Help - 1952 Book of the Year/Message to the Queen

Looking for a book or a story? Post details here and hopefully someone will be able to help.
alan smith

Help - 1952 Book of the Year/Message to the Queen

Post by alan smith »

hi i wonder if anyone can help i have a 1952 book of the year music by alec rowley illustratons by eileen soper published by evans brothers.
it has a hand written letter as you open the book,it says she is pleased withe message to the queen and the way the animals have been colored and you deserve to be omong the prize winners it sends her love and is sighned enid blyton can anyone help thank you

best regards alan smith
Madpants
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find Outers / Adventure Series
Favourite character: Kiki

Re: Help 1952 book of the year

Post by Madpants »

What exactly do you want to know about it Alan?
alan smith

Post by alan smith »

when was the compotition ive had the book 30 + years tried to find a little information on it but no luck so any info would be good thank you so much for your reply :D
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Enid Blyton ran a competition in her Enid Blyton's Magazine, (beginning in the issue dated November 11th - 24th 1953, Vol. 1, No. 18) in which she asked children to write Christmas messages to "our beloved Queen," who would be in New Zealand on Christmas Day that year. Blyton wrote in her editorial letter: "Every one of you must think of something loyal and loving to say to our Queen for Christmas, and write it down in the place left for it on pages 24 - 25. You must colour the pictures for her too. The best twelve will be sent by air-mail to Her Majesty, and given to her at Christmas-time - messages that will tell her that the children of her own country are thinking of her and remembering again that wonderful Coronation day...Think about the Christmas message to the Queen when you go to bed tonight - I always get my best ideas in bed, and perhaps you will too!" Pages 24 - 25 are the centre pages of the magazine, with a border of animal pictures featuring a kangaroo, a koala, an ant-eater and other animals. There is a space in the middle for the Christmas greeting to the Queen and a place for the child to write his/her name, age, address and school. Perhaps Enid Blyton is referring to that competition in the letter, Alan? Is there a date on it, and the child's name? I'm not sure what you mean about the letter being in the book. Is it actually stuck in?

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Madpants
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find Outers / Adventure Series
Favourite character: Kiki

Re: Help - 1952 Book of the Year/Message to the Queen

Post by Madpants »

Wow Anita, you're a mine of information! :shock: :D
alan smith

Post by alan smith »

anita thats very usfull its not dated and there may have been a name of the child on the note which is stuck in the front of the book the note says----
i am writing to tell you how pleased i am with your message to the queen and with the way you have colored the pictures of the animals she will see during her tour
you derserve to be among the prize winners and i am delighted to send you your prize well done
my love and warm congratulations
from
Enid Blyton

this note has been hand written and i asume its E B it makes much more sence thank you kindly for your info :D :D
alan smith

Post by alan smith »

anita at the bottom of the not it says E B MAGAZINE COMPANY LIMITED so it sounds to me like you have cracked it thanks again for your very usefull info :D
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

It's great to know that Enid Blyton's letter to one of the prize-winners has survived!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member