DID I dream this?

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Moose
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers
Favourite character: Fatty

DID I dream this?

Post by Moose »

I was hoping that someone might answer this when I mentioned it in a thread earlier but alas noone did so I thought I'd give it a thread of its own :). I distinctly remember, a few years ago - between five and ten I would guess - reading a couple of newspaper reports saying that children's TV was thinking of filming Malory Towers, and having Liz Hurley to play Miss Potts. This sounds so improbable! But I am sure that I didn't dream it.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Time to die.

EF
dsr

Post by dsr »

Liz Hurley to play Miss Potts? Good grief!

That particular news item certainly slipped my notice, but it wouldn't be the first unlikely casting in a school film. Patsy Kensit played the bishop's daughter (Jennifer someone?) in "Schoolgirl Chums" a good few years back.
Moose

Post by Moose »

I'm not going mad!! I really though I might have dreamed or imagined that. But I found this:
). Last October, there was outrage at plans to televise the Malory Towers series, but update it in the style of Beverly Hills 90210 with bitchiness, boyfriends and Liz Hurley in the key role as Miss Potts, firm but fair head of the first year. Fans of the series see no reason to update the adventures of Darrell Rivers and her friends, who meet in the first year and stick together till the sixth form (when Darrell, natch, is made head girl).
from here:

http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:pf ... 7&ie=UTF-8
Time to die.

EF
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

It was actually about ten years ago and part of the rumour was also that Dawn French and Jennifer Saunders had been lined up to play the two Mam'zelles Dupont and Rougier respectively. There is no smoke without fire and it is true that Granada acquired the film rights to a number of Enid Blyton books including the Malory Towers series. At this stage the press started inevitable speculation most of which had no foundation at all as Granada decided at a fairly early stage not to use their option and the rights reverted back to Chorion.
NaughtiestGirl

Post by NaughtiestGirl »

I don't know about Liz Hurley :roll: but Dawn French as one of the Mamzelles sounds absolutely fabulous to me :lol: !
Moose

Post by Moose »

I am glad that they didn't go ahead with the plans though. Unless they were going to stick to the forties ethos, and I am fairly sure that they wouldn't, then I wouldn't want to see such a dramatisation. Strange that none of the school stories has ever, to the best of my knowledge, been brought to screen though.

Can you just imagine Gwen moaning over being dumped by her latest boyfriend and Alicia sneaking a sly fag in the toilets before afternoon lessons? Perhaps Darrell and Sally sharing make up tips or Irene and Belinda comparing breast sizes? My blood pressure wouldn't take it.
Time to die.

EF
Michelle is 'Chelle

Post by Michelle is 'Chelle »

I agree - Malory Towers wouldn't work Grange Hill-ised let alone 90210-ised!
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Michelle is 'Chelle wrote:I agree - Malory Towers wouldn't work Grange Hill-ised let alone 90210-ised!
"Flippin' 'eck Felicity, that June's a right nutjob!"
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Moose, you know how to wrap HTML round URLs, so why don't you do it? I need a 50 inch widescreen to read this thread now! :wink:
Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Or, to be a bit more accurate, I need a 44 cm one. Anyway, yeah Moose, you do know how to do that, why don't you? And I don't like URLs that stretch the screen. Makes it difficult to reply.

Society Member
dolly
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers, St. Clares
Favourite character: Carlotta, Alicia

Re: DID I dream this?

Post by dolly »

"The twins at St. Clares" will be filmed in Germany. I was very shocked to hear that the story will be modernized and "germanized". Imagine the pupils having mobile phones and the boarding school is located somewhere in Southern Germany and is called "Lindenhof"! The script is as follows: Pat and Isabell (Hanni und Nanni) were sent to the boarding school because they were "caught in the act" - they stole something in a store. Miss Theobald was a friend of their mother - so the decision was made to "get rid of them". Horrible, isn´t it?
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I just hope nobody thinks Enid Blyton wrote it. It seems to me to be rather underhanded to take someone's story and change it but use the original story's popularity to promote the modern "version". yes, I agree - it is horrible.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Re:

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

Moonraker wrote:Moose, you know how to wrap HTML round URLs, so why don't you do it? I need a 50 inch widescreen to read this thread now! :wink:

I don't. :oops: :?

Hints, please, someone!

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
dolly
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers, St. Clares
Favourite character: Carlotta, Alicia

Post by dolly »

Last week I watched an abstract (correct word?) of the German movie "St. Clares" (Hanni und Nanni). Believe me - horrible!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I think you mean "excerpt" :D. I've seen some still photos of "Hanni und Nanni" somewhere and the twins looked nothing like I'd imagined.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member