Help find goblin bus story please

Looking for a book or a story? Post details here and hopefully someone will be able to help.
lucylocket

Help find goblin bus story please

Post by lucylocket »

Hello, my brother and I were deeply affected by a story where two children (probably naughty ones) set off on a normal journey, we think to market, but found themselves on a bus with increasingly strange passengers as the bus continued on its journey. They became very frightened and were tugged and pinched by goblins and elves. We've forgotten how they got home. Can we lay this ghost to rest by finding the story with your help?
Thank you.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Welcome to the Forums, Lucylocket. There may be more than one story on the same theme, but I wonder whether you might be thinking of "The Wrong Bus." I loved that story as a child. It's about Colin and Sue who set off to visit their aunt but find themselves on a bus full of fairy-folk. The fairy-folk are not at all impressed with the children's bad manners and decide that their parents must be to blame. I don't want to give any more away but it's an excellent and memorable read. "The Wrong Bus" appeared in Everyday Stories (Purnell, 1972, orange cover) and in The Sixth Holiday Book (1951.)

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
lucylocket

The Wrong Bus

Post by lucylocket »

Hello Anita,

Thank you so much, that sounds exactly right and I am mightily impressed with the speed and precision of your reply. I will order it straight away for my brother's (49th) birthday.
Incidentally, I don't know if this is the right way to go about things as I have never joined a forum before, but I noticed a question about a cushion with something hidden in it, and I believe this is another faint but happy memory from childhood. There was a cushion that had been recovered many times. The children found lots of money inside the innermost layer. All the different fabrics were beautifully described and I can still remember the excitement when they found the hidden money crackling inside.I didn't realise this was another Blyton masterpiece!

Lucylocket