Blyton books that mention canals

Looking for a book or a story? Post details here and hopefully someone will be able to help.
grannybuttons

Blyton books that mention canals

Post by grannybuttons »

I'd like to get copies of any Enid Blyton books that mention canals. I've heard of The Saucy Jane Family and there's apparently a Famous Five, and I've vaguely heard they may be available in compilation. Are these available new or cheaply? I can't find them on Amazon (although there seem to be some hugely priced old editions - too expensive).

I'm only interested in the story and the original pictures, not in collectability or high value.

Thanks for any guidance,
Andrew Denny
Norfolk, England
Kirrin

canals

Post by Kirrin »

I know you are wrong about famous five books mentioning canals but not sure about saucy jane family!
there must be one somewhere though as I am sure enid would have covered that!
grannybuttons

Famous Five and Canals

Post by grannybuttons »

There's apparently a FF story that mentions 'Saucy Jane' (see the reference on this page: http://digbig.com/4eptg )
so I assumed it might be referring to the boat in The Saucy Jane Family.

If she was going to recycle that name, I assumed it might be about the same boat.
gareth jones
Favourite book/series: ADVENTURE SERIES
Favourite character: JACK TRENT

Canals in enid's books

Post by gareth jones »

Saucy Jane is the name of the boat in Five on a hike but she sails on Gloomy Waters not on a canal.
Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.
Kirrin

hi

Post by Kirrin »

Thats right but saucy jane never sounded like a canal boat to me more like one that sailed on lakes.
probably aa canal in famous five would have been to townish even though canals go through pretty rural areas.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Saucy Jane is the title of the second 'Family' book. The first is 'the caravan family', which was followed by 'The Saucy Jane family'. In it, the family of the title have a holiday on board 'The saucy Jane' Its more of a 'house boat' than a canal narrow boat, though they do ride on a narrow boat and have a trip through locks etc.

I wrote about this series in my articles for 'The Enid Blyton journal'.

This 'saucy Jane' has nothing to do with the Famous Five boat of the same name, however, though it does feature canals as its background.

Rob
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member