Make up a book title, and guess what it might be about.

Use this forum for quizzes and other Blyton games.
Nair Snehalatha

Re: Make up a book title, and guess what it might be about.

Post by Nair Snehalatha »

Yes its not at all bad Darrell-- we can have another title and carry on What about it? :) :)
Darrell71
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Bill Smugs, Kiki, Elizabeth Allen,

Post by Darrell71 »

Oops my bad completely slipped my mind..... how about...

The Adventurous Four: The Twins Take Charge.

Something in which Pippa and Zoe are bravest if possible, but of course you can decide whatever you want.
You can call me Sunskriti!
MJE
Favourite book/series: Famous Five series
Favourite character: George; Julian; Barney

Post by MJE »

Darrell71 wrote:The Adventurous Four: The Twins Take Charge.

Something in which Pippa and Zoe are bravest if possible, but of course you can decide whatever you want.
     Glad to see this topic resurrected again - but, *please* - the twins are Jill and Mary - not Pippa and Zoe!

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
Darrell71

Post by Darrell71 »

I'm talking about the Adventurous Four, with the three books Shipwrecked, Stranded and Trapped. Of course the twins are Pippa and Zoe! :? Or is it because I have a new edition??????? :? :? :? :?
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Yes, I'm afraid the twins' names were changed from Jill and Mary to Pippa and Zoe in the 1990s. Also, Enid Blyton only wrote two full-length books (The Adventurous Four and The Adventurous Four Again!), plus a short story. In 1998, the titles of the two books were altered to The Adventurous Four Shipwrecked! and The Adventurous Four Stranded! At the same time, the short story was lengthened to make a third novel called The Adventurous Four Trapped!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Mehul
Favourite book/series: Secret Seven, Six Cousins and FFO
Favourite character: Peter, Roderick, Jack from SS, Susan etc

Post by Mehul »

Darrell71 wrote: The SS try to solve a mystery, as they've had nothing for days, and actually trap a man in the shed, and call Peters father. He phones the police, who come immediately. They barge in, guns drawn, and come to a stop. The man is Superintendent Hope of the next big town, who has come to investigate a case! The SS have made a terrible mistake! Their parents are very angry, as is the super, and all other police. The parents are deciding how to punish the children, who meet once. "Mom has been badgering me to tell her the very worst punishment!" says Colin, groaning. "You know what the worst punishment will be? Susie joining the SS!!" observes Jack. A grim faced Peter's mother is hurrying towards the shed at the moment, to call Peter and Janet in for lunch, and she overhears! Immediately, she calls Jacks mother, and the two decide Susie shall join the seven, and become the head! Things go from bad to worse when the children learn of this, and Janet sulks. Susie comes, and crows over them all terribly. But when the Enticing Eight stumble upon what Superintendent Hope has been working on for days, Susie realises what a clever lot they are! But the eight solve it deftly and well, and undo the wrong that they've done. Susie gets the credit, but she tells the other parents that the others were the real solvers. All's well again, and the last book of the series ends with Susie being a half member of the Seven!
That is more unlikely than George saying "I love being a girl."
Point 1. The S.S. will never trap any innocent man in a shed. At least, not before confirming.
Point 2. Peter will never agree to Susie joining the S.S. and will agree even less to her being the head. He would rather disband the group than that.
Point 3. Susie will ask to bring Jeff, Binkie, Bony and all the rest to the meeting.
And Point 4. THEIR SHED IS TOO SMALL.
SPORTY EEL was here.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Is it necessary to be quite so critical? Darrell has used her imagination and come up with something original. Her description contains only the bare bones of the story, and things could be explained convincingly if it were fleshed out.

Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

You beat me to it, Anita! Here's my reply, anyway: We don't know enough about the story for most of your points to be completely accurate, Mehul. Of course the Seven wouldn't trap an innocent man in their shed but he must have looked quite shifty so they acted quickly. Yes, I think you're right about no:2 though. Most of the members would probably resign anyway. No:3, I think Susie can be a good sort at times however annoying she can be! I think she would try to be as sensible as possible if she was actually to be a member of the SS. From the illustrations the seven comfortably fit into the shed; I think there would be most definitely room for one more.
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Another point is that Darrell was sticking to the guidelines set, which were that the story must be about Susie joining the Secret Seven:
Nair Snehalatha wrote:--- what about the next topic-- can it not be--- When Susie joined the Secret Seven--- and they become The Enticing Eight. :) :)
Anyway, back to the new question set by Darrell:
Darrell71 wrote:The Adventurous Four: The Twins Take Charge.

Something in which Pippa and Zoe [originally Jill and Mary] are bravest if possible, but of course you can decide whatever you want.

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

The Adventurous Four: The Twins Take Charge.

In this latest story the four are once again by the seaside where their boat "The Andy" is kept. Poor Andy is ill so Tom and the twins are left to their own devices. All is well for a day or two until Tom slips on the seaweed covered rocks and twists his ankle very badly. He is angry that he has to stay at home resting while Jill and Mary are free to roam the seashore on their own. A strange box is washed ashore. The twins take it home. What is inside? Will the twins show Tom? Read how they secretly decide to take "The Andy" and sail to a nearby island in an effort to solve the mystery of the box.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Carlotta King
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Barney, Secret Series, Famous Five
Favourite character: Bill Smugs,Lucy-Ann,Snubby,Mr King,Diana,Kiki,Paul

Post by Carlotta King »

I wonder if Tom was going across the rocks to look for his camera?? That's when most of his scrapes happen isn't it! ;) ;)
"Fussy Gussy! Polly, Polly, Polly-gize!"

Society Member
Darrell71

Post by Darrell71 »

Yeah seriously!
Poppy wrote: Yes, I think you're right about no:2 though. Most of the members would probably resign anyway.
Well actually I was thinking something like their parents wanted them to suffer so they would learn their 'lesson', so then they make it mandatory for them to continue the club regularly, but make Susie head.

:)
MJE
Favourite book/series: Famous Five series
Favourite character: George; Julian; Barney

Post by MJE »

Things have got a bit confused here - but if I understand the sequence of things correctly, I think it's now up to you, Daisy, isn't it, to propose a title which someone else can write a summary for?

Regards, Michael.

P.S.:
     While I do agree that some of the events concerning Susie in the Secret Seven story do sound most extremely unlikely, it might be possible for them to happen if the right (unusual) circumstances arose - so I don't think someone other than the inventor of the plot can summarily rule those events out as completely impossible. (And perhaps this thread isn't meant to be completely serious, although I don't suppose we would want completely nonsensical plots to be proposed either - but that one didn't seem to me in that category, anyway.)
Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Thanks for the memory jog Michael - I'd clean forgotten that bit!

Next title: "More about the The Family at Redroofs ".
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

I haven't read this one for a while so things might not be entirely accurate. Here goes, anyhow:

More About the Family at Red roofs:

Under threat of having to give up the house due to money problems, the family have to rent one of their rooms to guest to earn extra money. Mr Jackson has to go away to work for 6 months and the children and Mrs Jackson have to wait on the guests. Molly gets the job of cooking and working at the local school, she becomes unhealthy due to Woking to hard. Shirley has no job because she goes out to school each day. Peter misses his last year at school and works in the garden (being short of money all staff had to resign). Anyway an old grouchy woman comes to rent a room and picks arguments with Molly who flares up through tiredness. She finds fault with the garden and though Peter laughs it off Molly argues with the old woman all the more.

Molly is excited to get the chance to move up in her working career and goes for an interview after an especially bad argument with the old woman. The household are just as excited because if Molly got the job their financial difficulties would be over! But poor Molly doesn't and is devastated the let the family down. She didn't get it because she couldn't concentrate well at the interview because she was still all hot and bothered about her argument. Anyway the story goes on to describe how the old lady goes and a nice young man comes and offers Molly the job she was hoping to get after she deribes her failure in her last attempt. She is thrilled. Mrs Jackson later announces that the rent costs and Mollies wages would pay for their problems and the families difficulties are finally over. Mr Jackson returns.... etc.
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member