Is it Blyton or not?

Looking for a book or a story? Post details here and hopefully someone will be able to help.
Adventure

Is it Blyton or not?

Post by Adventure »

I remember reading a book involving the Famous Five, but I don't know whether it's Blyton or not.

It was like this:
George had a friend keeping a shop of antiques, and one day he had a call from the police, and the FF were in his shop, so he kept them in charge of the shop, and went off. Then somehow everyone was distracted out of the shop by some way, except for Tim. The people who distracted the FF were the forgers of the phone call. They took a valuable statue out of this person's shop, I don't remember his name, but it started with J, I think. Then they put the statue into a lorry and went off, but not until they had locked up the shop with Timmy inside. while they stopped at an inn for something, George, who had been trailing the lorry, jumped into the driver's seat and drove off for sometime, and then she lost control of the lorry and it hit a tree. Afterwards, a family passing by took her in their car to the police station. That's all I can remember.
What's the title of the book? Can anyone tell me whether it's a Blyton or not? If not, then who wrote it, when, and where?
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Re: Is it Blyton or not?

Post by Daisy »

Definitely not by Enid! I haven't read the other ones which I think were written in French and then translated.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

The book obviously made an impression on you as you seem to have described it accurately! The title is The Famous Five and the Inca God and it was written by Claude Voilier. The books were originally written in French, but 18 of them were translated into English by Anthea Bell and published in this country by Knight Books. This title is No. 9 in the series. They are no longer in print in English, so if you are looking for the book it will have to be a secondhand copy.
Adventure

Post by Adventure »

Thanks for the information.
Adventure

Post by Adventure »

Got another question.

I remember reading a short stories book (don't whether it's Blyton or not) in which there was a story about a Mr. Stampabout, and he had some loose tiles on his roof, so he got a worker to do it for him, and it was a cold day, but Stampabout made the worker work and popped in to have a cup of warm chocolate, after saying that he'll come out and watch the roof-repairing person at his work from one of the chimneys. While Stampabout was drinking his chocolate, the clever worker went up to the roof, and finding only two chimneys, one with smoke coming out of it, and the other without, went and spread glue all over the second chimney. When Stampabout came and sat on it, he didn't feel anything, but when the worker finished his work and went off, he found that he was glued to the chimney. He stamped and stamped and then some of the roof-tiles came out again. He was extremely angry. I don't remember what happened next. But I want to know whether it is an EB book or not.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

That story is called "Mr. Stamp-About in a Fix," Adventure. I have a copy of it in Stories for Bedtime (Dean&Son Ltd) but it has appeared in other collections too. If you check the Book Listing (see the link on the Home Page) you can see which other books contain that story.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
RDMorrell
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Secret Seven, Adventure
Favourite character: Anne

Post by RDMorrell »

For more information about Claude Voilier and her books, check out this Wikipedia article (which I created):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claude_Voilier
Best Regards

ROWAN M.

A room without books is like a body without a soul - Cicero
Adventure

Post by Adventure »

Thanks, Anita and Rowan.