Invisible onion necklace?

Looking for a book or a story? Post details here and hopefully someone will be able to help.
Broadbeans
Location: Cheshire. Hobbies: Old Motorbikes and Camping. Heroines: Anita and Ming!

Post by Broadbeans »

Hi, all! I wonder if anyone can please help me relive my early years! Trying to trace an Enid book of stories, one of which featured an invisible string of onions which was put around a bullying girl's neck, to make her cry? Come on, Tony and Anita - help me out with this one! Point me in the right direction with your antlers, Moose! :roll: Johnny
Moose
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Moose »

I've just seen this and I have to say that it rings no bells whatsoever but I didn't want to leave the thread unanswered. Invisible onions .. it does sound fairly Blytonesque but I dunno where it would be :D
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Time to die.

EF
tix

Post by tix »

It sounds like "The Magic Onion" which is in the 1940's book "Let's Have a Story." Winnie liked to make people cry then point her finger and say "Cry-baby, cry" and so on. She never seemed to shed tears herself because she was rather brave but Jack who was in her class used the magic onion necklace on her. The essence of the story may have been duplicated in a similar one as is often the case with Enid Blyton stories. If I had been more observant you could have had a copy that I gave to the Salvation Army a few days ago but if you keep searching the auction sites you should be lucky. AbeBooks has several, naturally.
Broadbeans
Location: Cheshire. Hobbies: Old Motorbikes and Camping. Heroines: Anita and Ming!

Re: Invisible onion necklace?

Post by Broadbeans »

Thanxxx, Moose! And thanxx Tiq - that's it! I remember the names, and 'cry baby'! I recall the book quite well, as it had a curious textured finish, rather like the bark of a tree, I used to think!

Best wishes from Johnny!