Secret Seven Hardbacks

Looking for a book or a story? Post details here and hopefully someone will be able to help.
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Secret Seven Hardbacks

Post by Fiona1986 »

I'm trying to complete my collection of Secret Seven Hardbacks. I need 'Puzzle for', 'Shock for', 'Look out' and 'Fun For'. The 11 I do have are the ones with the characters lined up like paper dolls across the top bottom and middle of the boards in dark blue NOT the ones with the funny s shaped squiggles. Does anyone know if the last three books were published with the paper doll like boards?
I've seen 'Puzzle for' with the paper doll characters on eBay (out of my price range) but all the copies of the last three I've seen have had the squiggle covers.
Obviously if they never printed those books to match the earlier ones there's no point in me waiting for a copy to go on sale!
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Re: Secret Seven Hardbacks

Post by Lenoir »

My copy of "Good Old" (1960) has the paper doll design, but my copy of "The Secret Seven" (1961 version) has the S.
It seems that the paper dolls only go up to 1960, although my collection is not so big that I can prove this beyond doubt.
If so, the last 3 books (which were only printed after 1960) will not be available with the paper dolls. I don't have first editions of them so I can't be absolutely sure.
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Dolls, Fiona! What would Peter think, that's the Secret Seven! :lol: Sadly you can give up your search, as the last three books just have the initials SS on them or in your words, 'those funny s shaped squiggles'. You're upsetting Peter again! :lol: Perhaps I had better think of putting pictures of some of the more interesting cloth boards into the Cave.
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I'm sure Peter would have been appalled. Thanks for the replies, but I'm devastated now! I didn't have any hardback secret sevens as a child, so when I started collecting them I went with the character ones rather than the s ones, and now I can't have a matching set!
At least I can finish the set though.
Why on earth would they stop publishing them in matching covers? Did they change publisher?
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

It is frustrating not to be able to finish a set. Its a similar story with the Adventure series as published by the Thames Publishing Company. They produced beautiful hardback editions of the first six books with really nice Tresilian illustrated jackets..... then didn't publish the final two books at all. So I had to complete my collection with the Macmillan editions which are also lovely (being the originals) but look a bit odd on the shelf due to a size difference.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member