Does a toy farm ring any bells?

Looking for a book or a story? Post details here and hopefully someone will be able to help.
Laura_e

Does a toy farm ring any bells?

Post by Laura_e »

Hi..

I am racking my brains trying to remember the books/collections that these stories are from and if anyone could help, that would be great.

I recall a story about a boy who collected toy farm animals, pieces of fence etc and bought a piece each week to build his farm from his pocket money. He might have lived above a shop, maybe owned by his grandparents/aunt and uncle. I am sure this was from a short story.

The next one is even more vague.. a girl rides a horse into a forest and meets a prince. I’m sure there were 2 girls in the story - either one that was pretty and kind mannered and one that was ugly and mean OR one girl that made herself into the 2 different types with some sort of magic. Another short story I think and I remember it had some moral to it..

Any ideas? Or am I dreaming?

Laura :)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Does a toy farm ring any bells?

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Welcome to the forums, Laura. The tales you mention sound like two stories from The Tower in Ho-Ho Wood and Other Stories (Award, 1989). 'The Little Toy Farm' is about a boy who lives above his uncle's toy shop and builds a farm by buying a piece each week from his pocket money. 'The Tower in Ho-Ho Wood' is about two girls, Mary Ann and Mary Jane, one kind and one mean. One meets a prince and the other meets...... but I won't spoil the end of the story. :wink:

https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/boo ... er+Stories" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another Enid Blyton tale that's similar to 'The Tower in Ho-Ho Wood' is 'The Little Candy House', about Rosalind and Rosemary. I've got that story in Enid Blyton's Fireside Tales (Collins). Another Collins book, Once Upon a Time Stories, includes 'The Little Toy Farm'.

https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/boo ... side+Tales" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/boo ... me+Stories" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Laura_e

Post by Laura_e »

Yes yes yes!

Thank you so much.. we definitely had that book! I will see if I can dig it out or find another copy.

:)
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

The Tower in Ho-Ho Wood was one of the few Awards books I had and I remember both those stories from it. I've not read The Little Candy House but Susan Sweet and Sally Sour is another story I recall as being similar to Ho-Ho Wood.
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶