Book of the Year?

Looking for a book or a story? Post details here and hopefully someone will be able to help.
nostalgic christine

Book of the Year?

Post by nostalgic christine »

Can anyone help? I had an Enid Blyton book as a child which was split into months of the year. As I remember it, each month had a story, a song etc. One of the contributions to the book was from Brownhills Girls School, Burslem, Stoke-on-Trent. Is the book I am referring to "The Book of the Year?" I want to purchase the book mail order and obviously want to get the correct book.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Book of the Year?

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

That does indeed sound like Enid Blyton's Book of the Year. There are songs, plays, stories, poems and nature notes for each month, as well as an account of what four children did at Miss Brown's little school. Each month also has a number of mottos sent in by different schools, though I'm afraid I haven't time to check whether Brownhills Girls School is definitely among them.

The first edition of Enid Blyton's Book of the Year was illustrated by Harry Rountree, but later editions were illustrated by Eileen Soper. In the Eileen Soper version the contents are in a different order and, despite the fact that the book is slightly larger in size, a few poems and puzzles have been removed.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member