'78 series Famous Five Quiz

Use this forum for quizzes and other Blyton games.
daanton
Favourite book/series: FAMOUS FIVE
Favourite character: All the Five, but especially Anne.

Re: '78 series Famous Five Quiz

Post by daanton »

Nope.

Here's a hint: one something she already has (and it's not a dog)!
Famous Five TV Fan
daanton

Post by daanton »

Remember our last quote?
daanton wrote:
"I'd rather have a dog like Timmy than _ _______ ____ ____ any day!"
It was "I'd rather have a dog like Timmy than a brother like Dick any day!"

And it was said by Anne, to George, in "Five Go Off in a Caravan", as they and Timmy were catching up to the boys—and eventually passing them—as they all run from their caravan camp and scamper up the slope to where Tranter's Circus was camped, to ask if their new friend Toby would like to join them down below for tea:

ANNE: "I'd rather have a dog like Timmy than a brother like Dick any day!"
GEORGE: "At least he doesn't leave dirty poo marks everywhere!"
ANNE: "No, he makes terrible jokes instead....!"
[The two girls chuckle.... as they and Timmy wind up passing the boys...!

Oh, sorry, I thought you were still playing.
Famous Five TV Fan
Anne Gracie

Post by Anne Gracie »

Which episode involves the throwing or dropping of a knife four times throughout the episode, and name the scenes?
daanton

Post by daanton »

Was it "Five Have A Wonderful Time"?
  • one of the gypsies, Bufflo, throwing a knife at Rogers who was having a smoke—actually, at his cigarette;
  • a knife seemingly thrown at J,D,A&G while they were searching through the dark inside of Faynights Castle that certain night;
  • Anne, carrying said knife along with her torch, used said knife by throwing it away from the hall distracting a pursuing Potterham while she would escape the castle and get help from the gypsy caravan camp; and
  • Bufflo threw a knife at Pottersham, making sure he didn't escape!
Famous Five TV Fan
Anne Gracie

Post by Anne Gracie »

Most definitely! Only I had two different ones. When the knife, which seemingly appeared from nowhere was carried upstairs to where Professor Terry-Kane was it was dropped once again on the wooden flooring. Very noisy in an abandoned castle! The gypsy folk then threw a knife in the window to rescue the prisoners. It was attached to string and a rope ladder used to climb down on. Roger’s cigarette was struck by a whip, not a knife. I haven’t read the book in years so I can’t remember what, if any, each significance of the features of knives in this story are, or whether it was a televison adaption plot line, filler, or prop. I know that most episodes did not stay true to the books, in varying degrees.
FiveFanDownunder
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five
Favourite character: After forty years or so I still can’t decide.

Post by FiveFanDownunder »

Whose turn is it to ask a question? I’ve only just seem this thread.
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

The usual rule in games here is that whoever answered the last question correctly gets to post a new one, but if it's been more than a week since the last answer, it's open to anyone. :D
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
FiveFanDownunder

Who said ... “Why’s it so hot? Feel the wall!”

I wonder??

Sorry if it’s a duplicate. 118 pages and all ...
Anne Gracie

Post by Anne Gracie »

Only a rough guess here, and I haven’t checked, but was it Five Go Adventuring Again? Dick said this to Anne when they were in the tunnel behind the fireplace? I’ll be ashamed if I get it wrong LOL but if it is I’m willing to have another go! :wink:
FiveFanDownunder

Anne Gracie wrote:Only a rough guess here, and I haven’t checked, but was it Five Go Adventuring Again?
Adventuring Again is correct! Although who said what to whom may need to be checked. However for plucking that one out of thin air, applause is due! s for taking so long to get back here; I checked in for a while after I posted but got a bit busy in the run up to Christmas.

Thin lips, that Mr Roland, hidden under that beard. There must have been some superstition or belief that Blyton was tapping into here? I've never searched it up.

Your turn then!
Anne Gracie

Post by Anne Gracie »

Thanks! Glad I was that close with my answer!

In Five are Together Again what is the model of the train and carriages used in the opening scenes?

Where is the real location of the castle shown in the scene as the train is nearing Kirrin Station?

and, complete the sentence, and who said this? ‘..., I can’t run _ _ _ _.’
FiveFanDownunder

Good heavens ... triple barrelled ... let me get back. Think timv posted the answer to one of these at one point. I’ll get back to you :)
FiveFanDownunder

OK .. the castle is Arundel Castle in West Sussex .. thanks to timv and Luke on the locations forum as the brains trust on that one. The best match I can get for the loco from internet images is a 33 class ... but am bamboozled by the passenger cars I'm afraid. Still working on the rest!
Anne Gracie

Post by Anne Gracie »

Hey, thanks for giving it a go! I didn’t actually know the answers to the first two myself. :wink: The last part of the three-parter is not too hard a one to get. :wink:
Anne Gracie

Re: '78 series Famous Five Qui

Post by Anne Gracie »

Anne Gracie wrote: 31 Dec 2020, 23:02and, complete the sentence, and who said this? ‘..., I can’t run _ _ _ _.’
Mr Tapper said, ‘I can’t run a circus like this!’

I thought I had better give the answer as it’s been a while with no responses. Also, I had to laugh when Quentin says in this episode, ‘stay where you are, don’t come any closer, I’m in quarantine’, to George when the Five arrive at Kirrin Cottage. :wink: