Please help me!

Looking for a book or a story? Post details here and hopefully someone will be able to help.
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

I am sure this page will help you. :)

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Ming, you've done it again! At the risk of running Tony's wrath, I never knew that page existed.

This site is a labrinth of tardises (what is the plural of tardis?)
Society Member
jen
Favourite book/series: Secret Island
Favourite character: Jack or Phillip from Adventure

Post by jen »

I suggest Tardi Moonraker - Tardises is just too much of a mouthful!
A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

It does, and it also sounds like an Australian saying "tortoises"!
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

A good example of a thread going swiftly off topic... :wink:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
jen
Favourite book/series: Secret Island
Favourite character: Jack or Phillip from Adventure

Post by jen »

I got told off the other day for saying "tortoise", apparently its pronounced "tortus"
A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

moonraker wrote:Ming, you've done it again! At the risk of running Tony's wrath, I never knew that page existed.
A week late, but I have only just seen this! I didn't know the page existed either, Nigel. Worse still I don't even know where Ming found it. :oops:
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

FAQ!

FAQ > Formatting and Topic Types > What is BBCode?

or

Profile > Signature > BBCode is on is written beside it. Click on BBCode and all will be revealed.

Society Member
gframpton1

Re: Please help me!

Post by gframpton1 »

Thank you Kitty. I don't know about the book you people are talking about, but I have been trying to find a book that I read forty years ago for at least ten years now. Based on your description I am 99% sure that it is: 'The School in the Dell', by Marjorie Cleves. Other scenes from this book that I remember include: an opening scene where the main character is arriving by train and sees the school in the distance. Shortly thereafter she arrives at the school in the midst of a birthday party; she eats a bit of B'day cake and promptly faints because it is too 'rich' for her. The room that she is assigned to is called; 'the primrose room' and is painted in yellow and green colors. One of the adjacent rooms is 'the lavender room'. There is a scene where the ghost walks from one end of the library to the other. As a result of this scene, when I went to boarding school two years later, I was never able to walk through the library after lights out. This was a bit of a problem as the bathrooms were on the other side! I don't/didn't usually read British schoolgirl books either now or when I was six years old. The only reason that I read this one was that my Grandfather found it discarded on the street in Southeast London in 1966 and he gave it to me. For some reason it got stuck in my head and I have been trying to find it. As a result I have read most of the 'Mallory Towers' series to see if I could identify it. Thanks for your help; now I can go back to being a guy.
Kitty
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers/Malory Towers
Favourite character: Alicia, Fatty, Gwendoline

Re: Please help me!

Post by Kitty »

Oh, I do hope it's the one you remember - if it isn't it still could be a different Marjorie - would it be cruel to say she seemed to rewrite the same story over and over again!

There's a small but distinguished band of boy girl's-school-story fans and collectors - most of them start off on the manly stuff, but migrate. If I remember correctly, Terence Stamp is a great fan of Dorita Fairlie Bruce's Dimsie stories for girls!!
Gwendoline lay down, angry. She determined to make herself miserable and cry.