Story about a cat, and one about a Doggerel

Looking for a book or a story? Post details here and hopefully someone will be able to help.
tix

Story about a cat, and one about a Doggerel

Post by tix »

A story I read years ago was about a cat or kitten who for some reason had no home. He entered a street with about 10 or 12 houses and he visited each dwelling one after the other. He came up against problems in each place but in the last chapter he reached the end house in the street and found a good home with a wonderful family.

The other book I would like to see again is about a boy's pet. I think it was a dog and was called "Doggerel" or something similar and it had the ability to change into a log of wood. This came in handy at various times - perhaps when there was a threatening situation. Can't remember much about it at all but maybe someone recognises it.
HeatherS
Favourite book/series: Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by HeatherS »

I read a short story a few weeks ago about a cat who was unhappy with its home and went to find a new one, but found out nothing was better than its own home and owner. I can't remember the name of it (it was something like "The Silly Cat", but if it's the one I'll go hunting through the short story books I've read recently. It wasn't The Water Lily Story Book, which has a story "The Silly Little Cat" (as listed on this website), but of course it may be a reprint of the same story in a different compilation.
Heather
"Have you held your breath in wonder, at the sky so dark and deep?" - Enid Blyton
http://www.heathersblytonpages.com/
tix

Cat & Doggerel

Post by tix »

Thank you for your interest. No the cat wasn't Tiptoe. I am sure that the home it found was in the last place visited. In the others it may have been chased by a dog or perhaps there was a rival cat in the family but the end house was perfect and this naturally ended the story on a high note. The book would go back to the 1950's or more probably the 1940's (I think) and I'm fairly sure it wasn't by Enid Blyton.