A character called Loveday? Is there one?

Looking for a book or a story? Post details here and hopefully someone will be able to help.
Belly

A character called Loveday? Is there one?

Post by Belly »

Someone mentioned to me of a Blyton story with a little girl called Loveday featuring in it?

There isn't one as far as I know?

Anyone know of one, and if so where does she appear? Thanks.
Kirrin

?

Post by Kirrin »

Ive never heard of it!
Raci

Post by Raci »

Someone mentioned to me of a Blyton story with a little girl called Loveday featuring in it?
Hi!

I can only think of one childrens book with a character called Loveday in it.
However it is not by Enid Blyton.

It is called 'The Little White Horse' by Elizabeth Goudge.
However the character called Loveday is a lady not a little girl.
The main character in the book though is a little girl called Maria Merryweather.

If you'd like anymore details - let me know!
Raci
Belly

Post by Belly »

Raci wrote:
Hi!

I can only think of one childrens book with a character called Loveday in it.
However it is not by Enid Blyton.

It is called 'The Little White Horse' by Elizabeth Goudge.
However the character called Loveday is a lady not a little girl.
The main character in the book though is a little girl called Maria Merryweather.

If you'd like anymore details - let me know!
Raci
That sounds a great story, I don't remember reading it as a child at all and it looks like a children's classic?

May have been read to me when I was v tiny as I used to have an imaginary horse friend as a v young child that sounds v similar! (Please don't laugh :oops: )
Raci

Post by Raci »

Hi! :D
I loved 'The Little White Horse' when I was younger but havn't read it for a long time so am a little rusty on the story.

Inside cover says copyright - 1946.
But my copy I've just discovered is a revised edition 1st published in 1988 - I guess things like that don't matter to you as a child!
It also says it won a Carnegie Medal.

My version is a full length story with 238 pages but no internal illustrations so I guess its aimed at 12 ish plus rather than younger (hard to guess without re-reading it)

Back of book says

'For a fleeting instant Maria thought she saw a little white horse with a flowing mane and tail, head raised, poised, halted in mid-flight, as though it had seen her and was glad.'
The beautiful valley of Moonacre is shadowed by the memory of the Moon Princess and the mysterious little white horse. To her suprise Maria Merryweather a stranger to Moonacre Manor, finds herself involved with what happened to the Moon Princess so many years before. She is determined to restore peace and happiness to the whole of Moonacre Valley. And Maria usually gets her way....

My memories of this book are good enough that even without remembering enough of the storyline to give you a plot outline I would still recomend it! I also vaguely remember someone telling me a version had been on TV at some point - but I can't guarentee the acuracy of that. LOL

And :lol: I'm sure we all at some point in our lives had imaginary people/ animals. I know I had an imaginary tiny person to look after - I guess thumbelina sized :D I expect if people are honest they all had an imaginary someone/thing!

Anyway........
I hope that helps!
Raci
Belly

Post by Belly »

Raci wrote:Hi! :D
I loved 'The Little White Horse' when I was younger but havn't read it for a long time so am a little rusty on the story.

Inside cover says copyright - 1946.
But my copy I've just discovered is a revised edition 1st published in 1988 - I guess things like that don't matter to you as a child!
It also says it won a Carnegie Medal.

My version is a full length story with 238 pages but no internal illustrations so I guess its aimed at 12 ish plus rather than younger (hard to guess without re-reading it)

Back of book says

'For a fleeting instant Maria thought she saw a little white horse with a flowing mane and tail, head raised, poised, halted in mid-flight, as though it had seen her and was glad.'
The beautiful valley of Moonacre is shadowed by the memory of the Moon Princess and the mysterious little white horse. To her suprise Maria Merryweather a stranger to Moonacre Manor, finds herself involved with what happened to the Moon Princess so many years before. She is determined to restore peace and happiness to the whole of Moonacre Valley. And Maria usually gets her way....

My memories of this book are good enough that even without remembering enough of the storyline to give you a plot outline I would still recomend it! I also vaguely remember someone telling me a version had been on TV at some point - but I can't guarentee the acuracy of that. LOL

And :lol: I'm sure we all at some point in our lives had imaginary people/ animals. I know I had an imaginary tiny person to look after - I guess thumbelina sized :D I expect if people are honest they all had an imaginary someone/thing!

Anyway........
I hope that helps!
Raci
That's great, I'll buy it for my daughter :D . She is only 9 months but already has a great collection of Enid Blyton etc!

I imagine that a high % of Blyton readers had 'imaginary' pets as we may be more imaginative than most?
Tess

Post by Tess »

Bit late I know, but just read this!
There's a girl called LoveJOY, not Loveday, in a book for children not by Enid Blyton but by Rumer Godden, title 'An Episode of Sparrows',
Tess
Belly

Post by Belly »

Thanks.

Loveday is a girl's name originating from the West Country.

Lovejoy, I think of the TV antique's dealer. :D
Kitty
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers/Malory Towers
Favourite character: Alicia, Fatty, Gwendoline

Post by Kitty »

There's a Loveday Perowne at Elinor Brent-Dyer's Chalet School. I think she might have been one of the (many!) head girls, but I don't have my CSs to hand.....
Rainbow's End

Re: A character called Loveday? Is there one?

Post by Rainbow's End »

Actually, i vaguely remember a story with a little girl called loveday in it, but it wasn't by enid blyton. Unfortunately, as it was a long time ago, when i was probably about 12, (35 years ago), i can't remember anything whatsoever about it, only the name and that it was definitely a little girl. Sorry, i know this isnt helpful..but hopefully, something will resurface from the mists of time...... :( :|

rainbow

ps; i'm new by the way, hi all.
Belly

Re: A character called Loveday? Is there one?

Post by Belly »

Loveday is also a girl character in Rosamunde Pilcher's 'Coming Home' I believe.

Just read the excellent 'The Shell Seekers' by the same author.
lizarfau
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George

Re:

Post by lizarfau »

Kitty wrote:There's a Loveday Perowne at Elinor Brent-Dyer's Chalet School. I think she might have been one of the (many!) head girls, but I don't have my CSs to hand.....
Yes, she was head girl in Shocks for the Chalet School, but for one term only, sandwiched between two rather more illustrious head girls (in Brent-Dyer's view), Bettany sisters, Peggy and Bride.