Trying to identify a story about Gillyflowers/Wallflowers

Looking for a book or a story? Post details here and hopefully someone will be able to help.
acowdrey

Trying to identify a story about Gillyflowers/Wallflowers

Post by acowdrey »

Hi, I've also posted this message in the "short stories" forum as I'm not sure whether I'm looking for a book of short stories or a novel....hope someone can help! Many thanks...

Hello, just wondering if anyone can help me? I remember reading a story as a very small child and I'm absolutely sure it was by Enid Blyton. I think it was one of several short stories in an Enid Blyton book and it was about Wallflowers and (possibly) an elf called Gilly. There was a connection between Gilly and the wallflowers and the story explained why they are also called Gillyflowers.

Does this ring any bells with anyone? I'd love to find the book again.
Hoping someone can help!
Many thanks,
Annabel
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I too remember this story vividly from childhood. It's called "The Wizard's Magic Necklace," and it's in The Enid Blyton Book of Fairies. Gillie is an ugly gnome who borrows (without permission) a wizard's necklace of yellow and red-brown stones to wear to a party. I don't want to spoil the ending, but the story does indeed explain why wall-flowers are known as Gillie flowers. I still think of it every time I see wall-flowers!

Anita
acowdrey

Thank you!

Post by acowdrey »

You absolute star! Thank you so much. Off to see if I can locate a copy to read to my daughter now.

Thanks again!
Annabel
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Hope your daughter enjoys it as much as you did. There are lots of great stories in that book.

Anita
acowdrey

re. thanks

Post by acowdrey »

Thanks Anita,

I've just bought a copy for £1.50 from ebay! Can't wait to receive it now. Thanks for your help!

Kind regards
Annabel