The Three Billy-Goats Gruff, Ladybird 1968

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

The Three Billy-Goats Gruff, Ladybird 1968

Post by pete9012S »

" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Re: The Three Billy-Goats Gruff, Ladybird 1968

Post by Fiona1986 »

Ahh do you even have children if you don't start going on about trolls and trip-trap-tripping over MYYYYYY bridge every time you walk across a bridge?

Not that children are required for this sort of behaviour. But they're a good excuse :lol:
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Judith Crabb
Favourite book/series: Boys' and Girls' Circus Book/Adventure Series

Re: The Three Billy-Goats Gruff. Ladybird 1968

Post by Judith Crabb »

True, Fiona, and it's awful to think that today's children are less and less likely to be be brought up on the traditional tales. I believe that my first genuine memory (as distinct from all the memories reconstructed from what older people tell us happened) is from 1953 and the reception class at Infant school: a bridge made out of tiny desks and chairs, and classmates (and possibly me, but I don't remember) taking turns at re-enacting 'Three Billy-Goats Gruff'. Probably such activities are forbidden these days (workplace safety issues).
Once again, thanks Pete.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I loved traditional tales as a child, as did my own daughter and son. The rhythmic prose, the repetitions and the conventions (e.g. things happening in "threes", and ingenuity overcoming brutality) make them a delight to read over and over again, either to an audience or to oneself. I had all of the "well-loved tales" that were published by Ladybird in the 1960s and 1970s, and my children read them as well. I still have my childhood copies and continue to read them from time to time. Robert Lumley's illustrations for The Three Billy-goats Gruff are wonderful with a deliciously scary troll, quirky perspectives and an idyllic-looking meadow.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Aussie Sue
Favourite book/series: Secret Island, Faraway Tree & FindOuter Series

Post by Aussie Sue »

My children and I spent hours playing 'The Three Billy-Goats Gruff, using that Ladybird book making bridges with tables and chairs. Wonderful book and a wonderful memories
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I too had this book and many others in the series. I loved them and read them over and over again. They were my introduction to reading. I don't remember ever playing teh game but I do remember looking under the bridge in our town to see if any trolls were hiding there.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Thanks, Pete. I can't get your link to work for some reason (may be slow internet at my end), but we had a later (probably 1970s) Ladybird edition of the same tale. I think the illustrations were a bit different and the language was probably simpler, as it was meant to be for the youngest readers, but it was very sweet and charming.
Fiona1986 wrote: 10 Sep 2022, 23:29 Ahh do you even have children if you don't start going on about trolls and trip-trap-tripping over MYYYYYY bridge every time you walk across a bridge?

Not that children are required for this sort of behaviour. But they're a good excuse :lol:
Exactly!!! :lol: We didn't have a suitable bridge for that near us, but there was a good one in the park across the road from my maternal grandmother's place in Melbourne, so whenever we visited and went for a walk there, we all had fun re-enacting the story. I (being the youngest) was Little Billy Goat Gruff, Mum was Middle-sized Billy Goat Gruff, Dad was Big Billy Goat Gruff, and my sister was the troll!! :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

Courtenay, the link might not show up anything on your screen as nothing appears to happen. However, if you check your 'downloads' folder you should see the PDF there.
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

This wasn't a Ladybird book I owned as a child, but I was familiar with the tale.

I think small children love being able to join in with repetitive phrases, such as MYYYY Bridge. :)
Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

A classic tale from my childhood although I never had the Ladybird book.
Society Member
dsr

Post by dsr »

Fiona1986 wrote: 10 Sep 2022, 23:29 Ahh do you even have children if you don't start going on about trolls and trip-trap-tripping over MYYYYYY bridge every time you walk across a bridge?

Sorry, I'm too busy playing poohsticks on my bridges. The trolls don't get much of a look-in.

There is a generation of children in a village called Hundborg in Denmark, who English skills were improved - or perhaps not - by listening to a recording of 8-year-old me reading the Three billy Goats Gruff. Possibly that exact edition. We had got to know the teacher, who asked us for English language recordings of stories suitable for the tiny tots to learn English speech and pronunciation.
DSR
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

Obviously we trip-trap-trip across first, then return with our chosen sticks (or pine cones, leaves, whatever we can find) :lol:

Had to teach my partner pooh sticks as he was the sort of deprived child whose family never played it when he was young...
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Boodi 2
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-outers, The Six Cousins
Favourite character: Ern

Post by Boodi 2 »

I must have been another deprived child as I never heard of "The Three Billy-Goats Gruff" until I read about them here today (perhaps I was too addicted to Enid Blyton??). However, at least I was aware of Pooh sticks!
Society Member
Debbie
Favourite book/series: Adventure Series
Favourite character: Anne

Post by Debbie »

Yes we trip trap over that bridge, and play Pooh sticks and whenever we walk in London Street (or any one with flagstone) remind each other to "watch our feet" because of the bears.
I will add my children roll their eyes at me now, but I know it's ever so 'portant how you walk.
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

Step on a crack, break your mother's back...

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member