Five on a hike together

Looking for a book or a story? Post details here and hopefully someone will be able to help.
Enikyoga

Re: Re:

Post by Enikyoga »

Moonraker wrote:
Moonraker wrote:It would appear that the moor featured in this book is most certainly Dartmoor, in Devon. There is a large prison there at Princetown.
However, the boys' school is meant to be at one end and the girls' school at the other end.

It is of note on P130 that Dirty Dick's hair makes one of the four to think his name should be Golliwog.

Shades of Carol Thatcher?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZFEhWOmlew" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Unlike Carol Thatcher who described a real black person, tennis player, as being a
golliwog, Enid Blyton did not directly describe any person, especially a black person, as a golliwog or
worse, a nigger.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Re: Five on a hike together

Post by Rob Houghton »

The most amazing thing is that one of the people who complained was JO BRAND: a more disgustingly foul-mouthed individual would be hard to find! :x
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Robert Houghton wrote:The most amazing thing is that one of the people who complained was JO BRAND: a more disgustingly foul-mouthed individual would be hard to find! :x
How I agree. I can never understand how it seems perfectly acceptable to swear profusely, make exceedingly crude and obscene jokes which make people fall about laughing (Ricky Gervais's solo performances spring to mind), but mention a golliwog and the whole world comes down on you like a ton of bricks.

Incidentally,
enikyoga wrote:...Enid Blyton did not directly describe any person, especially a black person, as a golliwog...
I passed a beautiful young black woman in Oxford Street, the other day. I immediately realised how much she reminded me of a golliwog; the same hair and happy face, but different clothes. Does that make me racist in principal (is to sin in the mind the same as to sin out loud (if indeed I have sinned at all)?)

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

That was the point i was trying to make when a certain individual took offense a few weeks back. Just because we know things shouldnt be said soesnt mean we might still think them (not particularly in a bad way, just a passing thought). Does that make it any less politically correct?

I was trying to say that just because we don't speak things out loud (we as a nation, not individually!) it doesnt mean we have got rid of all the non PC thoughts.

One very funny thing (well, I think its a sign of the times) is that Birmingham city council have decided this year that the St Patricks day celebrations in Birmingham will be 'multi-racial' - using Banghra (sorry if it's spelt wrong :oops: ) dancers and steel drums to reflect the multi-racial aspect of our city. This is fine, but isnt St Patricks Day an Irish celebration? Why does it need to be made multi-racial?? :roll:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
manzanita
Favourite book/series: Five Find Outers, Barney, Secret and Adventure!

Post by manzanita »

I agree... just because you celebrate a certain nation or culture does not mean to say you are being racist to others. You can be patriotic and accepting of other cultures although this does seem to be forgotten. Why can't we take things in the spirit they are meant?

At Christmas a customer got diffcult with a colleague of mine over her saying "Merry Christmas" because he "was not of her faith". Now honestly, why can't you just take it as words of seasonal good will? I don't care if you wish me Happy Christmas, Happy Diwali or Merry Hanukah - I hear the sentiment you are conveying not your words. Why can't other people?

Like with golliwogs - I don't hear racism or think of black people, I remember my cuddly smiling friend with bright clothes from when I was a child.

Would anyone assume a Barbie doll in the hands of a black person is a racist symbol? Probably not, yet Barbie is potentially just as race representative as a golliwog and nobody really bats an eyelid. If you were that opposed to certain groups - would you have a representation of it in the house?