The Island of Adventure 1982 - TV Film and Related Book

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Stephen

The Island of Adventure 1982 - TV Film and Related Book

Post by Stephen »

Does anyone remember this film-for-television one-off? It wasn't long after I had first read the book and therefore had definite images in my mind. But we were suddenly given a curly haired Bill (played by Norman Bowler), dark haired Jack and Lucy-Ann (Jack had glasses and was played by character actor Perry Benson), a blonde Philip and Dinah, and a white Jo-Jo (simply called Joe). Uncle Jocelyn was played by Wilfrid Brambell and Kiki was "played" by stalwart voice artiste Percy Edwards.

Other things I remember was that Bill drove a Range Rover, Craggy Tops was near Penzance and Joe was killed when Dinah and Lucy-Ann dropped a bucket on him as he was climbing up the well. But other memories are rather fuzzy. Does anyone else remember it?
Moose
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Moose »

I have seen it but don't remember anything about it other than Jo Jo was Joe and that he was rather older than I had imagined him to be.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Time to die.

EF
George@Kirrin

Post by George@Kirrin »

Seen it, love it, have it on VHS.

Interestingly Joe in it is Hunchy out of the 78 Five get into trouble...
Image The definitive '78 series nut.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I have seen it, can't remember much about it, save that I wasn't impressed. Norman Bowler as Bill - Emmerdale's Frank Tate - I don't think so!

Some details can be found here

It was filmed in Cornwall. The main locations were Mullion Cove, Poldhu Cove (near Mullion) and Wheal Coates, near St Agnes.
Society Member
Kitty
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers/Malory Towers
Favourite character: Alicia, Fatty, Gwendoline

Post by Kitty »

I've got a book of it somewhere, or did have one once, not quite a photo story but heavily pictured, anyway - Perry Benson looks really amusing in some of the pics - I can imagine him as Jack though! And Dinah had white wellies, if memory serves me correctly! Must be a fun thing to watch.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I too have the 'Island of Adventure' annual, filled with coloured and black and white pictures from the film. I really like it as an annual, but don't think much of most of the actors chosen to play the parts. Bill isnt even balding!

In fact, the modern setting and the change of plot has put me off searching for the film. I think I would be dissapointed, as I was with the film of 'Castle'.

The best visualisation of any Enid blyton book is in our own minds!
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Robert Houghton wrote: The best visualisation of any Enid blyton book is in our own minds!

How I agree, Robert!

I have the 70s and 90s FF tv progs, and the Castle of Adventure (complete) and the 1950s Five on a Treasure Island, I do like to watch them, but, I always get annoyed about something! :evil:

So, for me, it's the books (originals where possible) every time. :D
Society Member
Katharine

What Enid Blyton book are you reading right NOW!

Post by Katharine »

Merged with an older topic.

I've just read The Island of Adventure and was very disappointed.

It's a 1982 edition with photos from the film and I assumed it was the original story but with modern pictures. I didn't notice until the end the very small print that mentions there are changes. Even then I don't think it really reflects how much the story has been mucked about with.

I could have just about accepted everything up until the end, but then I was sickened that a book with Enid Blyton's name on it should feature so much death. I can never recall any of her books featuring the 'baddies' being killed, and even if there is one, I'm pretty much 100% certain that no criminal ever met their death at the hands of one of the child characters.

If as a child that had been my first taste of an Enid Blyton adventure book, then I doubt I'd have picked up another one. For me it totally destroyed what her books were about, I'm just thankful that I've read the real Island of Adventure.

Yet again, I fail to see why someone felt it acceptable/necessary to take what was a brilliant book in its own right and put their own twist on it.
Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series

Re: What Enid Blyton book are you reading right NOW!

Post by Wolfgang »

So you finally found the time to read it after 7 years, Katharine ;-).
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Wolfgang, I probably have quite a few books that I've had a number of years and have never read - out of a collection of about 2,000, I have now read just over 200. Although many of the titles are duplicates, such as having both paperback and hardbacks of the same stories.

At the current rate, it will take me about 20 years to read everything I have, but that's assuming I don't acquire any more books. :shock:
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

What's this? :shock: Who gets killed? Who does the killing? This is certainly not as version of The Island of Adventure I have ever read before. Is it a screenplay of the film rather than the actual novel? I'd be annoyed too if I found that the whole ending of a book had been changed.

EDIT: I can't find a cover such as you describe in the Cave of Books either Katharine. Could you post a picture of it?
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series

Post by Wolfgang »

I suppose it's this: https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/for ... m&start=30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Thanks Wolfgang. I'm surprised to see that it apparently says the story is unchanged when it most definitely has been changed. It's quite a nice looking book although I wouldn't personally be interested in buying it.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Thanks Wolfgang, yes, that is the one.

John, I forget the exact wording, but it said something along the lines that the main story was Enid Blyton's but that some of the language had been modernised - a bit of an understatement in my opinion.

SPOILER ALERT

As for the deaths, well the 'boss' shoots Jake (one of the baddies) as they prepare to escape from the island, then the Navy blow up the baddies' submarine (so presumably killing the crew). The boss is cornered once he reaches the mainland so takes a cyanide pill.

Finally, Jo is climbing up the well and shooting at the girls who are at the top, so Dinah lets the bucket drop and hears a yell (or cry), a splash and then silence, so I'm assuming he drowns. I found that particularly sickening. It was bad enough reading it, but I shudder to think what it must be like to watch it.

Perhaps I wouldn't be so sensitive about all the killing (after all I enjoy Agatha Christie) if it wasn't supposed to be an Enid Blyton story.
Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I suppose it may mean the story is unchanged from the film version! I hate the idea of stories being manipulated in such a big way. I can just about manage to watch the TV adaptations of the Famous Five stories without too much flinching! I certainly would have no desire to read that version Katharine.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member