Can anyone confirm that this is NOT an Enid Blyton book?

Looking for a book or a story? Post details here and hopefully someone will be able to help.
linian

Can anyone confirm that this is NOT an Enid Blyton book?

Post by linian »

I know nothing about Enid Blyton. (Though after browsing through this website, I think I must remedy that!) I am in process of putting my library of "Pansy" books on LibraryThing.com . Midway through my project, whilst pulling data from amazon.co.uk, this odd entry showed up:

Title: "Pansy: John Remington, Martyr"
Author: Enid Blyton
Publication: Pan (1999), Paperback

Now, "Pansy" (Isabella Alden) DID write a book called "John Remington, Martyr". Do you know if Enid ever wrote ABOUT "Pansy" and this particular book of hers? Your search box did not return any results, and I suspect that this odd entry may just be attributed to a data entry error at amazon, but I'm taking it to Blyton wisdom for my answer.

Thank you!

PS: In trying to figure out the answer to this question, I discovered that there are over 11,000 LibraryThing members who have cataloged their own copies of Ms. Blyton's books (compared to just 2,000 for my "Pansy"!)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Can anyone confirm that this is NOT an Enid Blyton book?

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I'm pretty sure Enid Blyton didn't write a book of that title and agree that it's probably just an error in the listing.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Funnily enough a similar query came in quite recently. Someone sent in a list of books and suggested that Amazon were deliberately using Enid Blyton's name to sell books, my reply was as follows:-

"An interesting observation! Six of the books are actually Blyton books. I went through all the other links and they all have one thing in common, the publisher for all was Pan (1999). When you look at the authors, I very much doubt if they are using Enid Blyton’s name to sell the books though, most of these authors sell better than her anyway!! James Patterson, Stephen King, Michael Crichton, Clive Cussler and Danielle Steele!! Also interesting is that the same books on amazon.co.uk don’t mention Blyton. I clicked the Enid Blyton link on a James Patterson book and checked the first 60 pages, and all the books listed were Blyton books (though some were just the German continuation books that use her name). I think this is just a glitch in the amazon.com system, and if anything it would be an advantage for EB as people looking at these books were not looking for Blyton books in the first place. I don’t think it is anything to get too worked up about."

As you can see the common link was Pan (1999), but at the time I couldn't find any of these listings on Amazon.co.uk, but you now seem to have found one!
linian

Post by linian »

Thank you so much for your quick responses! I appreciate your helpfulness, and am so glad to have the mystery solved. Thank you!