Searching for a story! About two sisters. Please help!!

Looking for a book or a story? Post details here and hopefully someone will be able to help.
glowiechloeie
Favourite book/series: The Enchanted Wood; Tales of Toyland
Favourite character: Jo, Bessie and Fanny's parents!

Searching for a story! About two sisters. Please help!!

Post by glowiechloeie »

I remember reading a collection of enid blyton stories when i was much younger than i am now. The book belonged to my mum and she'd won it when she was in primary school (grade school), when she was around 10 or 12 years old.

I lost the book along the way (it got lost in my room and I think it got thrown out) and I feel really bad about it, although I think she's forgotten.

I cannot for the life of me remember the name of the collection, but the first story was about two sisters who were as different as chalk from cheese and night and day. You get the idea - one sister was pretty, kind-hearted and good, she baked really well and somehow caught the eye of a prince (surprise, surprise!) while the other was a right old ... hag. Who couldn't bake, and burnt all the cake and bread.

Does anybody know the name of this collection of stories? I would like to purchase a copy for my mum for Christmas.

Enid Blyton books make you hungry, don't you think?
Wayne Pyer
Favourite book/series: adventure/find outers
Favourite character: Bill Smugs/Kiki/Fatty

Re: Searching for a story! About two sisters. Please help!!

Post by Wayne Pyer »

Welcome to the forums glowiechloeie. I'm sure one of our geniuses will be able to help you. :D
Wayne, living in an Enid Blyton world.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

There is a story called 'The Little Candy House' - about 2 sisters who live in a cottage with their mother and father, one named Rosemary, who is 'sweet and merry' and one called Rosalind, who is 'sulky and bad tempered'. Baking is mentioned, and Rosemary ends up with a prince, whereas Rosalind gets her just deserts! It too was in one of the 'Boys and Girls story books' (number 6). More recently it has appeared in 'The Strange Umbrella and other stories' (1949) and 'Fireside Tales' (1966) (where it is the first story in the book, as you described).

If you look in 'The Cave of Books' on this site and enter the book titles you should see them.

Hope this helps, but unfortunately 'Fire Side Tales' is quite a hard book to find. 8)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Robert Houghton wrote:

Hope this helps, but unfortunately 'Fire Side Tales' is quite a hard book to find. 8)
There is a copy of the 1966 book on ebay right now with a Buy It Now price of £6.00 and free postage. Just type Fireside Tales into ebay's search box. There are also a couple of copies of the Purnell Sunshine Library Fireside Tales collection. This is an entirely differant collection so make sure you get the right (1966) book. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

There are also 22 copies for sale on Abebooks, put Collins in as a keyword and you will get the right edition.

Kate
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

completely forgot about abebooks, which at one time i used agreat deal. :D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
glowiechloeie
Favourite book/series: The Enchanted Wood; Tales of Toyland
Favourite character: Jo, Bessie and Fanny's parents!

Post by glowiechloeie »

thanks everyone for your help!
this is great - that's the story i was looking for! about the good, kind and sweet rosemary and the evil rosalind.

i seemed to recall it was in a collection titled "fireside tales" but didn't realise there were two, so thanks for the tip!