Blyton Quotation - Where is it From?

Use this forum for quizzes and other Blyton games.
LuvMyBlyton

Blyton Quotation - Where is it From?

Post by LuvMyBlyton »

Great forum :) I hope it's OK if I start a name that Blyton Quote game :)

I hope this format is OK, I wasn't sure what to put. :?

"I like every horse on the farm, even Boodi....You can't help liking all the animals really, can you, when you live so close to them. I mean--a farm's rather like one great big family, and even the tiniest chick belongs to it."

Which Enid Blyton book is this quote from?

EXTRA POINTS...

Who said it?
To Whom?
What Context?
Raci

Re: Name That Blyton Quote

Post by Raci »

This is from six cousins at mistletoe farm
But having only read it once I'm not certain of the children's names so my guess for the extra points :lol: would be:

One of the cousins talking to one of the Longfield's when they've settled in to life on the farm.

Here's another one
The little island seemed to float on the dark lake-waters. Trees grew on it, and a hill rose in the middle of it. It was a mysterious island, lonely and beautiful. All the children stood and gazed at it, loving it ........
What book is this from and why is it significant?
puffin62

Post by puffin62 »

Hi

As I have only read portuguese translations, sometimes it's difficult to guess what character are you referring to.
However on Lorraine's quote I think it's Susan, with her love for horses, talking to her cousin Roderick (?) - Rodrigo in portuguese - when the Longfields settle in, as Raci told.

Ah Raci, what a nice one!!! Secret Island of course... introducing us to that cosy little island in the middle of the lake as we slowly get thrilled by the foursome's adventures and misadventures. That's a pitty sequels hadn't kept the same level !!!

Cheers
LuvMyBlyton

Re: 6 Cousins at Mistletoe Farm

Post by LuvMyBlyton »

You're both close! It's Cyril (of all people :o ) talking to Jane, who's lending him her horse :)

I think it's Puffin's turn!
puffin62

Post by puffin62 »

Hi

Hmm... Cyril, the poet, my goodness, who would say it? :( and :o

Now... let's see if you have a good memory (no need to worry, it'll be a piece of cake, I'm sure...) :D

As I told you, I only have portuguese translations. Thus, I am posting you a quizz instead of a quote (it can be from a one-off or from any series):

"Someone is in a tree house, doing an all night long surveillance.
Suddenly there's a splash, splash sound coming from the river (allegedly from a couple of swans, gliding gracefully in the water), and later on some voices are heard along with what seems to be a boat engine"

Questions:

Which book is it?
Who is that person?
What is the context?

Cheers
sayantani

answer to question

Post by sayantani »

hey
that's from "tally-ho" cottage.ern in spying from his aunt's tree-house on the lorenzo cottage at tally-ho, being looked after in their supposed absence by mr and mrs larkin!
sayantani
puffin62

Re: answer to question

Post by puffin62 »

sayantani wrote:hey
that's from "tally-ho" cottage.ern in spying from his aunt's tree-house on the lorenzo cottage at tally-ho, being looked after in their supposed absence by mr and mrs larkin!
sayantani
OK!!! :D

Now it's up to you, Sayantani.
puffin62

Post by puffin62 »

:D Hello... sayantani... Anybody there? :D
Raci

Post by Raci »

:D Here's a quote to get things moving again. :D
The big swimming-pool down by the sea had been hollowed out of a stretch of rocks, so that it had a nice rocky, uneven bottom. Seaweed grew at the sides, and sometimes the rocky bed of the pool felt a little slimy. But the sea swept into the big natural pool each day, filled it, and made lovely waves all across it. It was a sheer delight to bathe there.
Lulie

Post by Lulie »

Wasn't that from First term at Malory Towers, when Darrell first sees the swimming pool?
Raci

Post by Raci »

Yes its from First term at Malory Towers.

Your quote Lulie ...........
Lulie

Post by Lulie »

Sorry for the delay. Here's my quote:
The car ran up a winding drive and stopped before a lovely old house. It was long and rather low, with very tall chimneys. The windows shone with leaded panes, and the sides of the house came out to form a sunny courtyard, in which walked some white fantail pigeons.
Raci

Post by Raci »

This is from The Treasure Hunters when the children are going to stay with their Grandparents.

____ ate so many that the others told her she would turn into an apple herself. "Your cheeks are already like two rosy apples," said .... solemnly. "You be careful, ____"

(I took the names out and left blanks so it wouldn't be too obvious :D )
Raci

Post by Raci »

:D I seem to have caught you all out with this quote so I've added the next few lines to see if anyone can work it out :D

____ ate so many that the others told her she would turn into an apple herself. "Your cheeks are already like two rosy apples," said .... solemnly. "You be careful, ____"
____ went to look in her mirror. She saw two plump cheeks, as red as the apples she had picked. "Oh goodness!" she said. "I really must be careful!"
So poor ____ didn't eat as many apples as before, but still, as Mother said, six or seven apples was quite enough for anyone, and that was the number that ____ still got through every day!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

That is Penny in The Children of Willow Farm.

How about this?:

Thanks awfully for your letter. Yes, it was our great-aunt who died. We were rich before, and now I suppose we're richer which is an awful nuisance, because what we really want to do when we're older is just to run a riding-stables, and you don't want a lot of money for that.
At least, if you do, you can earn it, and that's fun.