picking/storing apples - make haste???

Looking for a book or a story? Post details here and hopefully someone will be able to help.
Raci

picking/storing apples - make haste???

Post by Raci »

I remember reading a short story as a child about 2 pixies/goblins/gnomes picking apples of their trees to store in an apple loft. I think 1 was called make-haste or something similar.

Anyway... 1 picked his apples too quickly, without care and they were ruined. The other took his time and laid them out in neat rows so if 1 went bad it couldn't affect the others.

Does anyone know what this story is called or which book it is in as I would like to find it again?
oldbookfan

Post by oldbookfan »

mmmm reminds me of a story which I think was in the second holiday book, about two children staying with their grandparents (I think) and they were storing apples in the loft. The girl child didnt check the apples like she was taught/told and consequently this bad apple affected all the other apples and they all went bad. Of course - another moralistic tale from Ms Blyton but, as you can see, one that I will always remember.
Raci

Post by Raci »

I thought I'd write a little more about the story I'm looking for to see if I can jog anyones memories. :D

The 2 pixies/goblins/gnomes I think lived next door to each other but both had apple trees in their garden.
1 called, I think, make-haste used to do everything very quickly but the other was a lot slower but more careful in what he was doing.
Hence when the apples were ready for harvesting 1 looked after the apples and the other ruined them through lack of care.
I don't think they wanted to eat the apples straight away, I think they were trying to store them for a while but I cant remember the reason for this. But trying to keep them is why make-hastes went bad from being dumped in a heap while the others apple's had kept well because he'd laid them out in neat lines, so they wouldn't touch one another.

If anyone can think of any similar stories please let me know. Thanks :D
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Hi Raci

This story was called 'Make Haste and Be Careful' and it appears in Enid Blyton's FIFTH Holiday Book. It probably appears in other more modern Dean anthologies, but that's where I managed to find it. They were storing their apples in order to sell them at christmas time and make money. So Be Careful had loads of money and Make Haste had none.

Its a good story!
Raci

Post by Raci »

Hi Robert! :D

Thankyou so much!
That is definatly the story I was meaning! :D :D :D :D

I think mine was a newer version as I don't remember having any holiday books - but now I know the title it will be so much easier to find a book with it in!
:D Thankyou!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Make Haste and Be Careful

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

The other day I bought a couple of Award short story books "for my son" (ahem!), from a charity shop. One of them, called The Magic Clock and Other Stories, contains "Make Haste and Be Careful," which is the story described by Raci. This is probably not the book you remember, Raci, as it was published in 1993, but I thought you might like to know about it anyway.

Anita