Can anyone help me ?

Looking for a book or a story? Post details here and hopefully someone will be able to help.
lizziewombat

Can anyone help me ?

Post by lizziewombat »

I remember a few eb short stories from my childhood and was wondering if you could tell me which books they came from.
The first was about 2 children who find a newspaper thet has blown into their garden. There are some sad articles in the newspaper which they read, so they ask their mother how people can be so cruel. She explains to them by telling them that a person's childhood can often affect what sort of person they grow into.
The next story was called junket through the window (I think), about a child who throws any food she dislikes through her playroom window when nobody is looking.
The last story I can remember is about a teacher whose brother dresses up as Santa each year for her class party, but one year he refuses to give presents to any children that are spoilt, so his sister devises a maths exercise to see how the children will be spending their pocket money on Xmas presents in order to see which ones are kind hearted and which ones are not.

These stories might all be from the same book, I have remebered them for over 30 years and would love my own children to be able to read them too.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Can anyone help me?

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Ooh yes - I remember those stories! The last one you mention was one of my favourites as a child. The first two - "They Took the Wrong Road" and "Junket Through the Window" - come from Tales at Bedtime (Collins). The third - "Santa Claus is Surprising" - comes from Sunshine Book (Dean&Son Ltd). All three stories must also have appeared in earlier compilations or annuals, but if you recall them from 30 years ago then it's likely that you came across them in the Collins and Dean&Son Ltd editions. "Santa Claus is Surprising" has beautiful illustrations - by Grace Lodge, I think (?).
lizziewombat

Post by lizziewombat »

Thanks very much. I have managed to track down those books and another couple I remember called 'Tales of Long Ago' and 'The Family at Red Roofs' all of which I will look forward to reading with my kids.
I agree with you about the illustrations, they were beautiful.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Hope you enjoy rediscovering these wonderful stories with your children. I read Tales of Long Ago so many times as a youngster that I knew whole chunks of it off by heart. I loved to gaze at the illustrations in that book too - the combination of the pictures and the stories led me into exciting, exotic realms.