Looking for a Book With a Map

Looking for a book or a story? Post details here and hopefully someone will be able to help.
kathrynvstewart

Looking for a Book With a Map

Post by kathrynvstewart »

I'm trying to track down a book from my childhood that had a map of the characters' neighborhood printed on the inside cover. I think it may be an Edit Blyton book, possibly The Boy Next Door (the plot was very similar, about an American family moving in and the kids played Indians). I just ordered the 1951 edition and it does not have the map. Does anyone know if other editions of this book have a map? Or another, smiliar Blyton book? Thanks for your help!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Looking for a Book With a Map

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Welcome, Kathryn.

The Happy House Children Again is about two children (Tommy and Betty - though they're not American) who come to stay at the house next door and cause trouble for the Happy House children (Jack, Jane and Benjy). One memorable scene involves a rough and chaotic game of Red Indians. There is a map of the neighbourhood on the endpapers of the first edition:

https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/boo ... dren+Again" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
kathrynvstewart

Post by kathrynvstewart »

I looked at this map and it's not it, unfortunately. The one I'm thinking of was a grid (view from directly above) that showed the houses and streets. At the end of one street was a hedge or something they'd pass through to a place where they would go play/have adventures. Thank you for responding though!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Sorry it's not the one. I hope someone will come up with the title you're looking for.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Books I know of with maps on the endpapers are the Cherrys series by Will Scott, the Milly-Molly-Mandy stories by Joyce Lankester-Brisley and the Lone Pine books by Malcolm Saville. All are somewhat Blytonian, though I suspect it won't be a Lone Pine book as I don't recall any such storyline and I have read most of them (by the end ones I haven't read they'd be too old for those sort of games.)
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member