HELP. I can't remember the title of this book

Looking for a book or a story? Post details here and hopefully someone will be able to help.
jenp

HELP. I can't remember the title of this book

Post by jenp »

Many years ago, as a small child, i was given a second hand book which I am fairly sure was by Enid Blyton. I think it was called Nature's Year or something similar, but I could be completely wrong!

It was loosely based on a couple of young children who had moved from the town to the country and who knew nothing about natural history. They were befriended by an elderly gentleman in the village (highly dubious these days!!) who took them for a walk each month and pointed out what was going on in the countryside.
I do remember one particular incident where aconites were confused with lesser celandine, and descriptions of how stitchwort came to have that common name.
Along with a particuarly inspiring primary school teacher, it engendered a lifelong love of natural history and ultimately led to my doing a degree in Biology.

I would love to be able to find a copy of this book, but cannot remember the title, or, indeed, if I am barking up completely the wrong tree.

Can anyone help? Please?
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Rambles With Uncle Nat is one possibility. I don't have that book myself but the following link contains details of publication:

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/auth ... php?id=498

Other possibilities are Rambles with Zacky the Gipsy or Country Walks with Uncle Merry. I have both of those in a set of 1970s Armada paperbacks called Nature Lover's Book numbers 1-4. However, I think the original titles were different.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

HELP I can't remember title of this book

Post by Daisy »

I think the book you're looking for could be Enid Blyton's Nature Lover's Book. This is a green A4 size and the character is Uncle Merry who takes the children on 2 walks per month. The children are Pat(a boy), Janet and John who get to know their neighbour Mr. Meredith who becomes Uncle Merry to them. The first story contains the aconite/celandine reference. The book was first published in 1944. Hope this helps.