirrin
:lol: :lol: oh well, at least gary (dick) isn't too bad, i acually thought that marcus (Julian) was not too bad either and that he was in roller blading stuff! :oops: (just when i've been roller blading not to long ago :roll: )

also if the producers wanted to say something about the character, where does the dress (for george out of all people :lol: ) and the ballerina stuff come from? :lol:

i must say they look rather funny :lol: :oops:

Leila.
Timmy254

Post by Timmy254 »

Dick Kirrin wrote:My interpretation would be that the clothes and situations they are photographed in are meant to say something about their character or at least the way the producers wanted to present them.
Hm, to me it looks more as if they were introducing Michele, Marcus, Jennifer and Gary (and not George, Julian, Anne and Dick) to the readers but I may be wrong. Maybe it's about what the actors like to do in their spare time.
"A true friend is someone who thinks that you're a good egg even though he knows that you're slightly cracked."
Gary Russell
Favourite book/series: FF
Favourite character: well duh...

Post by Gary Russell »

Timmy254 wrote:
Dick Kirrin wrote:My interpretation would be that the clothes and situations they are photographed in are meant to say something about their character or at least the way the producers wanted to present them.
Hm, to me it looks more as if they were introducing Michele, Marcus, Jennifer and Gary (and not George, Julian, Anne and Dick) to the readers but I may be wrong. Maybe it's about what the actors like to do in their spare time.
Nope you are spot on. It was about presenting us as opposed to the characters.
Timmy254

Post by Timmy254 »

Gary Russell wrote:Nope you are spot on. It was about presenting us as opposed to the characters.
Now the mystery is solved! Thank you, Gary! :D

...and the sleepless nights are over! Phew! :mrgreen:
Kiki's new mam

Re: Famous Five '78 series Memorabilia

Post by Kiki's new mam »

please, do post a few picture's George, i'm really looking forward to seeing them! (not pressuring you or anything :D ) but i would really like to them :D

Leila.

PS where do you get all that stuff from anyway? :?: :?:
George@Kirrin

Post by George@Kirrin »

Apologies that I've not had time yet to fully update my post, every picture currently on here needs resizing to you can view them properly and my puter is on a go slow...

I thought, however this may be of interest - my latest addition and one that has originally been marketed in Jo'Burg

Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Pretty cool. What is it, a 7" single or an LP?
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member