Searching for a solo chapter book

Looking for a book or a story? Post details here and hopefully someone will be able to help.
Jomo
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George, Timmy, Anne

Searching for a solo chapter book

Post by Jomo »

I can’t find this one in the cave of books. I can’t remember the title or any names:
I’ts about a girl who is sent away from home to stay with an older aunt who runs a small general store and post office in an English village. The story takes place over several months, before she returns home.
The girl is very upset and homesick at first. She is also totally unused to doing anything for herself, and has no idea how to make a pot of tea, or make soft-boiled eggs.
Her aunt is kindly but strict and beds are made every morning, there’s dusting and sweeping to do, breakfast over and done with before the shop is opened. After a while the girl settles into the routine, learning lots of practical skills on the way, and also is entrusted to do deliveries of shop goods on occasion.
After several months with the aunt, she returns home to her parents and a new baby in the family. Presumably the mother had a difficult pregnancy and that’s why the girl was sent to stay with the aunt.
I’m pretty sure this was an Enid Blyton book, there’s a chance I could be wrong - though children separated from parents due to mother’s illness is a pretty common theme in her stories. The descriptiveness and the ‘inside the child mind’ perspective is also there.
I have a feeling that the book was written during the blitz in wartime, and was a conscious attempt to help children removed from their families to adjust to and cope with new and strange circumstances.
“To grow up in intimate association with nature – animal and vegetable – is an irreplaceable form of wealth and culture.” 
~Miles Franklin, Childhood At Brindabella: My First Ten Years
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Re: Searching for a solo chapter book

Post by pete9012S »

Jomo, the plotline reminds me a bit of Goodnight Mr Tom, but of course that cannot be the book you are thinking of.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodnight ... Tom_(film)

There's also Carrie's War - Nina Bawden but I don't think that's the one either Jomo.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrie%27s_War

Regards

Pete
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Jomo

Post by Jomo »

Thanks Pete

You’re right, not these two!

I read this book in the early 60’s and it had a distinctly ‘vintage’ feel to it then. I was about 9-10 yo then and I felt that the protagonist was aged a little younger, maybe 7-8 years old.
The book did not specifically mention the war or the blitz, I just had a feeling that was the background to the story when I was reading it. I might have that wrong though!
However, just as the war is never overtly acknowledged in the Famous Five books, though the possibilities of espionage are one of the major themes in the series, so with this book about a child sent to live in a distant country village amongst strangers doesn’t overtly mention the situation of evacuee children, but emulates their circumstances neatly, including the underlying feelings of disruption, dislocation, and loneliness. The book was clearly intended by the author to be both reassuring and character building, to inculcate a sense of cooperation along with resilience, confidence and self-reliance. It had a masterful appreciation of common-sense child psychology. On the surface it’s a charming story about a child learning to fit in and maturing a bit in strange circumstances, but in truth it was much more than that.
“To grow up in intimate association with nature – animal and vegetable – is an irreplaceable form of wealth and culture.” 
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Sounds like a good book Jomo - I bet someone here knows.
My money is on Daisy & Anita for starters!

As you know, Enid didn't write too much about the war - this is another guess, but I don't think it's correct either!!

During the war thousands of children were evacuated to the more remote and less targeted places around Britain. The bombing by the Third Reich devastated key areas of the country amongst which included Birmingham, Coventry, Plymouth, Manchester and especially London. It was common sense to evacuate the young people away from the action instead of having to make up beds on the platforms and the escalators of the underground railways. Two such evacuees were Tom and Sheila who were sent from London to live in the quieter surroundings of a village in Scotland. They found remoteness with a capital "R" because they ended up in Kidillin which could bring to mind a cosy little Scottish comunity such as the fictional Tannochbrae — only a good deal smaller. There are just three shops in Kidillin but plenty of hills and streams and heather and animals and the sea is only a few miles away where gulls can be seen rising high over the cliffs in the distance. Tom and Sheila arrive to be greeted by their cousins and hosts — Sandy and Jeanie MacLaren, together with a governess — Miss Mitchell.
https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/boo ... f+Kidillin

Society Member
Jomo

Post by Jomo »

I definitely haven’t read The Children of Kidillin - that’s one for the ‘must read’ list!
:D
Thanks Pete!

I’ve found it on the Canadian site - originally published under the pseudonym of ‘Mary Pollock’
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

pete9012S wrote: 14 Jan 2022, 13:44 Sounds like a good book Jomo - I bet someone here knows.
My money is on Daisy & Anita for starters!
I don't know the book, I'm afraid, but I hope someone is able to help. It would be interesting to know what it is!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
shadow
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery / Mary Pollock / Adventure Series
Favourite character: Kiki / Loony

Post by shadow »

This sounds similar to a book by Patricia St John called Rainbow Garden. Although the child is sent to a family in the country as her mother has an amazing job offer so it might not be.
If I could live here on this secret island always and always and always, and never grow up at all, I would be quite happy
Jomo

Post by Jomo »

Thanks Shadow,
Definitely not Rainbow Garden
I found a borrowable copy of that on archive.org;
https://archive.org/details/isbn_9780802465788
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

I'll tell you what Jomo - we may get some excellent book reading suggestions, even if we can't pin down your book!

Society Member
Jomo

Post by Jomo »

I ‘think’ I’ve remembered the name of the protagonist- I’m half sure it was ‘Mollie’ or ‘Molly’
I still have no idea of the title of the book.
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

It does sound 'Blytonish', but I can't say it rings any bells with me either.

I hope you track down the story, it would be interesting to know who it was by if it wasn't Enid Blyton.
Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

At the moment I can't think of it either. It sounds like a good book!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I don't recognise it from your description either, Jomo, but it does sound like a good read! Hope you manage to track it down.

I have read The Children of Kidillin and can highly recommend it. A short but exciting adventure story, one of the very few of Enid's that are explicitly set during WW2 and make direct reference to it.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I'm afraid I still can't name the book but this thread always gives me a smile when I look at the list of topics on the board as the thread title is shortened to "Searching for a solo chap..." :lol:
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

I am wondering what you are looking at, Anita? All my visuals of the topic name show in full - even on the small iPhone screen as here in this screenshot of the list of topics.

However, I hope you manage to find him. :D ;)

"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member