Can you name the village?

Use this forum for quizzes and other Blyton games.
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Can you name the village?

Post by Boatbuilder »

I've just been looking through some old images from colour slides I took in a quaint English village forty years ago. They were taken on one of the May Bank Holiday's (can't be certain which) in 1979.

Can anybody guess which village it is?

Here is a clue: It was used as one of the filming locations for a well known 1967-released film about animals.

"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Re: Can you name the village?

Post by number 6 »

I can't remember the first name of this beautiful village, John. It's in the Cotswolds, but it's eluding me at the moment. The village has been used in a few first and second World War films due to it still retaining its olde Worlde look. Can't be 100% sure, but I think some scenes from Saving Private Ryan were shot here. Due to strict Conservation rules, no cottage has TV ariels, either! :D I'm not gonna cheat and look it up, but I'll have a stab in the dark. Something -Coombe? I'm sure I know it, assuming it's the one I'm thinking of! If it is, then I've stopped off at the nearby Train Station! I'll have a think about its name. I'm hoping my one and only brain cell will kick into gear soon! :roll:

Edit: Had a few mins to think about it..is it Castle Coombe? Just been looking at photos of Corfe Common and Castle. This is when the penny dropped! :roll:
Last edited by number 6 on 15 Jun 2019, 22:42, edited 1 time in total.
Boatbuilder

Post by Boatbuilder »

Yes, it is Castle Coombe Adrian. The film I referred to was 'Doctor Dolittle', starring Rex Harrison, Anthony Newley and Samantha Eggar.

The 'leading lady' in the first picture is my dear mum.:D

Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Ah, yes, Dr Dolittle! I just couldn't think of a film title with Animals in it. My mind went blank...(as usual!). I've only visited Castle Coombe once, but I can remember it as being absolutely beautiful. I must admit, I had to scratch my head a little bit when I first saw your superb photos, as I do have an habit of mixing it up with Castle Carey!! :roll:
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Ah, I THOUGHT it looked familiar!! I've been to Castle Coombe, but also to several other classic Cotswold villages and I get them mixed up a bit. I almost said Bourton-on-the-Water, but I could see this one was too olde-worlde for that... Well done, Adrian. :D
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Thanks, Courtenay! I love the beautiful villages of the Cotswolds. Unfortunately, I haven't visited any for 20 years, or so. It's one of those things that gets put on the 'to do' list, but never seems to get done! I do enjoy seeing old photos and I thoroughly enjoyed those that John posted. :D
Last edited by number 6 on 15 Jun 2019, 22:43, edited 1 time in total.
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

My first thought was Bourton on the Water, then I thought it might be Dunster. The clue about animals then made me think of All Creatures Great and Small, but then realised 1967 was too early for that, anyway it was a TV series. It also reminded me a little of Cheddar.

Obviously I was wrong on all my reckonings - looks a lovely place though. :D
Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Lower Slaughter was the other one I thought of, but I could tell it didn't look quite like that either! (Interesting name for two very charming villages, I always think. :wink: )
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

My favourite Cotswold village is Lower Slaughter - mostly to do with the fact I first encountered it on a crisp and sunny October afternoon as the sun was slanting down, turning everything even more golden than usual, and several cottages were burning wood, giving the place a deliciously olde-worlde scent! :D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Boatbuilder

Post by Boatbuilder »

Your mention of 'burning wood' reminded me of the time we lived in Cheltenham in the late 1970's, Rob, and in particular one favourite pub in the tiny Village of Withington, about 15-20 minutes drive away, which had a lovely log fire in the colder months. It was lovely place to go for a bite to eat and a pint and enjoy the log fire. In the summer we'd sit outside and our girls would enjoy watching the swans that graced the stream that ran alongside the gardens. Great memories. :D

It's not far from the National Trust Roman Villa at Chedworth - so would interest Courtenay as well. ;)

The Mill Inn - Withington

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Rob Houghton wrote:My favourite Cotswold village is Lower Slaughter - mostly to do with the fact I first encountered it on a crisp and sunny October afternoon as the sun was slanting down, turning everything even more golden than usual, and several cottages were burning wood, giving the place a deliciously olde-worlde scent! :D
Sounds magical! :D I just drove through "the Slaughters" one day last year when I was in the area, but didn't have time to stop and explore very far. I saw more of nearby Bourton-on-the-Water, where I had dinner.
Boatbuilder wrote:Your mention of 'burning wood' reminded me of the time we lived in Cheltenham in the late 1970's, Rob, and in particular one favourite pub in the tiny Village of Withington, about 15-20 minutes drive away, which had a lovely log fire in the colder months. It was lovely place to go for a bite to eat and a pint and enjoy the log fire. In the summer we'd sit outside and our girls would enjoy watching the swans that graced the stream that ran alongside the gardens. Great memories. :D

It's not far from the National Trust Roman Villa at Chedworth - so would interest Courtenay as well. ;)

The Mill Inn - Withington
Thanks, John — must put that on my list too!
Society Member

Boatbuilder

Post by Boatbuilder »

Courtenay wrote:Thanks, John — must put that on my list too!
Image I wonder how long your 'list' is now, Courtenay. :D :wink:

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Put it this way... it's a good thing it's entirely mental, not written down, or it'd waste a lot of paper. :wink:
Society Member

Boatbuilder

Post by Boatbuilder »

Not if it was a digital one on your computer. :D

Society Member