Can anyone identify what EB books these come from?

Looking for a book or a story? Post details here and hopefully someone will be able to help.
Redrachel76
Favourite book/series: Find Outers/Faraway Tree/ 6 Bad Boys

Can anyone identify what EB books these come from?

Post by Redrachel76 »

I have been lurking here for ages before deciding to join. I'll just introduce myself:
I was born and grew up in the UK. In 1996 I came to live in Israel where I stlll live now. I loved Enid Blyton as a child but stopped reading her books at around age 14 when I grew out of them. I am 32 now and have not read them for 15+ years, as I was forced to leave my EB collection behind in the process of emigrating to Israel. I suppose I am here for nostalgia reasons.

Anyway, the last few weeks I have these hazy memories of 2 scenes I read in EB books.
It's been driving me mad. I'ed be so grateful if someone could tell me what books these are from.

The first memory of is of this secret passage through either a door or cupboard? in an old house. The children also find a very old man who found the secret passage. He tells them he knew of it when he was young but another man caught him, whipped him and threatened him that if he told anyone else of it that he'ed sell him into slavery. I remember being shocked by the harshness as a child. I remember the whole book being really exciting in itself but can't remember the book. It was definitely something involving children having an adventure or mystery - not Book of Brownies type. I also remember the way the man talked was not the way the middle class kids talked.

The 2nd memory is of kids having picnic/feast behind a waterfall.

Does anyone know what books these are from?
I know they are probably too vague but I'ed be ever so grateful if someone could identify these two books.

Thank you
Rachel
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Can anyone identify what EB book these come from?

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Welcome to the website and forums, Rachel. The book containing the secret passage sounds as if it could be The Ring O' Bells Mystery about Snubby, Barney, Roger and Diana, with the old man being Old Grandad.

The second book might be The Valley of Adventure, in which Jack, Philip, Dinah and Lucy-Ann (and Kiki the parrot!) make their home in a fern-cave behind a waterfall, though there are a few other books featuring waterfalls too.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Redrachel76

Re: Can anyone identify what EB books these come from?

Post by Redrachel76 »

Thank you Anita,

Yes Old Grandad sounds familiar here.

It's made me want to go and buy them to look at them again. Now I can sleep again :D
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Glad you finally found the books again, Rachel. You might consider joining the Society and reading the Weekly Serials. :D

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Welcome, Rachel. What a wonderful thing the internet is; wherever you are, you're never far from a Blyton! How did you end up emigrating to Israel, and where did you live when you were in the UK?
Society Member
Redrachel76

Post by Redrachel76 »

Hello Moonraker,
I was born and grew up in Sheffield. At age 15 I got a virus, then I got M.E and a muscle pain rheumatism type illness called Fibromyalgia. The NHS dealt with it rather badly at the time. So at age 19 my Mum who was born in Israel, out of desperation decided to take me to Israel for medical care. It helped, possibly saved my life here because in Israel, like some European countries, there is less of a queue for medical care than on the NHS. Also the hot weather is better for rheumatism type illnesses. I ended up staying for my health. My parents decided to move. But you know when you permanently move to a new country to a smaller flat in a hurry due to illness, you can't take everything, you have to get rid of some things. I had to get rid of the Enid Blyton books.
:)
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Thanks for that, Rachel. Unfortunately, illnesses such as ME and fibromyalgia still raise an eyebrow with medical clinicians today. Because they are difficult to diagnose, many of the so-called sufferers play on it in order not to work and so claim benefits. In fact, many patients I have dealt with are doing a fair bit of wool-pulling.

However, there are genuine cases as you most certainly are. In fact, my wife suffers with fibromyalgia which at times gives her considerable discomfort - and she isn't wool-pulling! Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any real treatment for it, just 'take anti-inflammatories when the pain is bad' is the best advice she gets. Like ME, I am sure most clinicians think a lot of it is attention seeking. Jane is the complete opposite of an attention seeker, she avoids attention like the plague!

I hope your illness is under control, Rachel; it is just a shame the NHS let you down in your hour of need.
Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

By way of encouragement, I've heard that 80% of ME sufferers get 80% better - and I'm one of them. If only I knew what triggers a good period I'd bottle it! Setting up and running my own business is a lifetime away from me 20 years ago, when at my worst I spent the Spring in a darkened room, and couldn't bear even to have the TV on. I was so bored that I took up knitting!

My partner Mark also has the condition (not really to be reccomended!) and now I'm so much better I can get quite frustrated with him at times! He has struggled quite a lot earlier his year, but the last couple of weeks has really got stuck into getting The Swan ready for business!

Best wishes

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017