Story about flower-painting fairies

Looking for a book or a story? Post details here and hopefully someone will be able to help.
soully99

Story about flower-painting fairies

Post by soully99 »

i've been told in the daffodil story book there is a story about fairies that paint flowers the wrong colors...is this true or is it another book or another author all together...and is there somewhere i can see illustrations of it. i have a friend who remembers this book from childhood and would really love to find it for her. thank you
soully99

Re: Story about flower-painting fairies

Post by soully99 »

just wanted to bring this back to the top so it doesnt get lost
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

You can find details of the Daffodil Story book here http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/book ... Story+Book" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. It only gives story titles, however, and not synopses. I've got a copy of the book but it's a later edition and is highly abridged. I'll look it out for you though, and see if such a story is in it.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
soully99

Post by soully99 »

thank you soooo much. i realized its been reprinted and all that and i'm not looking for the original..she probably didnt have the original herself...its mainly the illustrations i'm after....but if i can figure out what story its from i can maybe find the version she had. i appreciate it
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

Have checked my copy, which is the Latimer House reprint and it only contains -
The Quiet Kite
The Little Sugar Mouse
I Don't Want To
The Squeaky Doll
The Little While Hen
The Mischievous Tunnel
Tommy's White Duck
Betsy-May and the Bear
The Boy Who Wouldn't Race

None of those stories feature flower painting fairies I'm afraid. The Daffodil Story Book is one of 8 Foyle Flower story books, might be an idea to check the story names in some of the other ones just in case.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
soully99

Post by soully99 »

at least i can mark those off the list...thank you so much for checking that for me
shadow
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery / Mary Pollock / Adventure Series
Favourite character: Kiki / Loony

Post by shadow »

As I'm now back from holiday I have access to my books again - hurray. I have the John Gifford Daffodil Story Book and looking through it I can't find a single story about a fairy. Could it have been one of the other flower books?

I also have the Foxglove Story Book but looking through that I can't find anything that matches your story. I don't have any of the other books so can't check them.

Good luck with the search.
If I could live here on this secret island always and always and always, and never grow up at all, I would be quite happy
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

When this query first appeared , I went into the Cave of Books where the contents of each Flower book is listed. There didn't seem to be a story who's title suggested the subject wanted. I have a niggling feeling I've read it too, but can't think where. I haven't been through the Holiday books yet though! There's a thought.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

The only story it makes me think of is the white roses being painted red in Alice in Wonderland. However has anyone checked out the Enid Blyton Book of Fairies? That's got lots of short stories in it.
Society Member
tix

Post by tix »

soully99 wrote on July 31st, 2011 -

“I've been told in the daffodil story book there is a story about fairies that paint flowers the wrong colors...is this true.”

Here’s a “try” although it’s probably not valid … In “Buttercup” there’s a tale about Jinky who paints houses but being a bit of a joker he proceeds to paint Dame Feefo’s dog with pink stripes and Mother Tippy’s black cat with red dots. He even daubs someone’s hens and is finally chased out of Fairyland with no tools of trade save a pot of pink paint. He manages to obtain employment however and I’ve now made a note in my diary to examine a daisy as soon as I see one appear because I don’t think I’ve ever noticed they have pink tips to their petals.

The only reference in “Daffodil” seems to be a poem about Jack Frost who “paints” ferns and flowers on the windowpane. It can be a pleasant exercise to relive some of the stories together with their pictures and a glance through will confirm, once again, the talent of Eileen Soper who has graced the pages of EBSJ seven times with “Illustrations from the Pennant Readers.” Betsy May sitting in a chair with her teddy bear or Tommy with his little duck would make fine examples of the genre although the heading would need to be “Illustrations from Gifford Flower Books.”

“Waterlily” has an elf painter who has made my “Daisy Search” a little more urgent because he colours the petal tips a “bright crimson” (There you are … a fairy that painted flowers the wrong colour). Will they be crimson or pink?

“Marigold” has a daisy that “spread out pink-tipped petals” so that’s two to one.

It’s well worth searching through other books because many of the Blyton stories are similar in plot and title so Daisy’s suggestion re the “Holiday” series is a good one.
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

tiq wrote: I’ve now made a note in my diary to examine a daisy as soon as I see one appear because I don’t think I’ve ever noticed they have pink tips to their petals.
I've seen pink tipped daisies, though images of them online are hard to find! Here's one website that shows themhttp://floraitaliana.blogspot.com/2008/04/bellis-perennis.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(Bellis perennis being the proper name for the daisies that grow on lawns in Europe.)

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I made a "bellis perennis" chain for my friend's little daughter the other week, and lots of the daisies had pink-tipped petals.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
tix

Post by tix »

Fiona1986 wrote on 15 Aug 2011

“I've seen pink tipped daisies …”

Never ever heard of “Bellis perennis” before today but one look at the website certainly put me in the picture. Thank you for that.

What an array of daisies there are, and now a memory has been stimulated of very similar looking flowers that had the pink/crimson ends. It’s surprising how one can forget these little details.

As soon as a daisy pushes itself out of the ground I’ll rush to have a look.
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

tiq wrote: Never ever heard of “Bellis perennis” before today
I'd never heard that name for daisies before I googled them yesterday.

From what I remember of making daisy-chains not all garden daisies have pink on them... just some.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
JulieB654

Post by JulieB654 »

i am also searching for the book about flowers being painted the wrong colour for my mum who read it as a child.

My mum remembers it having a yellow cover, thin spine, glossy cover and girl with watering can in the picture. she think it was published by dean and son. she cannot remember the author or the title, she thinks it didnt have a title.

she remember the story was the fairies/pixies/elves what ever they were having to paint flowers for a queen but one day they overslept and had to paint them at night so the flowers ended up being the wrong colour.

if you founnd what the book is called or know any more details let me know because my mum really wants to buy it again.