Mr Potts

Looking for a book or a story? Post details here and hopefully someone will be able to help.
black labrador
Favourite book/series: Advenure and Mystery Series
Favourite character: Fatty, Lucy-Ann, Elizabeth Allen

Mr Potts

Post by black labrador »

I have vague recollections of a story involving a family selling their house to a Mr Potts but the children finding some long lost treasure which means they can keep the house. I can't remember if this was a short story or a book. Does anyone recognise it?
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Re: Mr Potts

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

The book was called The Treasure Hunters, and the children were staying at the home of their grandparents Greylings Manor. And the children were looking for the Greylings treasure. And you're right, Mr. Potts wanted to buy the house himself as he'd heard of the treasure.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

When I saw the heading "Mr Potts" I immediately thought of the spaniel belonging to Twigg in the Mistletoe Farm books!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Ahh yes Mr Potts that well known Doggy-realtor :lol: :lol: :lol:

I love the Treasure Hunters! Read it for the first time as an adult. A teacher in her 50s at my Mum's work borrowed it from me last year as it was her favourite book as a child but had long lost her copy. I still have the little note she put in it when she returned it to me, which said she enjoyed it as much then as she did as a little girl.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Daisy wrote:When I saw the heading "Mr Potts" I immediately thought of the spaniel belonging to Twigg in the Mistletoe Farm books!
Me too. "Potty come here sir, potty by name and potty by nature I say". :lol:
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

"The Treasure Hunters" was my favourite Blyton book as a child (hence my avatar!). The Greyling children always referred to Mr Potts unflatteringly as 'Mr Pots of Money'. Have a look at the entry for it in the Cave, Black Labrador, if you haven't done so already, all the illustrations from the first edition are there.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

I have just taken my own advice and had another look at the Edith Wilson and Joyce M Davies illustrations for "The Treasure Hunters". They are lovely (nice review too, Julie, I don't think I've read it before), but it said at the end 'illustrations by Barbara C. Freeman taken from the Collins reprint'. But the're not there. It is just the Wilson/Davies ones. Perhaps Tony meant to add these too and then forgot. Never mind, I can get my own copy out to see those.

Kate
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Thanks, Kate Mary, glad you liked the review. It's funny how one particular book stands out in the mind after all these years, and for me it is the Treasure Hunters. Probably because I was first introduced to Enid Blyton with this book. :D It will always be one of my favourites.

8)

Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Mr Potts! I too thought about Sam Twigg's dog. Potty by name and potty by nature! :D

The Treasure Hunters is wonderful. The thing I remember most vividly is the map - J-R-E-A-S-U-R-E!

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I love the replacement map they drew - with the thing that looked like a sandwich with a bite out of it.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I also enjoyed reading your review of The Treasure Hunters, Julie. :) I first read this book when I was about ten and found it enchanting. Recently, I found a 1955 reprint complete with dustwrapper in a secondhand bookshop for £2.50, which I think was a real bargain.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Eddie Muir wrote:I also enjoyed reading your review of The Treasure Hunters, Julie. :) I first read this book when I was about ten and found it enchanting. Recently, I found a 1955 reprint complete with dustwrapper in a secondhand bookshop for £2.50, which I think was a real bargain.
Bargain indeed Eddie. My 1950 copy doesn't have a dustwrapper, but I do love the pictures in that edition.

8)

Society Member