Help!!!!! Please :-)

Looking for a book or a story? Post details here and hopefully someone will be able to help.
bimberella

Help!!!!! Please :-)

Post by bimberella »

hi - im trying to find a book that has a story about a little girl who doesnt have any friends and who has to learn how to be a friend. I cant quite remember the story - it was a long time ago :-( She may not have been invited to a party???? I think it was in a collection of short stories??? I would be soooo grateful if someone could help!!!! Thanks :-) x
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Hi Bimberella,

You may be thinking of "She Hadn't Any Friends," about a girl called Linda who feels lonely because she has no friends. Her teacher, Miss Brown (aren't they always called Miss Brown?!) tells her that it's because she's "an in-between person...not nice, and not nasty either...the way to make friends, Linda, is to BE one." Well, that bit of plain speaking has an effect on Linda but I won't say what because it would spoil the story! I have a copy of that story in Bedtime Stories (Purnell Sunshine Library, 1970).

With so many of Enid Blyton's stories having been updated, I wouldn't be surprised to come across a modern version called "Nigel No-Mates." (Not our own Nigel - aka Moonraker - who is very sociable!)

Another book in the Purnell Sunshine Library series (Anytime Tales) contains a story called "Little Queenie," about a girl who has a heart of stone. I mention it because it's a bit similar to "She Hadn't Any Friends."

I hope one of these tales is the one you're looking for, Bimberella. Enid Blyton did tend to write several stories on the same theme, with variations.

Anita
bimberella

Post by bimberella »

:lol: Thats the one!!! thats the one!!!!!!!!!! u dont know how grateful i am!!!!! the local bookshop will also be sooooooo grateful cos they have been trying to find out which book it was for days for me too!!!!! Thank u thank u thank u!!!!!! Is there a story bout a cushion with something sewed into the lining in this book too????
Thanks so much for your help!!!! Your FAB!!!!! :P
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Hi Bimberella,

Glad it's the right story. Yes, Bedtime Stories (Purnell Sunshine Library) does also contain a story about a cushion with something sewn into the lining. The title is "The Old Red Cushion," and it's about a girl called Eileen. Other stories include "The Talking Doll," "Billy's Butterfly," "The Whispering Pool," "The Other Little Boy," etc.

Anita
HeatherS
Favourite book/series: Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by HeatherS »

This is where the book listing section in the main part of this site will come in so handy - now that it includes short stories it's much easier to search for a keyword that may be in the title (such as 'cushion') and get a listing of where it was published. Can't wait until it's complete. And I'm sure Anita will appreciate the rest after being our resident short story guru for so long! :D
Heather
"Have you held your breath in wonder, at the sky so dark and deep?" - Enid Blyton
http://www.heathersblytonpages.com/
lizzie farrel

Post by lizzie farrel »

[Anita Bensoussane]

>>>(Purnell Sunshine Library) does also contain a story about a cushion with something sewn into the lining. The title is "The Old Red Cushion," and it's about a girl called Eileen. <<<

Hi Anita
I read the story titled 'The Red Cushion' in one of the Popular Rewards series. However i think it's the updated version since the girl's name is Linda not Eileen. The currency seems to be updated too since she has 48 pence with which to buy a present for her mother, can you tell me how much it was in the original?

cheers
Shagufta
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Hi Shagufta,

In Bedtime Stories (Purnell Sunshine Library, 1970) the amount is two shillings and ninepence. To quote: "She had two shillings, a sixpence, and three pennies, but that was all. Two and ninepence." However, I don't know whether that was the amount in the original, or whether it might have been increased to take inflation into account. I've just checked the Book-Listing and the "The Old Red Cushion" was originally printed in Sunny Stories No.378 Apr 19, 1946. It also appeared in The Sixth Holiday Book (1951).

Anita